Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

HappyKlown

macrumors member
Original poster
Aug 22, 2019
Hey Everyone,

Got an iPhone X with Apple Care+ on launch day. Last November, I was surfing the internet and the screen started flickering and green stripes appeared. Called Apple and they sent a replacement X. Cool. Welp, the screen went out on this one yesterday and I happened to be traveling close to an Apple Store and they gave me another one. Yay that I got another replacement X but now my confidence is plummeting with this phone. Anyone else have a similar experience with the X screen crapping the bed? I almost want to take advantage of the $400 trade on value by Apple to get an 11.

Freakonomics101

macrumors 68030
Nov 6, 2014
I had the ghost touch issue fixed with their recall. After that it worked as it should. Then sold it for the iPhone 11 Pro.

moderniste

macrumors 6502
May 7, 2005
That's pretty unlucky to have happened twice; I never had any problems for the year I used my X. $400 doesn't seem bad, though you could probably get a little more on Swappa.

HappyKlown

macrumors member
Original poster
Aug 22, 2019
That’s good to know. Maybe the law of averages will be on my side this time!

HappyKlown

macrumors member
Original poster
Aug 22, 2019
Wow, had the exact same screen issue with the green lines and screen dying again on the one that Apple just replaced back in October. Even though my Apple Care+ has expired, they replaced the screen for free again so I have to give them props for that but I’m on my 4th screen now in the iPhone X! I must be cursed because I coddle my Apple products.

BugeyeSTI

macrumors 604
Aug 19, 2017
Arizona/Illinois
Wow, had the exact same screen issue with the green lines and screen dying again on the one that Apple just replaced back in October. Even though my Apple Care+ has expired, they replaced the screen for free again so I have to give them props for that but I’m on my 4th screen now in the iPhone X! I must be cursed because I coddle my Apple products.
Mine is still going strong!

sanandreas1234

macrumors member
Jul 30, 2010
I have mine from launch day and it’s working great. I just had the battery replaced today by Apple as well.

HappyKlown

macrumors member
Original poster
Aug 22, 2019
Unbelievable, just unbelievable. I just had another screen fail with the green lines on my iPhone X. At least I was able to shut it down in the nick of time so I don’t have to hear my alarms going off for days again! I didn’t even bother calling Apple again because I don’t trust the phone anymore (and I LOVED that phone) or the replacement screens they are using. I love Apple but my confidence with them is a bit shaken at this point. Now, I’m using my daughter’s old XS with a cracked screen and camera until (hopefully) this fall. Apple, I’m not going to lie-I’m super disappointed and dissatisfied. I just wish there was a way to work something out with Apple where I don’t have to worry about a dying screen within a year…..I’d take a free XR at this point!

kjvmartin

macrumors 6502
Oct 11, 2016
Detroit
Sounds weird. Do you keep the phone in a case? How do you carry it? I have had every iPhone since the 4 and never needed to use the warranty, and I do not coddle them.

Reactions: Saladin12

Saladin12

macrumors 65816
Apr 26, 2021
Yeah I do wonder at this point if it's user error. I'm not trying to revert blame from Apple, at all. But it does seem odd that you've had the same issue 4/5 times now... Especially as they've handed you an entire replacement phone 2/3 times. Maybe there's an accessory you're using that's causing some kind of mishap? Charger? I'm thinking out loud here.

I've thrown my phone about and treated it poorly (iPhone XS) and I have no screen issue apart from scratches on the glass (oh and a smashed glass back).

EDIT: I've just googled and it does seem to be a widespread issue on the X... You'd have thunk that Apple would have managed to figure out a solution for replacement devices. I'd deffo switch out your X for another model

HappyKlown

macrumors member
Original poster
Aug 22, 2019
The only accessory that I’ve been using on occasion is the official OEM iPhone XS battery case with my X.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.