Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

cupalup

macrumors newbie
Original poster
May 24, 2010
I currently have my own email address from 1&1 (for the purposes of this thread, let's say it's mail@abc.com).

My iPad offered me a free trial of MobileMe but I don't want 'mail@me.com' and want to keep my old email address.

Is this possible without simply setting up some forwarding thing on my current email? Cos I don't want to pay twice for an email account!

lionheartednyhc

macrumors 65816
Jul 13, 2009
I currently have my own email address from 1&1 (for the purposes of this thread, let's say it's mail@abc.com).

My iPad offered me a free trial of MobileMe but I don't want 'mail@me.com' and want to keep my old email address.

Is this possible without simply setting up some forwarding thing on my current email? Cos I don't want to pay twice for an email account!

You can still use any email address on your email, you just wont get the push service of the me.com email address.

Every other feature of MM will still work for you as well.

amro

macrumors 6502
Jul 7, 2008
Not sure I understood you exactly, but you simply set your mail to forward to your me.com account. Then on your iPad email settings, set your outgoing server to your abc.com account. This way, you get push along with all your emails and replies looking as if they came from your abc.com because they actually are. Also, all contacts and calendar are synced with me.com. If ever you need another iPad, the addresses get pushed back to your new iPad or iPhone even.

Sebby

macrumors 6502a
Dec 20, 2008
London, UK
Setting the outgoing mail server to abc.com is a) not possible as you can't change server settings for a MobileMe account, and b) wouldn't have any effect on who the mail appears from. What you would have to do is set the abc.com up on the iPad as well as MobileMe. Forwarding to a me.com address does give you push, but when you reply to a message, you have to change the from address. In my opinion, it's a lot of hassle.

cupalup

macrumors newbie
Original poster
May 24, 2010
Not sure I understood you exactly, but you simply set your mail to forward to your me.com account. Then on your iPad email settings, set your outgoing server to your abc.com account. This way, you get push along with all your emails and replies looking as if they came from your abc.com because they actually are. Also, all contacts and calendar are synced with me.com. If ever you need another iPad, the addresses get pushed back to your new iPad or iPhone even.

Sorry - I'll try and be more clear.

A couple of years ago I bought 'abc.com' and took it to 1&1 (my website hosting/email provider) and I now have http://www.abc.com and mail@abc.com. Perfect.

If I sign-up to MobileMe (and cancel 1&1), am I right in thinking that I can still have http://www.abc.com but cannot have mail@abc.com? This will instead become JohnSmith1979@me.com or something similar?? I use my email for work so that absolutely needs to stay as mail@abc.com.

I appreciate that I can do the forwarding thing but feel happier having my web hosting and email on one account.

Sebby

macrumors 6502a
Dec 20, 2008
London, UK
You could still have mail@abc.com. Just set 1&1 to forward it to your me.com address, rather than having it setup as a mailbox. But be aware of the limitations I mentioned above (I used to have this setup - now use Google Apps with my own domain, which is much more powerful).

If you don't want to do this, you'd have to just go with the new me.com address, if you don't want to use mail@abc.com as well.

ferritt

macrumors newbie
Aug 8, 2007
Just sign up for MobileMe but don't use the @me.com email address! Just cuss you have mobile me doesn't mean you have to use it. It's like if you sign up to google services you don't have to use the gmail address. No one will make you use it. I have to main email accounts. My mobile me one and my work one which I got when I bought my domain name (like you).

If you never send or give out your MobileMe email address you'll never use it will you. It will just be a part of the MobileMe service that your choosing not to use apple don't care if you use it or not.

docal97

macrumors 6502a
Jun 28, 2006
Southampton
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 3_1_3 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/528.18 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0 Mobile/7E18 Safari/528.16)

I
have mobile me but don't use the email. I would like to, but if I cancel the service in the future inwould have to notify all of my contacts, which would be a pain. So I use gmail, which does have push. But I would like to forward my verizon to mobile me and have the mail pushed.

docal97

macrumors 6502a
Jun 28, 2006
Southampton
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 3_1_3 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/528.18 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0 Mobile/7E18 Safari/528.16)

I
have mobile me but don't use the email. I would like to, but if I cancel the service in the future inwould have to notify all of my contacts, which would be a pain. So I use gmail, which does have push. But I would like to forward my verizon to mobile me and have the mail pushed.

Galley

macrumors 65816
Mar 24, 2008
I use Google to host my e-mail for FREE, and have it all forwarded to my MobileMe account. :)

synagence

macrumors 6502a
Jul 23, 2008
Has Google Sync become more reliable this past year?

I did a trial of Google Apps, precisely for the same reason as the OP, i wanted my domain name to be used for my email (i know i could do some email forwarding but i wanted a full and complete solution) but i found Google Sync to be extremely unreliable in push email and the contacts got a little garbled when transferred out of Me.com into Google.

Any news of progress on this front would be appreciated.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.