Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

says_stuff

macrumors member
Original poster
Jun 16, 2017
I watched some videos searching for specific changes, but i found nothing in particular, so, could somebody mention some of the changes that they can see in ios12 latest betas notes app?

So far i got that you can change lines for sketching and new markup tools. Any changes in font sizes, paper color, tables and stuff? Do you still have to use the shortcuts bar in ipad for options?

afir93

macrumors 6502a
Jan 5, 2018
I didn't really notice any changes functionality-wise, and yes stuff like creating a pdf or locking a note is still in the "Share"-menu, but one thing that baffles me a bit is: where are the formatting options and the button for inserting tables in iOS 12 on the iPad? Because outside of keyboard shortcuts (if you have an external keyboard connected), I can't seem to find them anywhere. In the bottom bar there's only the option for checklists and the "+" for scanning documents and the like, but formatting options are nowhere to be found for me. Not in the "Share"-menu either.

Am I blind and I'm missing them somewhere, or are these options currently not visible/accessible on the iPad, outside of keyboard shortcuts?

Edit: Also in regards to your question OP, there are some new options for drawing. You now have a broader color picker and can determine the size of your brushes when in drawing mode, I don't think that was possible before. Definitely a nice enhancement. Can't think of any changes outside of drawing mode however.

Last edited:
Reactions: says_stuff

gwhizkids

macrumors G4
Jun 21, 2013
I didn't really notice any changes functionality-wise, and yes stuff like creating a pdf or locking a note is still in the "Share"-menu, but one thing that baffles me a bit is: where are the formatting options and the button for inserting tables in iOS 12 on the iPad? Because outside of keyboard shortcuts (if you have an external keyboard connected), I can't seem to find them anywhere. In the bottom bar there's only the option for checklists and the "+" for scanning documents and the like, but formatting options are nowhere to be found for me. Not in the "Share"-menu either.

Am I blind and I'm missing them somewhere, or are these options currently not visible/accessible on the iPad, outside of keyboard shortcuts?

Edit: Also in regards to your question OP, there are some new options for drawing. You now have a broader color picker and can determine the size of your brushes when in drawing mode, I don't think that was possible before. Definitely a nice enhancement. Can't think of any changes outside of drawing mode however.

The changes to drawing line up nicely with the idea of an Apple Pencil for the iPhone, too.

says_stuff

macrumors member
Original poster
Jun 16, 2017
Because outside of keyboard shortcuts (if you have an external keyboard connected), I can't seem to find them anywhere.

There aren’t any options outside of keyboard shortcuts on ios11 either, bugs the hell out of me. Thanks for answering guys, you saved me the trouble of installing a beta only for this.

afir93

macrumors 6502a
Jan 5, 2018
There aren’t any options outside of keyboard shortcuts on ios11 either, bugs the hell out of me. Thanks for answering guys, you saved me the trouble of installing a beta only for this.
Pretty sure there are in iOS 11, I think they are on the left and right of the bar that also shows typing suggestions when the on-screen keyboard is visible. But for whatever reason, they removed that from there in iOS 12 and I can't seem to find it anywhere else.

Either it's hidden somewhere else now where I can't seem to find it, or it's an on the part of Apple (and a pretty glaring one, considering we have gone through several betas now already).

says_stuff

macrumors member
Original poster
Jun 16, 2017
There are options for tables on the shortcut bar (“the bar that also shows typing suggestions” as you said on your last post) on ios11, you are right, forgot about those, but they are only there for some reason. If you turn off shortcuts bar (like me), welp, no tables or formatting for you..

View attachment 776466 Is anyone else annoyed by the new iPad keyboard layout. The ‘number shift’ and ‘other keyboards’ key have been swapped round. I keep bringing up a new keyboard instead of entering a number.
This guy seems to have them?

afir93

macrumors 6502a
Jan 5, 2018
There are options for tables on the shortcut bar (“the bar that also shows typing suggestions” as you said on your last post) on ios11, you are right, forgot about those, but they are only there for some reason. If you turn off shortcuts bar (like me), welp, no tables or formatting for you..

This guy seems to have them?
Well that's weird, thanks for pointing it out. They are definitely not there for me on iOS 12. The gaps to the left and right of the suggestions for me are just blank spaces. Maybe there's an option somewhere for it that I'm missing?

Edit: Nevermind, I figured it out. Under keyboard settings in the Settings app, the "shortcuts"-option has to be turned on. Now the shortcuts appear for me aswell as in the screenshot. I can't remember ever turning that setting off (and I pretty clearly remember that I still had those shortcuts in iOS 11), but I don't know; maybe the beta caused it for some reason.

Still, it's not very great design that such important note taking tools are hidden behind an obscure setting somewhere in the Settings app. I mean, as you said, these options are nowhere else in the app, if you deactivate typing suggestions as a whole they just vanish into thin air aswell and just aren't accessible. You would think that Apple would put these things into another place that's not dependent on keyboard settings, like in the empty gap to the empty left of the checkmark-symbol a the bottom of the page or somewhere like that.

Attachments

• IMG_0489.png
    IMG_0489.png
    1.7 MB · Views: 302
Last edited:

Jim

macrumors member
Aug 3, 2000
Chicago, IL
It seems as though the search field only looks at the titles of the notes and not the body like the MacOS version does. Sort of disappointing.

bmac89

macrumors 65816
Aug 3, 2014
It seems as though the search field only looks at the titles of the notes and not the body like the MacOS version does. Sort of disappointing.

Doing a search in notes does search the content of notes. Atleast it does for me in iOS 11.
Not sure, but maybe it is a bug or your device needs to finish indexing.

Unfortunately it does not highlight the actual word(s) when you open a searched note, however you can then search a specific note by opening the note and tapping the share button > find in note
Doing this will highlight the searched words within the note and you can scroll through with the up/down arrows if there are multiple results.

I use the keyboard shortcuts but if you want the basic formatting options you can do bold, italics, underline, strikethrough as well as indent right/left by highlighting text and tapping to bring up the contextual menu.

Reactions: Feenician
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.