Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

JSJarvis

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Apr 26, 2014
Charlotte, NC
I started noticing an unusual behavior with 1 person in my contact list (my wife) with iOS 12. It popped up while I was beta testing iOS 12, but it continues now that the public release is out. I haven't seen anyone mention this issue, so I'm not sure if it is related to the new iOS or if it is something else.

What is happening is when my wife sends me an iMessage, calls or leaves a voicemail, the notification that I get does not show her name that is in my Contacts. It shows "tel: +1" and her phone number. I have tried just about everything I can think of.
  • Clearing her contact entry from Contacts and rebuilding it
  • Clearing all contacts and rebuilding from iCloud
  • Blanking the phone and reloading from a backup
The only thing I have done that seems to work is to wipe the phone and set it up as a new phone. When I do this, her name appears correctly. I am trying to avoid having to reload tons of apps and lose all of my settings.

All other users in my Contacts appear correctly when I receive a text or call. It is only my wife's contact I have the issue with, which is kind of a big deal since I get the most texts and calls from her. Has anyone seen this issue before or know what may be going on?

KGWVU

macrumors regular
Jun 15, 2010
I am having the same issue although my issue is occurring with 2 - 3 contacts out of around 20 - 25 that I regularly communicate with via imessage. I consistently get alerts for these contacts on my Apple Watch. However, when the watch is removed, turned off, or even un-paired with my iPhone X, the alerts still do not come through on my phone, MBP, or iPad. I, too, have deleted the message thread and the alerts begin to work for a few messages only to stop again until the thread is deleted again. Very frustrating.
[doublepost=1537401585][/doublepost]Forgot to mention that Hide Alerts is not turned on and DND is not turned on. I have toggled both on/off to see if that fixes it, no luck.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.