Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Alameda

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jun 22, 2012
I bought a new iPad, and found that about 150 notes from my iCloud are stored in the folder “On my iPad.” In Settings, I can delete the “On My iPad” account. I don’t quite understand the purpose, unless it’s for notes that you don’t want to sync across your devices through iCloud, perhaps?

Can anyone explain why some iCloud notes move themselves to this folder?

joeblack007

macrumors member
Nov 23, 2023
Can anyone explain why some iCloud notes move themselves to this folder?
They don’t just move to that location on their own. I worked for Apple and I can tell you that I’ve never seen notes magically move from iCloud to ‘on my device’. They were always created on the device account (often-times unknowingly). They can easily be moved into iCloud before disabling the feature.

Last edited:

Alameda

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jun 22, 2012
They don’t just move to that location on their own. I worked for Apple and I can tell you that I’ve never seen notes magically move from iCloud to ‘on my device’. They were always created on the device account (often-times unknowingly). They can easily be moved into iCloud before disabling the feature.
You are not correct. It’s a brand new iPad and about 200 notes are in the “On my iPad” folder, and some of them are several years old. They downloaded from iCloud and showed up there.

I verified that the notes are also still in iCloud, and then I disabled the “On my iPad” account and deleted those notes in the process.

And, by the way… “I work for Apple” means you’re telling your customer (me) that he is wrong. It certainly doesn’t sprinkle magic dust on you which makes you automatically right about everything. You know how it is supposed to work, but that doesn’t mean a bug can’t happen. I appreciate that you’re trying to explain and I hope you take my comment in the same light.

joeblack007

macrumors member
Nov 23, 2023
Well if they were in iCloud before than you probably setup that new device using an iCloud backup (or did you?). And iCloud backups include ‘notes on my ipad’ even if you also have notes syncing to iCloud. So, chances are that you previous used the ‘on my ipad’ account and also created notes ‘in iCloud’ as well. I don’t know if you had a previous iPad but that would also happen if you used an iPhone or still do. On another note…you asked for an explantation and you got one.

joeblack007

macrumors member
Nov 23, 2023
And, by the way… “I work for Apple” means you’re telling your customer (me) that he is wrong. It certainly doesn’t sprinkle magic dust on you which makes you automatically right about everything. You know how it is supposed to work, but that doesn’t mean a bug can’t happen. I appreciate that you’re trying to explain and I hope you take my comment in the same light.
I never said anything about you being wrong, I gave you a solid explanation. If you think it was a ‘bug’ then why ask for anyone’s opinion? And for the record, I said ’I worked for Apple’ which means I no longer do. I‘m not here to be snarky with you, I only offered an explanation.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.