Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

teh_hunterer

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jul 1, 2021
Lusting after tech has been a reliable constant of my life. But very recently, through luck, hard work, and time, I've found myself with every device I could want.

I have the exact Apple Watch, MacBook, iPhone, iPad, and AirPods that I want. I have the bedside magsafe charging station I want. I even have the overpriced but excellent for travel MagSafe Duo. I have the Magic Keyboard for my iPad Pro. I walk past the Apple Store, peer in expecting to see the new thing I want but can't really have, and realise for the first time in my life that there's actually nothing in there for me. I'm happy with my slightly ageing midrange gaming PC. Maybe I'll upgrade it if it gets too out of date. The only console I really want is the Switch, and I have that.

It's just an odd realisation to come to that I've got nothing left to direct this yearning for new tech at. It's been around as long as I can remember, growing up with a single mum and not being able to afford a lot. I suppose I have to learn now to be happy with what I have, and not rely so much on the idea of retail therapy.

It's a good problem to have, but it just struck me today when I was going on the usual YouTube haunt of looking for ideas on what I might lust after, and realised there was nothing left. There is nothing I can buy that is going to be a meaningful upgrade to what I have. It's weird to reach the end of that long road.

Abazigal

Contributor
Jul 18, 2011
Singapore
It's weird to reach the end of that long road.
Enjoy the journey, not the destination.

I find myself in a similar situation as well. I remember when I first got my iPad in 2012 and was experimenting with how to get more out of it and use it more effectively in the classroom. I would follow Macstories religiously and experiment with a ton of apps and workflows. Then somewhere along the way, I would come across a setup with worked for me, and there wasn't really anything else I need to change, or which I felt would bring about any noticeable improvements to my workflow. It's telling that I haven't really use any new apps in the last few years.

Likewise, I too have the full setup. iPhone, Apple Watch, AirPods, iPad Pro, Apple Pencil. They are not the latest, but they work well, and while the time will eventually come to replace some of them, I am also not really lusting for any new tech at the moment. Went into the Apple Store earlier today, and didn't really feel the urge to get anything. That Belkin 3-in-1 travel MagSafe charger looked like it might be handy for an overseas trip I will be going in a week's time, but it's not cheap, and I have decided to just make do with a multi-port charger and more cables.

I do also have a switch, but I find I don't really get much use out of that.

I also spent a week in December clearing up my desk, tossing a bunch of stuff, and just re-arranging and organising everything. It was a fun process as well, from searching YouTube for fun desk ideas, then thinking of how I wanted to arrange the stuff in my room, to getting the stuff I needed, to finally putting everything together.

I suppose if you go looking hard enough, there's probably something else around the house you could get round to "optimising" if you really wanted to, and when you do get down to it, remember to enjoy the process as much as the end point. :)

temende

macrumors 6502
Oct 28, 2021
The only hardware I lust over now is a Pro Display XDR.

That said, I agree hardware-wise once you have a "finished" setup it becomes a bit boring, but on macOS there is a huge huge library of third-party apps and automations to further extend your setup. So my current focus is making the most of my software setup.

Canyda

macrumors 65816
Sep 7, 2020
I really want 2 HomePods. Just can't justify what would be a $1000 purchase in Canada.

pugxiwawa

macrumors 6502
Nov 10, 2009
Come here was going to post the same thing. I haven't purchased any Apple product in the last 18 months and feel just very strange. I used to buy new iPhone, iPad and Watches every year but no more. Looking at the line up there's nothing to be exciting about. I remembered used to check Macrumors every hour to get latest news and rumors, but those days are long gone. Not really sure what's left to be excited about feel like Apple is slowly losing its luster. Just milking the same products over and over again. Nowadays I'm way more excited about Tesla and all the advancements happening in EV space in general. Feel like Apple is really missing the boat there.

MBAir2010

macrumors 603
May 30, 2018
there
i thought our apex of Tech was 2012 for some reason
maybe that was when airplay did something that year.

a 20 hour battery is great but not new

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.