Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Photios

macrumors regular
Original poster
May 17, 2009
I recently purchased a 2019 Mac Pro and have Windows 11 installed on a separate ssd on a PCI card. I would like to access the Bootcamp volume in Mac OS. Does anyone have a recommendation for NTFS software that will allow me to do this? It seems there are several alternatives out there, and I'm wondering of someone here has some experience and advice they can offer.

Thank you!

Reactions: m4v3r1ck

arw

macrumors 65816
Aug 31, 2010
There are free options like
that are based on the freely available 'NTFS-3G' driver:
I am using the commercial variant 'Tuxera NTFS' since a decade and it never failed me. ($15 USD)

Photios

macrumors regular
Original poster
May 17, 2009
There are free options like
that are based on the freely available 'NTFS-3G' driver:
I am using the commercial variant 'Tuxera NTFS' since a decade and it never failed me. ($15 USD)
Is there any particular reason not to use a solution that is free?
Thank you!

arw

macrumors 65816
Aug 31, 2010
Is there any particular reason not to use a solution that is free?
Thank you!
In the early days, the speed of 'NTFS-3G' was significantly lower and I remember issues when trying to format a disk as NTFS and general stability issues. When the paid 'Tuxera' version added the option to even repair NTFS volumes, I switched and never had any problems ever since.
But that was several (+10) years ago and the free derivate might have caught up in the meantime.
It might be equally suitable nowadays - I cannot tell you, sorry.

Reactions: m4v3r1ck

profdraper

macrumors 6502
Jan 14, 2017
Brisbane, Australia
And I am using Paragon NTFS for Mac - and have for years. It is $29.95.

Totally agree, is brilliant & updates are free so far. It integrates fully and transparently with any macos version I've used & currently with Sonoma. One of the nice things is that itt also seems to 'switch on' macos disk untiliy & which then not only fully recognises NTFS volume but can also format them. Has a lot of its own tools in its control panel & which fully integrates into macos system preferences as its own entry.

Re. the free 'Mounty for NTFS' I don't have any experience with that, but you could always install & try. I would say its information page does seem to show some caveats however, eg, like needing a third party kernal driver etc, see https://mounty.app/

Squirrrrel

macrumors regular
Apr 24, 2024
And I am using Paragon NTFS for Mac - and have for years. It is $29.95.

I use this as well. It's been working great for me for years. I like being able to both read and write to NTFS drives. None of the free options have been very good. You get what you pay for in this case.

Reactions: bousozoku

tsialex

Contributor
Jun 13, 2016
I'm also a user of Paragon NTFS for Mac since at least 2017ish and never had issues - I probably can count with just one hand the apps that I never had any issue.

Photios

macrumors regular
Original poster
May 17, 2009
I installed Paragon, and now I'm getting Kernel Panics. Oh boy!!!

What is interesting is that I've had Apple Silicon computers since 2020 and have not had one kernel panic on any of them.

flat4

Contributor
Jul 14, 2009
I'm also a user of Paragon NTFS for Mac since at least 2017ish and never had issues - I probably can count with just one hand the apps that I never had any issues

Include me on 3 macs works like a charm

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.