Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

mustgroove

macrumors regular
Original poster
Aug 14, 2006
My main apple ID does not have an @icloud.com email address attached to it, so I've never been able to enable Notes syncing on my mac or iphone...

Does El Capitan finally remove this requirement from Notes?

redheeler

macrumors G3
Oct 17, 2014
Colorado, USA
My main apple ID does not have an @icloud.com email address attached to it, so I've never been able to enable Notes syncing on my mac or iphone...

Does El Capitan finally remove this requirement from Notes?
I was not prompted to create an @icloud.com address when enabling iCloud sync for Notes in 10.11, so it appears the requirement has been removed.

mustgroove

macrumors regular
Original poster
Aug 14, 2006
Really? Every time I try turning on the Notes tab in my iCloud settings I get an error saying it requires an @icloud.com email address...

mustgroove

macrumors regular
Original poster
Aug 14, 2006
This is in 10.10.3 when I try to turn on the Notes switch in System Preferences/iCloud

EIMHtJR.png

redheeler

macrumors G3
Oct 17, 2014
Colorado, USA
This is in 10.10.3 when I try to turn on the Notes switch in System Preferences/iCloud

EIMHtJR.png
I get this prompt running Yosemite, but not in 10.11. As I mentioned, it appears the requirement has been removed in 10.11, and the iCloud tab does appear in the new Notes app for me despite not having an @icloud.com address.

Last edited:

mustgroove

macrumors regular
Original poster
Aug 14, 2006
Sweet! Can you possibly clarify what you mean by "the iCloud tab does appear in the new Notes app with it enabled"?

Naio

Cancelled
Apr 2, 2015
It makes sense for Notes to no longer require it since it's using CloudKit now.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.