Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Bart H

macrumors member
Original poster
Nov 25, 2012
Central Virginia
The Notifications panel has me confused. Today I saw a banner presented from a newspaper that looked interesting. As usual it disappeared before I could read it properly, but I clicked on the three stripes and brought it back up. I then went looking for the associated news item but could not find it on the front page of the paper.

So, I brought the item up again and double clicked on it. Right clicking did nothing. That brought up a screen-filling page (missing the usual red, yellow & green dots) of the newspaper's front page, which was no help since the item was not on the front page. After trying various alternatives, I finally managed to quit that useless full screen and tried to bring the banner up again. At that point I found the banner had disappeared, probably due to having been 'read' by me.

Where do banners go after being accessed?

Why can't I right click on the banner and have it go to the news link?

Why isn't there a parameter that changes the amount of time a banner is visible?
Terminal commands are not a great alternative for me.

Thanks,
Bart

DeltaMac

macrumors G5
Jul 30, 2003
Delaware
You can go into System Preferences, then Notifications.
If the banner was provided by Safari, then scroll down to Safari, so you can select it. Notice that Banners are on screen for a limited time, and go away automatically. You can change to Alerts, which appear on screen, and stay on the screen until you dismiss that alert.

Bart H

macrumors member
Original poster
Nov 25, 2012
Central Virginia
You can go into System Preferences, then Notifications.
If the banner was provided by Safari, then scroll down to Safari, so you can select it. Notice that Banners are on screen for a limited time, and go away automatically. You can change to Alerts, which appear on screen, and stay on the screen until you dismiss that alert.

Bart H

macrumors member
Original poster
Nov 25, 2012
Central Virginia
Thanks for the reply. I'll try that. Are you saying that banners and alerts are interchangeable in a way?

Am I correct that these alerts and banners do not get saved, and that one cannot click on them to go to the news item, mail, messages, etc.?

DeltaMac

macrumors G5
Jul 30, 2003
Delaware
Yes
Banners or Alerts are a choice that you can make for how notifications are displayed on the screen. Or, you can choose "None", so notifications don't appear on the screen at all.
The difference is that banners show for a limited time. The Alerts stay on screen until you dismiss them. Options available through each might be slightly different, but either Alerts or Banners are simply how Notifications are displayed on the screen.
If you have apps set to notify you, those notifications will appear in the Notification center.
You can click on the item that you want to view. As you have seen, some apps may not be properly programmed to give you a real link from the notification to the item itself. For browsers, with the multitude of sites that might push notifications, you are subject to the whim of the individual site.
Could be that news site has site preferences for how to link to pushed articles. That's just a guess, as we don't know which site you are referring to, and we also don't know if that is a paid site, needing a fee to access the articles (like New York Times, for example)
Some sites may have further preferences on that site that details configuring which information gets pushed.

The alerts should continue to show in the Notifications Center. When you click on a notification from the Notification Center list to link to the site, that notification is removed from the Center. I don't know if there is some way to save old notifications, so they are not removed after you click to view.

Bart H

macrumors member
Original poster
Nov 25, 2012
Central Virginia
Yes
Banners or Alerts are a choice that you can make for how notifications are displayed on the screen. Or, you can choose "None", so notifications don't appear on the screen at all.
The difference is that banners show for a limited time. The Alerts stay on screen until you dismiss them. Options available through each might be slightly different, but either Alerts or Banners are simply how Notifications are displayed on the screen.
If you have apps set to notify you, those notifications will appear in the Notification center.
You can click on the item that you want to view. As you have seen, some apps may not be properly programmed to give you a real link from the notification to the item itself. For browsers, with the multitude of sites that might push notifications, you are subject to the whim of the individual site.
Could be that news site has site preferences for how to link to pushed articles. That's just a guess, as we don't know which site you are referring to, and we also don't know if that is a paid site, needing a fee to access the articles (like New York Times, for example)
Some sites may have further preferences on that site that details configuring which information gets pushed.

The alerts should continue to show in the Notifications Center. When you click on a notification from the Notification Center list to link to the site, that notification is removed from the Center. I don't know if there is some way to save old notifications, so they are not removed after you click to view.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.