Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Sueperb

macrumors newbie
Apr 22, 2021
Is/Was anyone receiving the WhatsApp notifcation sound but no new message ? This happened to me.

mozam76

macrumors newbie
Sep 29, 2021
I had exactly the same problem, and I was trying to solve it for 2 days, in addition to setting trials I restored my device several times, but none of them solved the problem. I find a neat solution from Apple forums. I tried it and solved my problem.

https://discussions.apple.com/thread/250814508
  1. Download WhatsApp Business.
  2. Port your account over to WA Business (click continue after opening the app) without deleting the normal WhatsApp.
  3. Try to get someone to test send a few messages to your number. WA Business should push out the notifications.
  4. Delete your normal WhatsApp and restart your iPhone.
  5. Re-download and reinstall the normal WhatsApp from the App Store. Open the app and allow porting of info to take place.
  6. And there! Notifications should come in as per normal again on your normal WhatsApp!!!
  7. Delete the WA Business app if you have no use for it.

You are a star. For the first time ever I've actually found a solution to a bug fix that works for me.

DAMNiatx

macrumors 6502a
Jan 20, 2009
I had exactly the same problem, and I was trying to solve it for 2 days, in addition to setting trials I restored my device several times, but none of them solved the problem. I find a neat solution from Apple forums. I tried it and solved my problem.

https://discussions.apple.com/thread/250814508
  1. Download WhatsApp Business.
  2. Port your account over to WA Business (click continue after opening the app) without deleting the normal WhatsApp.
  3. Try to get someone to test send a few messages to your number. WA Business should push out the notifications.
  4. Delete your normal WhatsApp and restart your iPhone.
  5. Re-download and reinstall the normal WhatsApp from the App Store. Open the app and allow porting of info to take place.
  6. And there! Notifications should come in as per normal again on your normal WhatsApp!!!
  7. Delete the WA Business app if you have no use for it.

Thank you so much for this. The notification is working now.

lolaloo

macrumors newbie
Jan 9, 2022
So I finally got mines to work after much trial and error. I believe anyone who had Background App Refresh disabled and did the ios 14 upgrade may have hit an iOS bug.
I did the following.
1. With background app disabled fully close the WhatsApp app
2. Go to settings and enable Background App Refresh
3. Start WhatsApp and lock your phone. Have someone call you on WhatsApp or message you
4. Once your receive the notification, close the WhatsApp app completely
5. Go back to settings and disable background refresh
6. Start WhatsApp again.

after doing the about I am getting notifications again. What still does not work is the icon badge of waiting messeges.
Hope this helps!
I started having the same issue as OP a few weeks ago, yes in 2021, this is still happening. Was so frustrating, tried almost everything that OP did but nothing worked. Decided to find some helpful thread and chanced upon this one. This helped with my issue! Thanks heaps!!

JesperLKjaer

macrumors newbie
Sep 21, 2022
Denmark
Experienced exactly the same issue with my mother's phone. Tried all of the above, but this one worked for me(/her):

1) Go into Whatsapp notifications
2) Turn off ALL notifications (individual and group)
3) Turn off preview
4) Close down the app completely
5) Turn on ALL notifications (individual and group)
6) Turn on preview

And this worked :)

Conutz

macrumors 6502
Oct 24, 2014
Joburg
I‘ll add my experience, which turned out to be quite simple after none of the above worked. Although note that the WhatsApp for Business app did work while it was active.

My setup: iPhone 11 with iOS 16.0; Apple Watch 4 with OS 9.0. No audible notifications on the phone or watch.

I simply disabled WhatsApp notifications on Apple Watch…and now my iPhone provides audible WhatsApp notifications once more! (Watch App -> Notifications -> WhatsApp toggle. Of course this isn’t a total fix as the watch is excluded, but at least I now know when I receive a message. I’ll play around a little more and see if I can get the watch working and provide feedback.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.