Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

bwoodruff

macrumors regular
Original poster
Feb 28, 2015
Western NY
Does anyone have any experience troubleshooting NumberSync? After switching to a new phone I'm no longer able to make or receive calls on my Macs or iPads with my iPhone off, which is something I could do using NumberSync previously (before the new phone).

I've tried completely wiping the phone and starting over, resetting network settings, rebooting all involved devices in all sorts of orders, turning off and on Wi-Fi calling and related features, and having my carrier remove the NumberSync feature from my account and re-add it.

The carrier (AT&T) is telling me that in order for NumberSync to work the other devices have to have AT&T cellular plans on them, which obviously is a lie considering this worked fine before and the Macs can't have cellular plans.

gwhizkids

macrumors G4
Jun 21, 2013
A lot of these continuity/handoff type communication features are controlled both by iCloud but also FaceTime. Try signing out of both on the new phone and then re-signing in.

PS: you’re absolutely right about not needing a separate plan for each device. That’s the point.

bwoodruff

macrumors regular
Original poster
Feb 28, 2015
Western NY
A lot of these continuity/handoff type communication features are controlled both by iCloud but also FaceTime. Try signing out of both on the new phone and then re-signing in.

PS: you’re absolutely right about not needing a separate plan for each device. That’s the point.

Thank you for the confirmation. I did go ahead and try signing out of both iCloud and FaceTime on all devices and then signing back in with the same results. If the iPhone is turned on and connected to the same Wi-Fi network as the device I can make a call ("using your iPhone") but NumberSync still doesn't work.

10rldz7.jpg

When NumberSync is working properly that "using your iPhone" portion does not appear.

bwoodruff

macrumors regular
Original poster
Feb 28, 2015
Western NY
Progress! Here's what I found. AT&T still had the IMEI of the old phone on record. I updated the IMEI, waited about 30 minutes, rebooted everything and toggled everything on and off again (the magic rain dance) and it started working on one of the iPads. Despite many reboots and toggles it still did not work on the Macs or the other iPad. I continued playing around with it trying to get those to work enough that I broke it again. It took quite a while doing the rain dance but I was finally able to get back to the state with the one iPad working. So, that's something. I have a case in with Apple and they have escallated it to engineering. Hopefully I'll hear more tomorrow.

Reactions: gwhizkids

bwoodruff

macrumors regular
Original poster
Feb 28, 2015
Western NY
Another thing I've found... AT&T has a 5 device limit for NumberSync. When I look in Settings > Cellular > Wi-Fi Calling > Update Emergency Address > Change NumberSync Address AT&T lists 8 devices... some of which are duplicates (i.e. Bens AppleWatch is there twice). I'm reaching out to AT&T to see how I can remove some of these devices, but have not had much luck so far.

gwhizkids

macrumors G4
Jun 21, 2013
Another thing I've found... AT&T has a 5 device limit for NumberSync. When I look in Settings > Cellular > Wi-Fi Calling > Update Emergency Address > Change NumberSync Address AT&T lists 8 devices... some of which are duplicates (i.e. Bens AppleWatch is there twice). I'm reaching out to AT&T to see how I can remove some of these devices, but have not had much luck so far.

Post back on this. My watch is listed 8 times!

bwoodruff

macrumors regular
Original poster
Feb 28, 2015
Western NY
Yep! That seems to have been it. It seems it is mostly working now. I set up two iPads with NumberSync and now they can make calls even with the iPhone turned off. After talking to AT&T / FirstNet via multiple channels for quite some time and them not really "getting it" I finally just said "can you please entirely remove the Wi-Fi calling SOC feature code from my line so I can start completely fresh?" They did. After verifying that when viewing my account online the feature was no longer listed I rebooted the iPhone and sure enough Wi-Fi calling was disabled. I re-enabled it and did the rain dance a bunch of times (turning Wi-Fi calling on and off, turning Calls for Other Devices on and off, rebooting the phone and the other devices, etc) it is now working and only the devices I want are listed.

I haven't got the Macs working yet... they still want to make calls "using your iPhone," but I'm less concerned about them, I guess. That seems more like something to troubleshoot further with Apple rather than AT&T anyway.

One thing that is perhaps a little odd is that my Apple Watch is listed, though I've never asked it to be. It is a gen 2 watch with no cellular so I don't think it can really take advantage of NumberSync, and is basically just taking up one of my 5 slots... but if that is the only problem I'm not going to complain.

gwhizkids

macrumors G4
Jun 21, 2013
The Watch can make calls if it is connected to Wi-Fi. I tried that after finding the 8 instances of it in the settings you suggested checking and it worked flawlessly (one of the reasons I passed on the cellular enabled Watch).

bwoodruff

macrumors regular
Original poster
Feb 28, 2015
Western NY
The Watch can make calls if it is connected to Wi-Fi. I tried that after finding the 8 instances of it in the settings you suggested checking and it worked flawlessly (one of the reasons I passed on the cellular enabled Watch).

Hmm. Mine doesn't seem to do that. If I turn the phone off the watch can't make a call.
[doublepost=1543371634][/doublepost]For what it's worth here is what it looks like when working properly. The phone can be completely turned off and the other devices can still make calls over Wi-Fi or cellular using your phone number. The devices do not have to have cellular connections of their own, and if they do, they do not have to be with the same carrier as your phone.

2s01s03.png

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.