Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

happy orchard

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jun 3, 2020
Today, I pop in my 1st gen AirPods Pro, and one of the earbuds does nothing. I try things, long story short, I'm literally walking near an Apple Store and turn back to take my non-functioning bud in to see if they can fix it.

Nice Genius Bar guy tests it and says my case battery is toast! My case? Not the bud? No. The case. Each bud showed about 80% charge, but this case is done. This all happened so fast.

So I'm here now for a few reasons:

1. If this happens to you, a workaround is to plug in your case while you connect the earbuds to your phone (or whatever) and pop them into your ears. Then you can unplug the case, and both buds will (and did) work.

2. This happened literally on the day the new APP went on sale $50 off. So, that's lucky.

3. I got so caught up in discussing my options, I forgot to ask how to properly charge my next APP case. I've read lots about phone batteries (and we can pay to change out those), but apparently I can only replace the whole case here (at $90), so I want to treat my next case better. Any advice?

fatTribble

macrumors 65816
Sep 21, 2018
Ohio
Everything I’ve read about battery care is just to minimize heat. So slow charging is a bit easier on your battery than fast charging. The only other point is that it is better to charge to 80% than 100% or just don’t leave your device charged at 100% for a great length of time.

Just my opinion, but I doubt how or when you charge the AirPods case is going to make much difference in terms of longevity. I’d just charge in the most convenient way for you.

Reactions: addamas

happy orchard

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jun 3, 2020
Yes, I tried to just live my life and charge as needed. Guess two years just seemed (to me) fast for a battery to just all out die. Thought maybe there was something specific I could do better.

waw74

macrumors 601
May 27, 2008
Yes, I tried to just live my life and charge as needed. Guess two years just seemed (to me) fast for a battery to just all out die. Thought maybe there was something specific I could do better.
enable "optimized battery charging" it takes the case to 80% and stops, and then tops up shortly before you normally take it off the charger. This depends on you having a semi-regular schedule and always taking them off charge at 8am or whenever. But even so, 80% on the case is more than enough to get you through a day

Reactions: happy orchard
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.