Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

noSpeed

macrumors regular
Original poster
Apr 13, 2010
I’ve noticed that in ios16, there are 2 different ways to get notifications-

Locked- swip up from the lock screen

Unlocked - swipe down from the very top.

Unlocked is annoying because with big phones, you need 2 hands, and if you don’t swipe from the very top, you just get the search function. Additionally, this doesn’t always work. I often wind up having to lock the phone then swipe up again to see the notifications.

What am I missing? Is there any way to have a single gesture to get notifications? Seems Apple overlooked this part of the UI.

Reactions: decypher44

Ansath

macrumors demi-god
Jun 9, 2018
England
I’ve noticed that in ios16, there are 2 different ways to get notifications-

Locked- swip up from the lock screen

Unlocked - swipe down from the very top.

Unlocked is annoying because with big phones, you need 2 hands, and if you don’t swipe from the very top, you just get the search function. Additionally, this doesn’t always work. I often wind up having to lock the phone then swipe up again to see the notifications.

What am I missing? Is there any way to have a single gesture to get notifications? Seems Apple overlooked this part of the UI.
Actually, it is the same. You're conflating with how to get to the notification screen (which is basically the Lock Screen) with actually getting to notifications.

AbSoluTc

Suspended
Sep 21, 2008
Not a fan of the new notifications. It's glitchy at best and never shows me everything I have. I clear out all of them (I think) then a whole new group pops up. There are so many gestures now on the lock screen, it gets confused as to what I want to do. Swipe away? No - open camera instead! Swipe up? No - lets change the lock screen wallpaper!

Also sometimes, my notifications don't have rounded corners - they are squared off. I'm sure that is also a random bug.

NoBoMac

Staff member
Jul 1, 2014
Ditto this^^^.

And add: when playing podcasts, the podcast controller drops down on swipe down and covers the area where the notifications are.

Started with count which kept things clean, tried stack, no real improvement and or more prominent. Switching back to count and just need to get used to swipe down then drag up to see all the notifications/alerts.

noSpeed

macrumors regular
Original poster
Apr 13, 2010
Actually, it is the same. You're conflating with how to get to the notification screen (which is basically the Lock Screen) with actually getting to notifications.
I don’t believe so. For example if I’m on this website, how do I access a notification I got a few hours ago?

Ansath

macrumors demi-god
Jun 9, 2018
England
I don’t believe so. For example if I’m on this website, how do I access a notification I got a few hours ago?
You go to the notification centre and then swipe up, like you do on the Lock Screen.

Prior to iOS 16, you went to the notification centre and swiped down.

Pagemakers

macrumors 68030
Mar 28, 2008
Manchester UK
Sometimes I have no notifications whatsoever on the Lock Screen then I swipe up and they appear. With the iPhone 14’s always on display what’s the point of swiping up all the time to see if you have any notifications. That’s crazy.

NoBoMac

Staff member
Jul 1, 2014
Prior to iOS 16, you went to the notification centre and swiped down.

Yeah. Guess our collective muscle memory needs retraining. Also the new lock screen widgets have shifted everything down, so the audio controller is now covering your notifications. I'm getting used to it, but not as smooth of an experience as it was pre-16, especially since I'm not using or have any interest in using lock screen widgets.

papbot

macrumors 68020
May 19, 2015
need to get used to swipe down then drag up to see all the notifications/alerts.
That’s the problem for people who don’t follow these forums. My wife mutters every other day or so about where did these notifications come from, or why didn’t I see those notifications before. I have to remind her that once you’re on the lock screen or have pulled it down you then have to swipe up from about the middle of the screen to see the ones that are hidden away. She’s not a fan, and neither am I though I do remember now to drag up to find the hidden ones. And I have played around with all 3 view modes, count, stack and list, and none of them are really acceptable. I just make do. I really hope there’s some chance this will be improved in a future release. On a big, tall, screen like on my 14PM there should be enough space to see them without hunting for the ones that are hiding.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.