Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

j-a-x

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Apr 15, 2005
Houston, Texas
I noticed when I first installed beta 1 my notifications showed up in groups by app and I really liked that feature. Now they are showing one notification after the other like in iOS 11. For example if the same person sends me three messages I see three separate notifications. Is this the intended behavior? Do the groups only show up once I get a whole lot of messages on my screen? Or do I need to get notifications from a few different apps before the OS will group them?

johnyslats

macrumors 68020
Mar 14, 2012
Yorkshire, UK
They appear to be grouped when there is insufficient space remaining on the screen. Also if you happen to observe ungrouped notifications and proceed to unlock your device you should then find them grouped in the notification centre (swipe down when unlocked, or swipe up the next time you come to unlock, assuming you haven't interacted with the notifications)

skillwill

macrumors 6502
Feb 12, 2008
Ah that’s disappointing to hear that it’s inconsistent. Hopefully it’s just buggy b1 stuff rather than working as intended.

johnyslats

macrumors 68020
Mar 14, 2012
Yorkshire, UK
Yes, difficult to say whether it's by design or bugged. Hoping for the latter and a bit more clarity on grouping controls (auto/by app) and whether to expand the group automatically when unlocked or having some sort of manual option for this. Bit all over the place at the moment

SoYoung

macrumors 65816
Jul 3, 2015
Yes I was disappointed as well when I saw that notifications only group after a certain amount of time and its not right away. But its only the first beta, it could be just a bug, or a testing design choice. The 2-3 first beta’s of every major iOS release always do some adjustments so I’m sure they’ll work on it in some way or another.

lolkthxbai

macrumors 65816
May 7, 2011
i think of you set it to automatic in settings then it’ll behave in that way but if you want it to always group them you need to choose grouped. look in settings>notication center

KeanosMagicHat

macrumors 68000
May 18, 2012
i think of you set it to automatic in settings then it’ll behave in that way but if you want it to always group them you need to choose grouped. look in settings>notication center

I’m not a part of this Beta, but can anyone confirm whether the Automatic setting does indeed default to grouping irrespective of the screen space available please?

GreyOS

macrumors 68040
Apr 12, 2012
Automatic also allows apps to group some and not group others, eg Calendar will display event/time to leave alerts separately so they are more visible, but will group less important notifications such as ones about updated events. App developers will have control over how Automatic behaves. Set to group by app if you always want it to group.

Banglazed

macrumors 601
Apr 17, 2017
Cupertino, CA
This is the intended behavior for Notification Grouping. Under Notification setting, each app default Notification Grouping is set to "Automatic" which will switch to grouping and off depending on the amount of notification clutter on the Lock Screen. If you want Notification Grouping to be on, set each app to "By App" and not "Automatic".

johnyslats

macrumors 68020
Mar 14, 2012
Yorkshire, UK
This is the intended behavior for Notification Grouping. Under Notification setting, each app default Notification Grouping is set to "Automatic" which will switch to grouping and off depending on the amount of notification clutter on the Lock Screen. If you want Notification Grouping to be on, set each app to "By App" and not "Automatic".
This doesn't appear to be the case (for me at least). Did a little testing and choosing the 'By App' setting works well for Mail, but Gmail and Twitter notifications still come through as ungrouped if there is space available on the lock screen. May be because they're third party. Will wait and see if and how it changes over the coming betas

SoYoung

macrumors 65816
Jul 3, 2015
This doesn't appear to be the case (for me at least). Did a little testing and choosing the 'By App' setting works well for Mail, but Gmail and Twitter notifications still come through as ungrouped if there is space available on the lock screen. May be because they're third party. Will wait and see if and how it changes over the coming betas
I set the mail app to be grouped as well and it didn't change anything for me. This morning I have 3-4 mails on the screen, and I had to scroll it down to see them all. So I call it a buggy feature for now.

uandme72

macrumors 68020
Mar 2, 2015
The logic for grouping the notifications is as under-
1. When the setting is for grouping by app, then all the notifications from that app get grouped regardless of the space available on screen and the sender of that message or creator of that event. The mail notifications also get grouped together in one single group irrespective of the different folders or sender of those mails.

2. When the setting is for automatic grouping, then notifications from one particular sender get grouped together. However the notifications from another sender do not get grouped with the notifications for another sender. Further, in case of mails, the notifications for mails received in different folders do not group together even if they are from same sender.

DDustiNN

macrumors 68020
Jan 27, 2011
I don’t understand why they ever removed this in the first place. I liked the old way, where all of my notifications were grouped by app, and I could even choose the order of the apps. For example, I always had my reminders, texts, and calls show up at the top, and the rest of the insignificant apps underneath. It was so much better to have my notifications prioritized.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.