Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Sergeant Pepper

macrumors member
Original poster
Jan 28, 2009
MaBZG.png

Notification Center on my MacBook Pro (10.8.2) frequently stops opening halfway, as seen in the above image, and gets stuck. I can click to remove notifications, but nothing outside of Notification Center responds to mouse/trackpad input (clicking or scrolling). Keyboard input still works, so I've tried using Alfred to bring up Terminal and executing "killall Dock" and "killall NotificationCenter," but killing Dock does nothing and killing NotificationCenter just blanks out the part of the screen that it was previously taking up; it doesn't return control. The only way out is a reboot.

I only ever bring up Notification Center via swipe gestures on my trackpad or Magic Mouse, never by clicking on the menubar icon.

Does this happen to anyone else and is there a solution or workaround?

Ghostwritertje

macrumors newbie
Jun 17, 2012
I have the same problem, it used to happen a lot, but right now it was months ago since this occurred.

Sometimes the notification screen comes up completely, sometimes only partly. Also the top bar is kind of accessible, you only have to hold the mouse button down instead of just pressing it once.

It usually happens when I also run Windows 7 in Parallels 8.
One time the problem solved itself after waiting really long.

abudinsz

macrumors newbie
Mar 28, 2013
I have this happen a number of times as well and what has helped is to do a 4 finger swipe gesture to do full screen application switching. Doesn't always work immediately but after a few swipes both left and right it usually un-sticks the system.

samsonjs

macrumors newbie
Aug 7, 2011
This just happened to me on 10.8 and I unstuck it by turning my trackpad off. Seems like some weird state with touches. Everything was fine and when I turned my trackpad on everything was normal.

Reactions: shape5

shape5

macrumors newbie
Oct 21, 2015
If you go to System Prefs -> Trackpad -> More Gestures, it's the 'Notification Center' left to right swipe that sometimes gets stuck halfway. Swiping again should fix it.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.