Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

iwan073

macrumors 6502
Original poster
May 1, 2011
The Netherlands
Ok, how come I don't get any notifications from Twitter?

Do you have to have a Twitter client running in order to get notifications, like it is the case with mail?

I noticed Tweetbot does send notifications when tweets come in. But why doesn't this happen with the official Twitter app???

Anyone?

Last edited:

iwan073

macrumors 6502
Original poster
May 1, 2011
The Netherlands
Problem solved.

You only get notifications if someone you follow, mentions you.

Thanks for letting us know Apple! :rolleyes:

tarryweather

macrumors member
Jul 26, 2012
problem solved.

You only get notifications if someone you follow, mentions you.

Thanks for letting us know apple! :rolleyes:

Screen Shot 2012-08-01 at 4.13.29 PM.png

iwan073

macrumors 6502
Original poster
May 1, 2011
The Netherlands
Yes, I know. But people who you do NOT follow, can mention you too.

And in THAT case, you don't get a notification.

ONLY if someone mentions you who you are following.

TheRainKing

macrumors 6502a
Jun 11, 2012
Apple definitely should have made this clearer. I spent ages trying to figure out why my Notification Center wasn't working properly, and it could have been avoided if Apple had just explained this somewhere. :mad:

sabesm

macrumors newbie
Dec 16, 2011
Allow the Twitter Native app When clicking in the notification

Apple should allow a way to open the native or default app, when we click on a notification in the notification center.
Ex: when i click on the mention notification it redirects me to the twitter web page! instead of that they should redirect to application!

any body knw any tweaks?

Thanks in advance

pdjudd

macrumors 601
Jun 19, 2007
Plymouth, MN
Apple should allow a way to open the native or default app, when we click on a notification in the notification center.
Ex: when i click on the mention notification it redirects me to the twitter web page! instead of that they should redirect to application!

any body knw any tweaks?

Thanks in advance

That would be up to a twitter app (since there isn't one and Apple can't know what an app does by default - it's not like associating a file with a program. The integrated services are for the websites. My theory is because it is the most democratic approach. If an app developer wants to integrate notifications into NC, they can, but Apple, not wanting to play favorites just points to the website since that is the one thing Apple knows will be there and will be available no matter what. It's a safe bet.

ETA: Don't count on the native app integrating with anything any time soon. The native twitter app hasn't been updated on the Mac in ages... Anyhow the onus is on them - it's their program.

sabesm

macrumors newbie
Dec 16, 2011
That would be up to a twitter app (since there isn't one and Apple can't know what an app does by default - it's not like associating a file with a program. The integrated services are for the websites. My theory is because it is the most democratic approach. If an app developer wants to integrate notifications into NC, they can, but Apple, not wanting to play favorites just points to the website since that is the one thing Apple knows will be there and will be available no matter what. It's a safe bet.

ETA: Don't count on the native app integrating with anything any time soon. The native twitter app hasn't been updated on the Mac in ages... Anyhow the onus is on them - it's their program.

Humm! thanks for the info!

pdjudd

macrumors 601
Jun 19, 2007
Plymouth, MN
Humm! thanks for the info!

I tried to look at this from Apple's position of "what would be the safest way of doing this without having to depend on something bad happening". With the solution that Apple implemented the only 2 bad things can happen are:

1) Twitter going down - a problem no matter what.
2) Twitter going belly up. Possible, but they would be screwed no matter what solution they used as with #1.

Remember - every twitter app is essentially pulling their data from the same source - basically the servers serving up the website which is always going to be there barring either 1 (temporary) or 2 (permanent). It would be the same thing with Facebook except that Facebook has no official app. Just use the website API's and post to a site you know will be there and that people use.

Depending on an external app means that they would have to work with a third party developer (like Twitter) to upgrade their app and work with them every single time they need to tweak it. They also run the risk of Twitter saying "screw the desktop app" leaving Apple high and dry and now having to favor a developer - something that I think they want to avoid.

That's my theory at least.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.