Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

C DM

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Original poster
Oct 17, 2011
Looked around a bit and it doesn't seem like this has really been discussed: is there a way to dismiss a notification that comes up when using CarPlay.

For example, let's say you are using navigation and a message notification comes up right at a time when you are trying to quickly look at the map to see what's coming up and that notification covers a portion of the map and stays up for a good 5-10 seconds or more (doesn't seem like all that long, but when you are driving and just quickly glancing at the map to make sure you aren't missing an exit that's coming up or something else of that nature seconds play a noticeable role) -- is there a quick way to dismiss the notification somehow?

Tried swiping in different directions on the CarPlay screen and that doesn't seem to do anything. Tapping the notification actually activates it and takes you away from navigation and map, which is even worse in that sense.

Seems like there should be a way similar to how it can be done on an iPhone/iPad/Apple Watch. Turning off notifications on CarPlay would certainly present a workaround of sorts, but that doesn't really address the actual issue of still being able to have notifications but also being able to dismiss them quickly when needed.

Itinj24

Contributor
Nov 8, 2017
New York
Looked around a bit and it doesn't seem like this has really been discussed: is there a way to dismiss a notification that comes up when using CarPlay.

For example, let's say you are using navigation and a message notification comes up right at a time when you are trying to quickly look at the map to see what's coming up and that notification covers a portion of the map and stays up for a good 5-10 seconds or more (doesn't seem like all that long, but when you are driving and just quickly glancing at the map to make sure you aren't missing an exit that's coming up or something else of that nature seconds play a noticeable role) -- is there a quick way to dismiss the notification somehow?

Tried swiping in different directions on the CarPlay screen and that doesn't seem to do anything. Tapping the notification actually activates it and takes you away from navigation and map, which is even worse in that sense.

Seems like there should be a way similar to how it can be done on an iPhone/iPad/Apple Watch. Turning off notifications on CarPlay would certainly present a workaround of sorts, but that doesn't really address the actual issue of still being able to have notifications but also being able to dismiss them quickly when needed.
How are these notifications showing up for you? On mine, they come up from the bottom of the screen and take up no more than the bottom 8th or even 10th of the screen. That’s all parts of the map of where I came from and not where I’m going and shouldn’t hinder an upcoming maneuver.

gwhizkids

macrumors G4
Jun 21, 2013
How are these notifications showing up for you? On mine, they come up from the bottom of the screen and take up no more than the bottom 8th or even 10th of the screen. That’s all parts of the map of where I came from and not where I’m going and shouldn’t hinder an upcoming maneuver.

I’ve had it happen. And it’s maddening.

C DM

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Original poster
Oct 17, 2011
The notification comes up at the bottom, but perhaps depending on what else is on the navigation screen at the time and the size of the screen that's involved, a notification can essentially block out enough to make it harder to see certain things especially when it's done with just a glance while driving.

I guess the main question is whether or not it's possible to dismiss a notification that comes up on CarPlay similar to how it can be done on other devices.

Last edited:

Itinj24

Contributor
Nov 8, 2017
New York
The notification comes up at the bottom, but I guess depending on what else is on the navigation screen at the time and the size of the screen that's involved it can essentially block out enough to make it harder to see certain things especially when it's done with a glance.

I guess the main question is whether or not it's possible to dismiss a notification that comes up on CarPlay similar to how it can be done on other devices.
Gotchya. I’ll play around a bit and see what I can come up with but I don’t get notifications that often as I’ve silenced all non essential stuff. Usually just Find My in case I left my AirPods or work bag at home.

Reactions: C DM

AZhappyjack

macrumors G3
Jul 3, 2011
Happy Jack, AZ
You can always set a driving focus to block notifications while driving. Not an answer to "how to quickly clear notifications", but one that would solve the issue of the nav screen being hidden by a notification.

Itinj24

Contributor
Nov 8, 2017
New York
Ok so I just went on a relatively long drive and was able to test. First notification I got was from “Find My.” That one dismissed on its own in what seemed like two seconds so couldn’t really test that. Next few I got were from “iMessage” and “Reminders.” It seemed that tapping anywhere on the CarPlay screen (other than the notification) quickly dismissed the notification and canceled the “Announce Message” too.

What have you tried so far?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.