Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

azpc

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Feb 24, 2011
By far the most frequent question (request) for new and old* Mac users.

* If they switched from a Linux or Windows system.

Here is how I believe the Mac should work. Mac users would have the best of all worlds - better than Linux or Microsoft Windows.

Request.png

Unfortunately, the Mac has never had a true Maximize button. The green button used to be a zoom button which would attempt to scale to the content. (A neat idea but not a maximize replacement)

Linux and Windows both have a Maximize button and the lack of one on the Mac can be very frustrating for switchers. I switched back in 2008 and I still miss the Maximize function. As a teacher I know hundreds of other switchers who also miss the Maximize function from Linux and Windows.

The graphic gives users the best of all the platforms:

- A zoom or scale the window to the content function.
- A full screen function.
- A true Maximize function which the Mac has never had.

Last edited:

leman

macrumors Core
Oct 14, 2008
Double-click the title bar already does that. The green button triggers the full screen mode. So thats two out of three of your requests which have already been implemented in OS X for years. As to the 'maximal size': what exactly is that? The reason why OS X never had a 'maximal size' button is because the definition of 'maximal size' is arbitrary. Instead, OS X designers chose to implement something which makes much more sense: an 'optimal see given the content'. Which is the Zoom function.

azpc

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Feb 24, 2011
"Double-click the title bar already does that."

I wish it did! Try doing that in Preview, Pages or Finder on a 27 inch iMac. You don't get a maximized screen. You get a different result each time.

A maximized window is not difficult to understand. It is a feature on Linux and on Microsoft Windows and has been for almost twenty years. A maximized window occupies all the available window space except for the Menu Bar and the Dock. (Just like it is in the picture).

Here is a comment from a friend on mine who switched to the Mac back in 2008.

Would you like your Mac to work as it is shown in the picture? - ABSOLUTELY!!!!

Another Response:

"Sure hope they come up with something awesome! All my Mac users agreed with you about your illustration above!"

Last edited:

leman

macrumors Core
Oct 14, 2008
"Double-click the title bar already does that."

I wish it did! Try doing that in Preview or Pages on a 27 inch iMac. You don't get a maximized screen. You get a different result each time.

Don't have 27" iMac are to try out, but on my MBP, double-clicking title bar in Preview resizes the window to contents size, as expected. If it doesn't work for you, its probably an application bug.

A maximized window is not difficult to understand.

I never said that its difficult to understand. I said that is arbitrary decision. Why does one want to maximise the window? Usually, its either to adapt the window size to the current content (which Zoom function does better as it doesn't waste space), or to dedicate the entire screen estate to the app (which Fullscreen mode does better because it allows the app to utilise the space optimally and removes all distractions). The 'maximizise window' as found in Windows in Linux is a lazy implementation which just sets the window to its maximal possible size, without any consideration about the semantics of this action. In the end, its a design choice. The design of Windows in this regard is a lazy and simple one. The OS X design is much more sophisticated and attempt to be context-aware. I can understand though that people coming from Windows are used to this functionality so they would miss it in OS X. However, I don't see any useful purpose behind such a function beyond what OS X already offers.

P.S. The funny thing is that people constantly complain about OS X being 'dumbed down', while at the same time asking for really dumbed down functionality like maximised windows.

Reactions: mikecwest

bladerunner2000

Suspended
Jun 12, 2015
I take it Apple still hasn't taken it's head out it's ass and enforced this boneheaded execution of maximizing windows in Sierra?

azpc

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Feb 24, 2011
"The maximize window as found in Windows and in Linux is a lazy implementation which just sets the window to its maximal possible size."

It is a feature MANY people want. Since it is a desired feature - I thought this graphic provided a simple way forward to make everyone happy.

Why?

- Provides a true Maximize function - Linux and Windows users are used to this behavior.

- Provides a maximize to content function - Traditional Macintosh way which unfortunately is very inconsistent (Pages, Preview, Finder)

- Provides a full screen function - which is the new Macintosh way since around 2012.

Telling people how they should want to use their computer is like telling people that they should like broccoli.
[doublepost=1470782751][/doublepost]
I take it Apple still hasn't taken it's head out it's ass and enforced this boneheaded execution of maximizing windows in Sierra?

Unfortunately Not Yet! One can always hope!

grahamperrin

macrumors 601
Jun 8, 2007
Hope is a good thing, but some of what's done by Apple defies logic.

I understand the passion, but I'm ambivalent about alternate approaches to maximising windows and filling the screen.

I suspect that what was decided by Apple, when the human interface guidelines were mashed up, will be with you for years to come.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.