Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

BlueGoldAce

macrumors 68000
Oct 11, 2011
All you are talking about is the present day though; when I got my MBP 15 inch with 4GB, at the time it was enough, but today it isn't.

Again, personal preference. My post aren't addressed to anyone person.

Your laptop is 6.5 years old. That is old in laptop standards, no matter who makes it. 6.5 years from now, Ram likely won't be the only thing limiting you. Has integrated graphics, and portable dgpu get more power, programs and operating systems will utilize them. 6.5 years from now, with a exhausted lithium battery (unless you replace it, not cheap) you laptop will be next to worthless, and will struggle with all but the more basic task.

As I mentioned above, you can spend a large sum
of sum of money and try to make your laptop last forever; there is nothing wrong with that. Alternatively, you can spend a reasonable amount, sale said laptop in 3-4 years, recoup a decent amount of the cost, and buy another reasonably price laptop. You might save money the first way, or you might save money the alternate way. If the two paths are close monetarily, the alternate path will provide the more enjoyable experience with the updated technology. Apple, or any company will take as much money as you can give them, it is up to you to make informed decision.

When I built my desktop, I opted for the gtx 1070 over the gtx1080. The price difference was $300+ at one point, almost as much as another 1070. I am not pushing a 4K monitor, so by the time the 1070 is showing it's age, I can get a $300 or so gpu that will be significantly more power than the 1080; and I didn't spend any more or less money. See the point?

Again, I'll say it, its personal preference. If you are doing something that all really needs 16gb ram, or 8gb is close to limiting, then go for it. But if you are trying to get a laptop to last 6.5+ years and not show its age considerably, while doing processor intense work; good luck.

k2743

macrumors member
Dec 28, 2016
Again, personal preference. My post aren't addressed to anyone person.

Your laptop is 6.5 years old. That is old in laptop standards, no matter who makes it. 6.5 years from now, Ram likely won't be the only thing limiting you. Has integrated graphics, and portable dgpu get more power, programs and operating systems will utilize them. 6.5 years from now, with a exhausted lithium battery (unless you replace it, not cheap) you laptop will be next to worthless, and will struggle with all but the more basic task.

As I mentioned above, you can spend a large sum
of sum of money and try to make your laptop last forever; there is nothing wrong with that. Alternatively, you can spend a reasonable amount, sale said laptop in 3-4 years, recoup a decent amount of the cost, and buy another reasonably price laptop. You might save money the first way, or you might save money the alternate way. If the two paths are close monetarily, the alternate path will provide the more enjoyable experience with the updated technology. Apple, or any company will take as much money as you can give them, it is up to you to make informed decision.

When I built my desktop, I opted for the gtx 1070 over the gtx1080. The price difference was $300+ at one point, almost as much as another 1070. I am not pushing a 4K monitor, so by the time the 1070 is showing it's age, I can get a $300 or so gpu that will be significantly more power than the 1080; and I didn't spend any more or less money. See the point?

Again, I'll say it, its personal preference. If you are doing something that all really needs 16gb ram, or 8gb is close to limiting, then go for it. But if you are trying to get a laptop to last 6.5+ years and not show its age considerably, while doing processor intense work; good luck.

All I am asking is if I would like my laptop to still be running well in 4/5 years time, should I go for 16GB of RAM. My laptop is 6.5 years old, but it has been slowing down for the last couple of years, it hasn't just suddenly slowed down. So I would like to try and delay this slowing down. Then, if I hit another bottleneck, that's fine and I'll get a new one when it is time.

BlueGoldAce

macrumors 68000
Oct 11, 2011
All I am asking is if I would like my laptop to still be running well in 4/5 years time, should I go for 16GB of RAM. My laptop is 6.5 years old, but it has been slowing down for the last couple of years, it hasn't just suddenly slowed down. So I would like to try and delay this slowing down. Then, if I hit another bottleneck, that's fine and I'll get a new one when it is time.

Then get 16gb of ram. It's the most worthwhile upgrade.

BlueGoldAce

macrumors 68000
Oct 11, 2011
Thanks, I'll do that then and skip the processor upgrade - do you think the nTB standard 2.0GHz i5 would be sufficient?

I am not certain, I thought I read somewhere that the general consensus was that the base line non-Touch Bar MacBook Pro was a bit under powered. I personally would opt for i5 that is a step up. But you might be well suited to read the aris technica, and other reviews on the non touchbar MacBook Pro 13. That will give you the best answer to your question.

k2743

macrumors member
Dec 28, 2016
I am not certain, I thought I read somewhere that the general consensus was that the base line non-Touch Bar MacBook Pro was a bit under powered. I personally would opt for i5 that is a step up. But you might be well suited to read the aris technica, and other reviews on the non touchbar MacBook Pro 13. That will give you the best answer to your question.

The only upgrade option is the 2.4Ghz i7, but been told it's not worth the upgrade. But I would upgrade if it would benefit me. Going back and forwards!! Maybe I should just embrace the urge the max it out.. But then I don't want to waste money hah.

NavyAssassin

macrumors newbie
Dec 3, 2016
Bursa, Turkey
I think you should only decide for more battery or more ports. Other things are just small differences.

nTB has about 40% more battery (10 hrs vs 6 hrs average based on the reviews)
TB has 2x more ports (2 vs 4 USB C)

k2743

macrumors member
Dec 28, 2016
I think you should only decide for more battery or more ports. Other things are just small differences.

nTB has about 40% more battery (10 hrs vs 6 hrs average based on the reviews)
TB has 2x more ports (2 vs 4 USB C)

I am definitely going for the nTB (I already returned a TB model I bought the other day) I just wasn't sure whether the processor would be sufficient and whether the processor upgrade would be worth it.

BlueGoldAce

macrumors 68000
Oct 11, 2011
I am definitely going for the nTB (I already returned a TB model I bought the other day) I just wasn't sure whether the processor would be sufficient and whether the processor upgrade would be worth it.

The i5 to the i7 you mentioned, in the 15w processors, isn't worth the extra cost.

halfbad

macrumors member
Apr 20, 2014
If your trying to save money then just get the 16gb upgrade. The 2.4 upgrade is not worth it IMO as you might as well get the TB and get the 2.9 option for $300 along with the other options that come with it.

As for slowing down, no one can say, it's all how the software moves along and what it requires and how you maintain your Mac. But were in the generation of fast SSD's and diminishing returns on CPU so you should be ok.

In theory, yes it will continue to slow as all computers do when software requirements grow, not much you can do about that, but I have a 2012 rmbp which I bought day 0. i7 2.6ghz 16gb ram , upgraded the drive to 480GB aura pro blade, runs like a champ.

These are synthetic GeekBench numbers so take them with a grain of salt but they core performance and the difference is not that far apart. CPU performance hasn't made much headway, but there are other factors as well.

Mine: 5 years old....

MacBook Pro (15-inch Mid 2012)Intel Core i7-3720QM 2600 MHz (4 cores) Mac OS X 64-bit Single:3614 Multi:11559

Today's new rMBP:

MacBook Pro (15-inch Late 2016)Intel Core i7-6700HQ 2600 MHz (4 cores) Mac OS X 64-bit Single: 4096 Multi:12396

Of course there are things like ports/caches/bus/screen/trackpad/battery life etc...these are the things that are the relevant changes atm. Not pure power anymore, so I think you'll be ok.

The reason a lot of people feel like computer slow down in this current generation is because we have made the jump from Core 2 Duo to I7/i5 and HDD to SSD. These are massive performance gains, but since then we are iterating slowly on these fronts. other areas mentioned above are moving ahead. They also don't clean install and have a lot of legacy stuff sometimes slowing down your computer. (CLEAN INSTALL folks!) in addition, I know very few people who actually open up their Mac to blow out the 4 years of dust build up which makes things hotter, and that makes computers slow and throttles performance.

Until we see a shift in actual processor from i7 to whatever is next and SSD to ? 3d memory ? your computer will chug alone fine as long if you take care of it. That jump isn't here yet but maybe a couple years.

Also don't feel the need to future proof too hard because if you continue your design seriously , you'll be working at a job and your skills and needs will grow and you will be in a place to buy a newer rig without the budget constraints you need now.

Edit: one area which it is fairly behind in the older computers is always the GPU. but not a lot of options around that for this situation.

Reactions: BlueGoldAce

halfbad

macrumors member
Apr 20, 2014
Also if it's just overall budget that is the constraint. You are currently looking at around 1400+ 300 dollar upgrade. You may want to seriously consider something like this

http://www.apple.com/shop/browse/home/specialdeals/mac/macbook_pro/15

Same price and I'm sure if you wait there will be other options as well. Refurbs have the same warranty minus the pretty box.

This will get you a 2015 15in, 16gb, and more than twice the power of a new 13.

I believe the ssd is still user replaceable in this models as well. For future expansion.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.