Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

dinkyrdj

macrumors member
Original poster
Sep 1, 2013
Hello All,

I was wondering if anyone knows of iPad notes app that meets two fairly specific requirements:
  1. Allows the use of a stylus on the iPad
  2. Allows user to sync notes between the iPad and a Mac using a cable. My use case requires that I do NOT use iCloud, Dropbox, or any other form of cloud syncing. Ideally, I'd just use a USB cable to sync the computer and the iPad.
I'd appreciate any ideas you might have. Thanks!

Last edited:

Xenden

macrumors 6502
Jun 14, 2013
Rio Rancho, NM
Notability does all that. It is what i use every day for school. It keeps the files synced between iPad, iPhone, and Mac. Great backup support.

iOS version

https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/notability/id360593530?mt=8&v0=www-us-ipad-learning-app-notability

Mac version

https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/notability/id736189492?mt=12

It is a great app. You can record audio while you're writing. When you play back the audio, the program shows what you were writing as the audio was captured.

Great app, can't recommend highly enough.

dinkyrdj

macrumors member
Original poster
Sep 1, 2013
It keeps the files synced between iPad, iPhone, and Mac.

Notability looks promising. I just want to confirm (as I couldn't find this information on their website/help), can Notability sync with a USB cable, i.e. sync without iCloud? Thanks!

IGregory

macrumors 6502a
Aug 5, 2012
Notability will work for you but you may wish to look at Evernote as it is also on the top shelf.

dinkyrdj

macrumors member
Original poster
Sep 1, 2013
Neither Notability nor Evernote will sync without a cloud interface. iTunes really wasn't made for syncing data.
That's what I was afraid of. It would be nice if there was a notes software that allowed syncing over USB cable without forcing cloud storage. Oh well.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.