Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

goshya

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jan 30, 2008
Europe
Hello,

On my brand new insanely expensive iPhone 7 the first click on a notification often doesn't cause a reaction.

Any chance you guys can check whether you have the same problem?

Steps to reproduce:
1. Set an alarm for 1 minute.
2. Once the alarm notification shows up pull it down and press quickly on 'stop'.

On my iPhone 7 as well as several iPhone 6 and 6s one has to click twice to make the alarm stop or alternatively wait for two seconds and click then.

It seems the stop button does not react to a click right away which is especially annoying when trying to stop a loud alarm.

The same goes for other notifications. One often has to click twice to get a result.

Anyone having this problem as well?

Cheers,
Goshya

Edit: iOS 10

Last edited:

KALLT

macrumors 603
Sep 23, 2008
I have the same on an iPhone 6. It is super annoying. Notifications in general are very slow and unresponsive. These delays are similar to third-party keyboards.

Reactions: Statusnone88

goshya

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jan 30, 2008
Europe
Hi,

I've just put a video on YouTube demonstrating the problem.

I'm in China at the moment.

I've had this notification lag on every single iOS 10 device I have tried so far.

Super annoying on my iPhone 7.

GreyOS

macrumors 68040
Apr 12, 2012
Yes I've noticed this since .0 betas on my iPhone 6. I thought it improved slightly at one point but it's definitely an issue at present. Even if the delay is only a fraction of a second, when a loud alarm is going off and you're trying to stop it immediately, it feels like forever and it's very frustrating!

idrisinan

macrumors regular
Jun 13, 2016
For example, I can not action on Game Center notifications, can not decline and sometimes when playing games, WhatsApp or messages notifications are like below :0
4e012f94d177aa4cf424622edbd61eb4.png

f8081963feb4aca64804f23a8102bde6.jpg

LoveToMacRumors

macrumors 68030
Feb 15, 2015
Canada
Hi,

I've just put a video on YouTube demonstrating the problem.

I'm in China at the moment.

I've had this notification lag on every single iOS 10 device I have tried so far.

Super annoying on my iPhone 7.

I reproduced and didn't lag. Iphone 6 with latest beta

840quadra

Staff member
Feb 1, 2005
Twin Cities Minnesota
The bug affects non-3D touch devices too
That's fine, however the question still remains (for the OP) . In every case, you can hit the volume up or down button on your phone to immediately silence an audible alarm, then work on the notification itself on screen. Workaround? Perhaps, however the volume button is always there, and works if your phone is faced down when getting a call / notification / alarm.

For 3D touch enabled phones (and I am not sure it is for everyone), I turned down the pressure sensitivity to the lowest setting and for whatever reason, it is working better for me.

mrochester

macrumors 601
Feb 8, 2009
I have the same on my 7 Plus running 10.1.1. Looks like something Apple needs to fix/optimise.

goshya

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jan 30, 2008
Europe
Hello,

I reduced the sensitivity of 3D touch.

No difference.

Anyone else with the latest beta able to test whether this bug is still present? :)

I contacted Apple about it. They told me to reset my brand new iPhone 7.
Clots!

That's fine, however the question still remains (for the OP) . In every case, you can hit the volume up or down button on your phone to immediately silence an audible alarm, then work on the notification itself on screen. Workaround? Perhaps, however the volume button is always there, and works if your phone is faced down when getting a call / notification / alarm.

For 3D touch enabled phones (and I am not sure it is for everyone), I turned down the pressure sensitivity to the lowest setting and for whatever reason, it is working better for me.

ashindnile

macrumors 6502
Jul 16, 2015
This isn't a bug really. It's Apple's decision to delay input until the animation is complete. And a part of this animation is the blurs, which take significantly longer than other transitions. Although on a macro scale, there's no visual indicator of this delay.
So there's that split second delay during which you can't interact with the device.

Reactions: Altis

GreyOS

macrumors 68040
Apr 12, 2012
Incredible they delay input during some animations, especially considering all devices have dual if not quad processors.

goshya

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jan 30, 2008
Europe
I tried to ask the Apple support on Twitter about it, but after initially denying that the problem existed, they have stopped replying to my messages.

Maybe I shouldn't have sent them the video. They don't like to be proven wrong.

I continue sending them a message every few days asking if they could give me further assistance, but so far they can't be bothered to reply.

Altis

macrumors 68040
Sep 10, 2013
This isn't a bug really. It's Apple's decision to delay input until the animation is complete. And a part of this animation is the blurs, which take significantly longer than other transitions. Although on a macro scale, there's no visual indicator of this delay.
So there's that split second delay during which you can't interact with the device.

This is the crux of the problem.

I often have to repeat taps/swipes/home button presses because iOS just ignores them if it isn't perfectly settled following an animation. It's been like this since iOS 7.0 (although it was much worse in 7.0). 6 months later, 7.1 made it noticeably better but that's basically where it's been since.

It's too bad because missed inputs really disrupt the flow, and there's no reason for it to happen.

GreyOS

macrumors 68040
Apr 12, 2012
It's really not about waiting for animations to finish. The drag down is really quite quick and smooth and things are settled a long time before it finally accepts input. Waiting for animation might be part of it but this delay goes well beyond that. This is plain in the video posted above too.

Apple actually did a lot of work to improve animation responsiveness in iOS 10, e.g. Closing apps mid opening.

This is the crux of the problem.

I often have to repeat taps/swipes/home button presses because iOS just ignores them if it isn't perfectly settled following an animation. It's been like this since iOS 7.0 (although it was much worse in 7.0). 6 months later, 7.1 made it noticeably better but that's basically where it's been since.

It's too bad because missed inputs really disrupt the flow, and there's no reason for it to happen.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.