Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

e93to

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jan 23, 2015
Toronto
I keep track of number of files for some folders. And today, for some unknown reason, the number of files changed….

There are supposed to be 52,483 files in this folder, but "get info" shows that there are 50,250 files… I entered Time Machine, and those numbers changed too… I even checked back-ups from February of 2014, and that folder also was missing 2233 files according to "get info"… I randomly checked 10 back-ups, and in each back-up this folder was missing exactly 2233 files.

Thankfully, I don't seem to see any missing files at all. However, this still bugs me… What kind of sorcery is this?!?! My inner OCD is killing me!

Few things to note:

* I always check the number of files before Time Machine back-up and shutting down. Then I type these numbers on a text file.

* A couple of days ago, I changed my start-up disk to core volume using this instruction - http://awesometoast.com/yosemite-core-storage-and-partition-woes/

* A couple of days ago, I was asked password whenever I moved files to Trash. So I went to Home Folder, and clicked "apply to enclosed items."

e93to

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jan 23, 2015
Toronto
I was told that my harddrive is failing... And some files have become corrupted, and that's why they are not being recognized by the system...

Fishrrman

macrumors Penryn
Feb 20, 2009
My thoughts....

Repair the drive in question with Disk Utility.

Create a CLONED BACKUP of the folders in question on another drive.
I DO NOT mean a TM backup, but rather a full cloned backup using CarbonCopyCloner.

CCC will copy each file individually. If it detects one or several corrupt files, it will still copy the remaining "good" files. I believe CCC will also create a report you can view that will identify any corrupted files.

Final thought:
Is it -really necessary- to keep so many files in a single folder?
Could you create a number of sub-folders to break up the contents into more manageable "sections"?

e93to

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jan 23, 2015
Toronto
Thanks for the reply! Will sure use CCC to create a clone to see if there are any corrupt files.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.