Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

7thson

macrumors 65816
Original poster
May 13, 2012
Six Rivers, CA
So I just went to unlock my 4s when this notification popped up with the text in the title above. Underneath the message were two options: later and change now. Is this new to 7.1.1? I've gone long stretches using the same password and just recently changed it, like 3 weeks ago. Weird or what? I wish I had taken a screen shot, but it was a window like the login for iTunes. My iPhone has been exhibiting unusual behavior lately, in that it's been rebooting and audio apps crash sporadically, where previously they hadn't. Perhaps it's related, I don't know. Also, I use a 4 digit passcode and have it set to erase after 10 failed attempts.:confused:

Armen

macrumors 604
Apr 30, 2013
Los Angeles
So I just went to unlock my 4s when this notification popped up with the text in the title above. Underneath the message were two options: later and change now. Is this new to 7.1.1? I've gone long stretches using the same password and just recently changed it, like 3 weeks ago. Weird or what? I wish I had taken a screen shot, but it was a window like the login for iTunes. My iPhone has been exhibiting unusual behavior lately, in that it's been rebooting and audio apps crash sporadically, where previously they hadn't. Perhaps it's related, I don't know. Also, I use a 4 digit passcode and have it set to erase after 10 failed attempts.:confused:

What the heck? No. You never get prompted to change any passwords.

Cancelled
Apr 19, 2014
What have you installed recently?

Find the last 10 applications or the last one you installed before this started and try some Google searches to see if anyone else has this happen with them.

Eitel

macrumors regular
Sep 20, 2012
Do you have a corporate email on your phone? They can push a policy to make you change your password every X days.

7thson

macrumors 65816
Original poster
May 13, 2012
Six Rivers, CA
What have you installed recently?

Find the last 10 applications or the last one you installed before this started and try some Google searches to see if anyone else has this happen with them.

It occurred to me that an app I installed last night, Battery Doctor, might be the source but I don't see any complaints about this in the reviews. There was lots of complaints about it deleting files without warning. It's a stupid app and have since deleted it. The problem hasn't reoccurred. Coincidence maybe.

Thanks, the last one was the most helpful. The first thing I did was google this with the title of this thread, but came up with nothing. I couldn't believe I was the only one experiencing this, but it seemed really odd. I knew it wasn't malware, but it looked like it could be. Anyway, I will send Apple feedback about the experience.

7thson

macrumors 65816
Original poster
May 13, 2012
Six Rivers, CA
Do you have a corporate email on your phone? They can push a policy to make you change your password every X days.

No. This seems to be the most likely cause of this but oddly I don't fall into this category. I have a hunch this may be happening to the iPhone 4 and 4s only. When people in the other threads indicate what model they are using it's one of these two.

Last edited:

kclight

macrumors newbie
Oct 21, 2015
should have taken a screenshot

Here is a screenshot.
image.png

kclight

macrumors newbie
Oct 21, 2015
@kclight: what are the iPhone model and iOS version you're running?

My phone is an iPhone 6plus and in updated to the current iOS 9.1. I've had this phone for about 6 months had my same passcode for the past almost 3 years I've been apart of the iPhone family and updated it to 9.1 maybe a week ago. I got this password change notification about 30 min ago for the first time. I'm not going to change my password and see what it does after the 60 min.

7thson

macrumors 65816
Original poster
May 13, 2012
Six Rivers, CA
My phone is an iPhone 6plus and in updated to the current iOS 9.1. I've had this phone for about 6 months had my same passcode for the past almost 3 years I've been apart of the iPhone family and updated it to 9.1 maybe a week ago. I got this password change notification about 30 min ago for the first time. I'm not going to change my password and see what it does after the 60 min.

Bummer. I was hoping you would say iPhone 4, iOS 7.x.x. I'm curious to see what happens. It's probably going to lock you out until you change the passcode.

joebandstand123

macrumors newbie
Nov 22, 2015

What happened? I am currently locked out of my 6+ running up to date iOS. No corporate accounts, personal phone for over a year. Anyone do anything OTHER than just change their password? What's the source? Frustrated.

AviatorLMS

macrumors newbie
Jan 6, 2016
Seattle
What happened? I am currently locked out of my 6+ running up to date iOS. No corporate accounts, personal phone for over a year. Anyone do anything OTHER than just change their password? What's the source? Frustrated.

I have a 6+ on iOS 9.2 and got the same msg 2 nights ago. I hit Cancel and then turned off my phone and turned it back on. The message has not reappeared (so far). It had been a long time (1 month +) since I last rebooted my phone. Not sure if that caused it, but rebooting seems to have resolved it.

rocknblogger

macrumors 68020
Apr 2, 2011
New Jersey
Probably not related but I noticed in the screenshots that both iPhones are on Verizon. Just a single point of reference so far.

AviatorLMS

macrumors newbie
Jan 6, 2016
Seattle
Probably not related but I noticed in the screenshots that both iPhones are on Verizon. Just a single point of reference so far.

My carrier is ATT, so it seems to be independent of carrier. Unfortunately I didn't take a screenshot, but what I received was identical to the ones posted.

securespace

macrumors newbie
Jun 3, 2016

It is a malware - close Safari completely by double click on the home button and swipe the safari up (very important), then go to Settings, Safari and clear all history, cookies and all website data. Hard reset your phone by holding the power and the home button at the same time for 5 sec. After that the message will be gone!

That did worked for me - I have no VPN, profiles or exchange accounts - apple geniuses will try to convince you differently - well... good luck with the apple support :)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.