Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

lexvo

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Nov 11, 2009
The Netherlands
When I enter a new note on my iMac in the Notes app, this is correctly synced to my iOS devices. However, when I add text to the same note this is often not synced. I can only solve this by quitting and restaring the Notes app on my Mac (and forcing a sync).

This is annoying as I often encounter incomplete notes on my iPad or iPhone. Syncing between iOS devices works OK as far as I can see.

Anyone else noticed this? Is there another way to solve it?

lexvo

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Nov 11, 2009
The Netherlands
I just now discovered that it has something to with the moment notes are synced. When I add text to a note and immediately close the Notes app, the extra text isn't synced.

However, when I wait a little after adding text then the extra text is synced to my iOS devices.

I think because I close the app immediately after adding text, the app has no chance to sync. I think it should do a last sync when the app is closed.

Edit: with closing the app I mean closing the window. In the case of Notes this also quits the app. If the app wouldn't quit (like a lot of other OS-X apps do, I think Notes would have a better chance to sync).

Last edited:

GerritV

macrumors 68020
May 11, 2012
Yes I know :)
But with the new Cloudkit sync is much more reliable. I think that this is a bug in the iMac Notes app and not in iCloud.
Thanks for commenting Lexvo, I'll take your word for it. Looking forward to a bug free iCloud.

sracer

macrumors G4
Apr 9, 2010
where hip is spoken
When I enter a new note on my iMac in the Notes app, this is correctly synced to my iOS devices. However, when I add text to the same note this is often not synced. I can only solve this by quitting and restaring the Notes app on my Mac (and forcing a sync).

This is annoying as I often encounter incomplete notes on my iPad or iPhone. Syncing between iOS devices works OK as far as I can see.

Anyone else noticed this? Is there another way to solve it?
I have. When that happens I start up "Activity Monitor" and kill the "cloudd" process. OSX will then restart it and seems to resume syncing. But I only do that when I'm sure that syncing is not working.

lexvo

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Nov 11, 2009
The Netherlands
I have. When that happens I start up "Activity Monitor" and kill the "cloudd" process. OSX will then restart it and seems to resume syncing. But I only do that when I'm sure that syncing is not working.

Thanks. In my case I solve it by quitting Notes and start it again, thus forcing a sync. But sometimes I forget it and discover that some text is not synced to my iPad when I'm underway.

By the way, a new note always syncs. It is only in the case that I add some text to an existing note and quit the app that the sync doesn't work. If I add text, wait a little and then quit the app, sync is OK. That's why I think that in my case it is something in Notes for iMac not working correctly. I think when quitting the Notes app, it should do a sync.

RedTomato

macrumors 601
Mar 4, 2005
.. London ..
Thanks. In my case I solve it by quitting Notes and start it again, thus forcing a sync. But sometimes I forget it and discover that some text is not synced to my iPad when I'm underway.

By the way, a new note always syncs. It is only in the case that I add some text to an existing note and quit the app that the sync doesn't work. If I add text, wait a little and then quit the app, sync is OK. That's why I think that in my case it is something in Notes for iMac not working correctly. I think when quitting the Notes app, it should do a sync.

On iOS, quitting an app gives it a bit of time in the background to tidy up, do a sync etc. On OSX, quitting an app is pretty terminal, and apps generally only get allowed to do a quick local save then exit.

It would be nice if Notes could do a cloud sync before exit, but this would easily lead to Notes hanging for a while if the wifi happened to be off, or the network was having a bad day. OSX has a bit to learn from iOS on this issue.

OSX has frequently had issues with file saving anyway. I remember writing to Steve Jobs many years ago complaining that iWork had no auto-save, leading me to lose several hours of work, when Office had had auto-save for many years. I doubt he ever saw my letter, but the very next year, iWork had auto-save implemented.

Reactions: lexvo

GerritV

macrumors 68020
May 11, 2012
On iOS, quitting an app gives it a bit of time in the background to tidy up, do a sync etc. On OSX, quitting an app is pretty terminal, and apps generally only get allowed to do a quick local save then exit.

It would be nice if Notes could do a cloud sync before exit, but this would easily lead to Notes hanging for a while if the wifi happened to be off, or the network was having a bad day. OSX has a bit to learn from iOS on this issue.

OSX has frequently had issues with file saving anyway. I remember writing to Steve Jobs many years ago complaining that iWork had no auto-save, leading me to lose several hours of work, when Office had had auto-save for many years. I doubt he ever saw my letter, but the very next year, iWork had auto-save implemented.

Auto-save can be helpful for some, but it should have been an option.

lexvo

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Nov 11, 2009
The Netherlands

Yes. By the way, by "quit" I meant closing the app window. In the case of Notes closing the app window also means quitting the app, in contrary to many other apps where only the window is closed (and you have to do a quit from the menu or dock).

If Notes wouldn't quit when closing the window it would have a better chance doing a cloud sync.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.