Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

mikeymike88

macrumors member
Original poster
Jun 19, 2007
Just wondering if anyone knows of an app that can sync notes from the iphone to the desktop? I've looked at a few task management apps like OmniFocus, but that is a lot more complex than I need. All I basically need is an app that will let me make or edit notes on the phone and then sync to the desktop, or vice versa. I recently switched from a Palm Treo and I was able to do this using the notes section on the phone, and it would then sync with the Palm Desktop. Now I'm looking for something like this for the iphone... any ideas? Thanks!

dacreativeguy

macrumors 68020
Jan 27, 2007
Amen brother. I'm waiting for this too.

As a hack, I use the Notes option in Leopard Mail.app to make notes to myself. These notes stay in my IMAP inbox and can be viewed (but not edited) on my iphone. Better than nothing.

James Hatts

macrumors newbie
Mar 1, 2008
Have a look at Evernote.

You can't currently edit notes on the iPhone, but it seems to meet the rest of your needs.

mikeymike88

macrumors member
Original poster
Jun 19, 2007
Yeah, the notes hack with Mail.app works for syncing them to the iphone, but not the other way around, right? And that is what I really need. Evernote looks pretty good too, but I really wish I could edit the notes on the phone. Hopefully someone will make a simple app that can do this soon

LaundryCzar

macrumors newbie
Aug 28, 2008
Delaware
Maybe if enough people ask for it....??

MikeyMike88:
I agree. I have had to keep my Palm software just to keep all my notes. I am desperate for a similar ap for my iPhone.
Maybe, just maybe, if enough people ask for it, someone will make it. Fingers crossed.

Ntombi

macrumors 68040
Jul 1, 2008
Bostonian exiled in SoCal
I'm still waiting for the perfect notes app too, but in the meantime, check out Things. It's syncable (via WiFi), editable in both formats, and it is the best I've come up with so far. There's a desktop version available on their website. Right now it's free as it's in Beta, but it will eventually cost $40.

Not as good as my Treo's Memos, but better than the rest.

SFC Archer

macrumors 68000
Nov 9, 2007
Troy, MT
Have a look at Evernote.

You can't currently edit notes on the iPhone, but it seems to meet the rest of your needs.

I use Evernote and edit my notes just fine on both iPhone and PC. If you format a note on your PC that adds graphics like a check box then....no...you can not change anything on the iPhone.

If you leave your note as a note then you can edit it to your hearts content.
I would recommend Evernote as I think it would be your stated needs.

LaundryCzar

macrumors newbie
Aug 28, 2008
Delaware
Thanks for the ideas

Thank you to everyone.
I have now looked over both Things and Evernote. For me, Evernote is the closest because very few of my notes are To-Do items. In fact, I think have only two out of 135 or so.
I don't like having to use an online service. I would prefer to sync locally either when I plug in my iPhone to my computer or using my local WiFi network.
I had not heard anything about the chance for an updated version of Notes. That would be ideal and if it comes to pass, I will delete my newly acquired Evernote account.

LaundryCzar

macrumors newbie
Aug 28, 2008
Delaware
SyncBook may be worth a try

Good Morning:
My quest for a Palm Memo like app for the iPhone has lead me to SyncBook. I have written to and heard back from the company and I think this may be the answer, at least to begin with.
My biggest complaint with Evernote was that the notes didn't actually reside on my iPhone. When traveling I often find myself out of data or wifi range and unable to read the notes. Since most of mine relate to travel, that is a very bad thing. Oh, sure, EverNote is nice but if I can't have the notes on my phone than it is pointless. I don't like having to sync via wifi but I can deal with it.
Here is my conversation with Ross of SyncBook fame:

Me: Do the notes reside on my iPhone or on a server somewhere?

Ross: The notes reside on your iPhone. No remote server is used.

Me: In other words, can I view, edit and create notes on my iPhone without any sort of data connection?

Ross: Yes!

Me: When I sync to my PowerBook, can I sync directly or must it be via wifi or a ad-hoc netwrok I create on my PowerBook?

Ross: You need WiFi network. An Ad-hoc wifi network works fine.

Me: I am sure you hear this all the time, but please let me add my voice to the rabble: I need to find something that gives me the functionality of the memos application on my Treo.

Ross: Yes, I do hear that.... :)

I hope this helps a little.

MrMinor

macrumors 6502
Jul 13, 2008
I use Notebook. If you have a free account with toodledo then it syncs with that. If you want a task manager as well then you can by Todo by the same company that makes Notebook and that synces with toodledo as well. I switched from a Treo as well and this is what is working (and working very well) for me.

Indydenny

macrumors 6502
Jan 5, 2002
Midwest
Thanks

I use Notebook. If you have a free account with toodledo then it syncs with that. If you want a task manager as well then you can by Todo by the same company that makes Notebook and that synces with toodledo as well. I switched from a Treo as well and this is what is working (and working very well) for me.

I've been using Todo with Toodledo but didn't know about Notebook. I LIKE it!
Thanks for the heads-up. The two apps from Appigo are my favorites.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.