Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

bsf31392

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 18, 2008
I am trying to rip some dvds to my harddrive in anticipation of the apple tv I just ordered. I have been using handbrake's standard output to make Mp4s. They look fine on my laptop, but they don't look good at all on my tv. I am currently viewing them from my MacBook Pro hooked by a DVI to Hdmi cord to my Samsung 720p flat panel.

At 2am this morning I queued 4 movies using the apple tv preset. It is now 8:45 and it still has 1 hour to go to complete the 3rd movie.

Now my question is this, if I continue to use the standard hardbrake settings for a MP4 (not .264) as opposed to the apple tv preset, will they look any better once they are coming through the apple tv? I don't know if I am seeing any degradation in the quality because I am going from DVI to HDMI. Also, is this thing moving so slow because my computer needs more ram. I currently have 2 gigs installed.

Please advise. Thanks in advance.

dynaflash

macrumors 68020
Mar 27, 2003
I am trying to rip some dvds to my harddrive in anticipation of the apple tv I just ordered. I have been using handbrake's standard output to make Mp4s.
What exactly is "HandBrakes standard output" ? If you mean the Normal Preset, then I would not recommend that for the atv.

Now my question is this, if I continue to use the standard hardbrake settings for a MP4 (not .264) as opposed to the apple tv preset, will they look any better once they are coming through the apple tv? I don't know if I am seeing any degradation in the quality because I am going from DVI to HDMI.
Again, no clue what you are referring to by "standard hardbrake settings for a MP4 (not .264)" ... the Normal preset *is* x264, which as I said is a preset I would not be using for the atv anyway.
Also, is this thing moving so slow because my computer needs more ram. I currently have 2 gigs installed.
Nope, ram will have little to no effect on video encoding. HandBrake is all about the cpu.

We would need to know much more about what settings your actually using in HandBrake to advise any more. Were it me, I would consider using the built in AppleTV preset and call it good. :)

stagi

macrumors 65816
Feb 18, 2006
get a mac pro, when i upgraded from a 5g to a macpro i saw a big difference in handbrade encode times :)

bsf31392

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 18, 2008
Thanks for replying!

The standard setting for handbrake is mp4 file- codec is mpeg 4 video/aac audio. I can't afford a new computer s I guess I will just grin and bear it.

What abot a hack like nito tv. Can a true novice do something like that? I can easily rip my dvds with mactheripper and then watch them as video ts.

dynaflash

macrumors 68020
Mar 27, 2003
The standard setting for handbrake is mp4 file- codec is mpeg 4 video/aac audio. I can't afford a new computer s I guess I will just grin and bear it.

What version of HB are you using ? What platform are you running on ? For mac hb version 0.9.2 the "Normal" preset is h.264. You can try the Classic preset which will be much faster but worse quality.

Basically depending on what computer you have, video encoding is a cpu intensive task.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.