Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

vinathi

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 28, 2012
Does closing an app from your multitask thingy mean you won't get notifications from that app? How about badges? Do those still work?

Last edited:

MonkeyBrainz

macrumors regular
Feb 18, 2012
Does closing an app from your multitask thingy mean you won't get notifications from that app? How about badges? Do those still work?

You'll still get push notifications unless you disable them in your Settings.

bandofbrothers

macrumors 601
Oct 14, 2007
Uk
Theres been extensive debate on wether one should close the apps down or not.

Do they consume battery and data or not.

Im more prone to let my iPhone choose to shut them down when required.

As the others say yes you'll still get notifications etc as long as their settings are turned on to do so.

bandofbrothers

macrumors 601
Oct 14, 2007
Uk
MacBookPro13";14375019 said:
How does it do that?

I may be wrong here, but I'm lead to believe that when your iphone needs ram etc, it will choose to close down an app in the system tray that is laying idle.

MonkeyBrainz

macrumors regular
Feb 18, 2012
I may be wrong here, but I'm lead to believe that when your iphone needs ram etc, it will choose to close down an app in the system tray that is laying idle.

No, it doesn't. It "freezes" them and they aren't hogging up any resources except for apps that are intended to run indefinitely such as GPS apps, etc... those are the types of apps that will consume your battery so letting them run if you don't need them is a bad idea. I've had 30+ apps "open" before with no slowdown because they aren't hogging resources. They "unfreeze" (resume) when you go back to them.

waw74

macrumors 601
May 27, 2008
there are 2 types of backgrounding in iOS.

first is multitasking, there are only certain things that can happen in the background- navigation, music, an VoIP.
and those have to be written so that only the things that are necessary are happening in the background, so your GPS app will still tell you where to go, but it's not updating the map display

second is fast app switching, that saves the state of your app when you close it, and stores it in memory. That way you can swap back and forth between a few programs quickly. As the device needs memory, it automatically dumps the oldest apps first. so yes it does use memory, but it's a "soft" use.

notifications are just fancy text messages, the majority of them don't come from your phone, they are generated somewhere else, and then sent through apples servers. so your phone could even be powered down, and when you turn it on you'll get them.

vinathi

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 28, 2012
Thanks!

No, it doesn't. It "freezes" them and they aren't hogging up any resources except for apps that are intended to run indefinitely such as GPS apps, etc... those are the types of apps that will consume your battery so letting them run if you don't need them is a bad idea. I've had 30+ apps "open" before with no slowdown because they aren't hogging resources. They "unfreeze" (resume) when you go back to them.

That makes sense! I think I get it. Thank you! My closing app days are over

----------

Thanks to all who commented and helped :)

viperGTS

macrumors 68000
Nov 15, 2010

Why do i lose 120 MB's of memory when i send call of duty black ops zombies to the "suspended" state? I most certainly get slowdowns on my 3GS with this app "suspended."

/downvotes

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.