Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

tonybarnaby

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Dec 3, 2017
I’m looking to switch my family of 4 to Verizon. Right now, you can get the SE for $5 a month ($120 total), as well as $850 off an 11 pro when you trade in an 8 plus. My wife and I have phones that are unlocked, but I could get a great deal on the 11 pro and the SE for my kids. I only have a chance to switch my lines over once, so I’m wondering if this is a good deal or would it be better to wait for the 12 to come out and more than likely get a BOGO on that?

tonybarnaby

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Dec 3, 2017
There will always be deals when switching, but you have to factor in whether Verizon as a carrier suits you and your family's needs as well.
That’s the main thing I need is their far superior service near me. I know when switching, carriers offer the best deals possible.

Reactions: 0128672

colodane

macrumors 65816
Nov 11, 2012
Colorado
Do yourself a favor and purchase your iPhone directly from Apple rather than financing it through Verizon or any carrier. Consider your carrier and coverage as a separate purchase.

oneMadRssn

macrumors 603
Sep 8, 2011
I’m looking to switch my family of 4 to Verizon. Right now, you can get the SE for $5 a month ($120 total), as well as $850 off an 11 pro when you trade in an 8 plus. My wife and I have phones that are unlocked, but I could get a great deal on the 11 pro and the SE for my kids. I only have a chance to switch my lines over once, so I’m wondering if this is a good deal or would it be better to wait for the 12 to come out and more than likely get a BOGO on that?

There are going to be a ton of good incentives to switch right now with carriers trying to clear stock of 2019 models. But also holiday sales are right around the corner, where there will likely be good discount on the new 2020 models that will be announced next week.

So I think the question is: Do you want a really good deal on an iPhone 11 Pro now? Or do you want just a decent deal on an iPhone 12 Pro in a few months?

ACB 123

macrumors regular
Sep 29, 2015
Why get last years model now. Prices will drop on them in a month when new models come out plus holiday sales coming shortly. But if you're happy with the deal being offered now, go for it and maybe it'll beat any deals coming.

jz0309

Contributor
Sep 25, 2018
SoCal
I thought I had been a deal with Tmobile (?) to get 2 free 11Pros when switching?
who is your current carrier?
Also, as some suggested already, there will be deals coming up in the next 2 months that might be much better, recall that 11Pro had some deals last year before Christmas ...

Edit: I do not think the the SE deal I a good one tbh

Dominican

macrumors 6502a
Nov 23, 2013
Get a $450 e-gift card when you bring your own phone number from any wireless carrier.

tonybarnaby

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Dec 3, 2017
Get a $450 e-gift card when you bring your own phone number from any wireless carrier.
To Verizon?
[automerge]1602038961[/automerge]
Do yourself a favor and purchase your iPhone directly from Apple rather than financing it through Verizon or any carrier. Consider your carrier and coverage as a separate purchase.
I’ve always paid cash for my phones. The main draw to me is that Verizon would give me $850 for an 8 plus that I could maybe sell for $300.

Reactions: compwiz1202

JM

macrumors 601
Nov 23, 2014
11 pro will be discontinued.
You likely won't get that $850 trade in on a 12 pro.

The SE will still be around for "free" or $5 a month come after the 12's are announced

if you would be happy with 11pro and SE... go get that awesome deal! (Just don't leave Verizon and switch carriers within two years or you'll have to pay off the phone because that "deal" they're giving is in monthly credits to your bill.... just a new way the carriers are locking people into "contracts" again)

but, if you can wait to switch till December there might be a deal on phones when switching because yes there are always switch deals.

11 pro is a great phone and if none of the rumors excite you, then get the deal.

SouthernGuy12

macrumors member
Sep 24, 2018
Verizon may have a BOGO when the 12 is released. However, in the past they have also required you to add another line which I have always thought was absurd. It's their way of paying for the freephone they are allegedly giving you.

tonybarnaby

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Dec 3, 2017
Verizon may have a BOGO when the 12 is released. However, in the past they have also required you to add another line which I have always thought was absurd. It's their way of paying for the freephone they are allegedly giving you.
I’m looking to move 4 lines over from T-Mobile, so no issue there

mj_

macrumors 68000
May 18, 2017
Austin, TX
Have you looked into Verizon MVNOs such as Total Wireless? Four lines with 100 GB of shared data for $95 is hard to beat and will free up a lot of cash for new phones.

LonestarOne

macrumors 65816
Sep 13, 2019
McKinney, TX
If you subscribe to Spectrum for Internet or cable TV, you can get wireless through them. It’s really Verizon, but branded as Spectrum, sold through Spectrum, billed through Spectrum, and has different rate plans. It can be a bit cheaper because it’s a part of a package deal.

Before you decide, though, make sure you look the details for all the plans. Look at what you’re getting for the price. Look for any extra charges or additional services you might want to add on. The bottom line may tell a different store than the price sticker on top.

kjmff5

macrumors regular
Mar 27, 2011
I have always wished I could do this. I currently have t mobile and when I trade in my old iPhones I have gotten the latest phone for half off or free(in the form of credits over a 24 month period). Now, 4 years later I still have t mobile but am looking to switch to Verizon. My issue now is I am half way through a phone payment so if I jump ship, t mobile will not offer their end of the promo(half off an iPhone 11). In the end it ends up being a few hundred bucks now but switching to Verizon will end up saving me more in the end...just waiting for the new phone accouncement so I can hesitantly rinse and repeat this whole this with Verizon...

DexBell

Suspended
Oct 23, 2016

Nope. Financing it thru Verizon is a great idea. You can upgrade to a new phone after a year and you’re not limited to only iPhones.

mlody

macrumors 68000
Nov 11, 2012
Windy City

When someone can get $850 off for trade-in, why would you recommend to go through Apple? At the end of the day, the phone will still be the same.

Reactions: Never mind

colodane

macrumors 65816
Nov 11, 2012
Colorado
Do you want to have payments forever? Is upgrading every year important? If so, why??

I keep my phone at least 3 years and am in no hurry to replace it. Also don't like being in debt or committed to carrier contracts. I use prepaid Verizon plan that is month-to-month and works great.

And, in spite of all the hype, all phones provide basically the same functionality.

I am "excited" about replacing my iPhone 8 - that I purchased in January 2018 from Apple - in January 2021. But it still works fine. And by January, I don't mean 1 January. I will wait until the dust settles and I've had a chance to compare all the options. Will purchase an iPhone 11 Pro or one of the new iPhone 12 models directly from Apple for cash. I'm confident that I then will be quite satisfied for another 3 years or more.

paulsonj72

macrumors regular
Mar 28, 2010
I myself have Verizon prepaid and I bought my phone directly from Apple Unlocked and just swapped my SIM card from my Android device to my iPhone and voila my phone was working

Reactions: Never mind
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.