Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

applescruff

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Hi there everyone

Okay I'm pretty much a complete novice in the world of Apple Mac - and I'm probably trying to run before I can walk... but hopefully someone here can advise me...

I just got Final Cut Pro 4.5 and installed it on my IBook G4 - further down the line I plan on upgrading it so it'll be compatible with my Pentium version of IMac - but I'm not going to worry about that just now.

I need to be able to capture material from various sources both ntsc and pal.

For the ntsc stuff I was hoping to use my Canadian bought JVC GR D275U to convert some old NTSC analogue video to DV format prior to capturing on the Final Cut. However last night I discovered that although this camera has DV In & Out it only has AV Out - so using it as a converter that way won't work.

Today I popped into the Genius Bar at The Apple Store in London and they recommended the Canopus ADVC110 which (reading the box) should work for both NTSC and Pal.

The ADVC110 works fine converting my Pal material (and even NTSC converted to Pal material) but as soon as I switch to NTSC it doesn't recognise the signal. At least that's what I think is happening since the preview screen on Final Cut just shows the picture spinning madly when it's on NTSC.

I've also run an NTSC DV signal direct from the JVC camera into Final Cut with no problems - so I don't think the problem's with Final Cut.

Can anyone tell me why the ADVC110 is doing this and how to get round it.

Many thanks in advance

Tom :)

Sol

macrumors 68000
Jan 14, 2003
Australia
The ADVC converters have switches on the bottom so check that the switch is set to NTSC, turn on the unit, launch FCP and in the capture window select Non-Controllable device and DV NTSC.

applescruff

macrumors newbie
Original poster
ntsc capture problems with ADVC110

Hi Sol

Many thanks for your response.

Thanks for pointing out that those microscopically small thingys underneath. are actually switches.

I tried it out and it works great.

Many many thanks

Best wishes

Tom :)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.