Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Stay_Brite

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Apr 16, 2021
I found myself in an interesting discussion with another friend of mine talking about ATT and the impacts that we are seeing. Several reports have come out showing that a majority of folks are opting out.

From what I understand, the revenue generated by the App Store is not insignificant but also not an emphasis for Apple as part of their revenue planning. Maybe I’m wrong there so feel free to correct me.

At any rate, curious if we will see the total number of games going down on the App Store as a result of those games that rely more heavily on Ads leaving the platform. Or will we see no real change? Or will it change the dynamics such as higher prices, or less ad-driven or free games? Etc.

I understand the Epic litigation may impact some of this as well which could lower commissions and what not. Either way, thought it would be an interesting discussion to have here as well.

Cancelled
Apr 16, 2020
What is ATT if not AT&T, and do you have some sources you can share for this apparent "trend"?

Stay_Brite

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Apr 16, 2021
Thanks for the assist @JJL2026

There are several articles that speak to this but many of them point to Flurry metrics or other opt-in measurements with different calculus. I have linked one example at the bottom but invite you to do your own research as well.

The bottom line for me is not necessarily the current state but question I am posing for discussion is do we expect this to ultimately change the dynamic of the App Store? Do we expect the number of games available to change, do we expect the breakdown of type of games (free, ad-supported, etc) to change, etc?

https://m.republicworld.com/technology-news/mobile/apple-ios-14-dot-5-att-feature-becomes-a-success-as-96-percent-of-us-users-opt-out-of-app-tracking.html

HDFan

Contributor
Jun 30, 2007
From what I understand, the revenue generated by the App Store is not insignificant but also not an emphasis for Apple as part of their revenue planning.

App revenue is a major part of their push to increase services revenue as iPhone sales plateau. That is why they are fighting so hard to keep it under their control.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.