Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

smckenzie

macrumors member
Original poster
May 7, 2022
I have an OWC Accelsior 1M2 in my 7,1 which is the same speed as the Apple internal.

Wondering if those with the 4M2 or the Sonnet’s M.2 4x4 have noticed any performance boost? Anyone managed to get these to boot and get better speeds ?

bax2023

macrumors member
Nov 14, 2023
Serbia
Which NVMe drive did you install on OWC Accelsior 1M2 so we can have fair comparison ?
My Sonnet card arrives in 1st week of march and one of the NVMe drives will be backup/test boot drive.

profdraper

macrumors 6502
Jan 14, 2017
Brisbane, Australia
I have an OWC Accelsior 1M2 in my 7,1 which is the same speed as the Apple internal.

Wondering if those with the 4M2 or the Sonnet’s M.2 4x4 have noticed any performance boost? Anyone managed to get these to boot and get better speeds ?
Sure, in my experience this depends on the M2 spec and the way in which it is formatted for our particular use. Iv'e been using one of these for five years or so with quite quick Samsung M2s & is formatted as RAID 0 for the greatest speed given my particular use for fast caching and media performance in DaVinci Resolve Studio.

jwestpro

macrumors member
Aug 12, 2010

OWC told me that to boot from the 8M2 you can only have booting from one of the nvme blades not having it combined with any others. I would figure this applies to their 4M2 as well but you could ask them.

mattspace

macrumors 68040
Jun 5, 2013
Australia
OWC told me that to boot from the 8M2 you can only have booting from one of the nvme blades not having it combined with any others. I would figure this applies to their 4M2 as well but you could ask them.

To clarify, you can have multiple bootable OS' on blades, but you can't boot from a RAIDed volume made of multiple blades, is that what they said?

Reactions: bax2023

bax2023

macrumors member
Nov 14, 2023
Serbia
I would figure this applies to their 4M2 as well but you could ask them.
That applies for all multiport NVMe cards with ASMEDIA bridge (to bypass need for PCIe Bifurcation). So, any of NVMes can be bootable, as long as they are not part of any kind of RAID.

1707674175499.png

Reactions: jwestpro

profdraper

macrumors 6502
Jan 14, 2017
Brisbane, Australia
To clarify, you can have multiple bootable OS' on blades, but you can't boot from a RAIDed volume made of multiple blades, is that what they said?
Exactly right. So you 'could' have one of the 4 NVMEs as a boot disk & the other three as a RAID for example; or you could just use them a a JOBD. NB though, if running Sonoma this is presenting disk mounting problems for many & this includes the 4xM2 Sonnett. Monterey continues to work well.

Reactions: jwestpro

jwestpro

macrumors member
Aug 12, 2010
yes, my point was only that boot could only be from one vs more than one in a raid. Seems you could have different OS versions or bootcamp as reasons for more than one option. I only have one PC requiring software to run a large printer so I just use the old professional grade IBM I've had since 2003 and its windows NT - LOL

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.