Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Firecracker_982

macrumors newbie
Original poster
May 3, 2017
Novice mac experience so please help! In terms I can hopefully understand :)
I need to connect my old Mac mini to my dell monitor. Info below on what I'm working with. I have to order a power cord for the monitor and I think I have chosen the correct one. I'm robbing my Apple TV of the power cord for the Mac mini (hope this is ok since it fits) (I know, I'm a nightmare) anyway I need to understand if I have wifi capability from the mini to the monitor or if I need to have a physical cable to connect them, my guess is yes. But I'm not sure what kind of USB I need to purchase to connect these two. Any assistance is welcome! Thank you!!!

Celerondon

macrumors 6502a
Oct 17, 2013
Southern Cal
You will need a cable to connect that display to your Mac mini.

To get started you need to answer two questions.
  1. Which mini do you have?
  2. Which Dell monitor do you have?
You wrote "info below" in your post but I cannot see any detailed information. If you provide us with model numbers and/or years, we can determine which ports you have available.

Last edited:

Firecracker_982

macrumors newbie
Original poster
May 3, 2017
You will need a cable to connect that display to your Mac mini.

To get started you need to answer two questions.
  1. Which mini do you have?
  2. Which Dell monitor do you have?
You wrote "info below" in your post but I cannot see any detailed information. If you provide us with model numbers and/or years, we can determine which ports you have available.
Sorry about that.
I don't really know what version the mac is but the model is A1347 and the monitor is model no. S2309Wb

Firecracker_982

macrumors newbie
Original poster
May 3, 2017

Celerondon

macrumors 6502a
Oct 17, 2013
Southern Cal
...I don't really know what version the mac is but the model is A1347...

Your Mini has one Mini-Displayport and one HDMI output for video. The monitor has a DVI input. So you need either an HDMI-to-DVI or a Mini-DP-to-DVI cable/adapter, e.g. something like this:
https://www.amazon.com/Cable-Matters-DisplayPort-ThunderboltTM-Compatible/dp/B00DJCB83O

Okay, this is starting to freak me out Rigby. :eek: How did you know that this particular mini had "one Mini-Displayport and one HDMI output for video." My 2012 mini has that configuration but is that true of all A1347 Macs?

I know that you are in San Jose and everything but still...

Oh, I see. It is true of all 1347 Macs! The newer ones have two mDP/TB ports but they all have mDP and HDMI.

Last edited:

Rigby

macrumors 603
Aug 5, 2008
San Jose, CA
I know that you are in San Jose and everything but still...

Oh, I see. It is true of all 1347 Macs! The newer ones have two mDP/TB ports but they all have mDP and HDMI.
Yup. No magic. ;) All of the unibody Minis have HDMI and Mini-DP. But I wasn't entirely accurate anyway, since they don't have one but two Mini-DP ports ...

Reactions: Celerondon
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.