Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Mr. Anderson

Moderator emeritus
Original poster
Nov 1, 2001
VA
So if you bought a quad and didn't get the 7800 and wanted to upgrade where would you get it?

I did a quick search at Apple and they don't offer it and web searches all come up with PC versions of the card.

Thanks,

D

Lord Blackadder

macrumors P6
May 7, 2004
Sod off
I'm stumped...I thought this was available as a kit from Apple.

There's a good chance that they simply have no stock of these cards, of course.

Mr. Anderson

Moderator emeritus
Original poster
Nov 1, 2001
VA
I'm just curious, is all. If I got a quad G5 I might or might not pick it up in person at the Apple store. If I get it at the store, then I'm probably not going to have the option for the 7800....bleh.

And what's the time frame on the x1800XT?

D

Lord Blackadder

macrumors P6
May 7, 2004
Sod off
Mr. Anderson said:
I'm just curious, is all. If I got a quad G5 I might or might not pick it up in person at the Apple store. If I get it at the store, then I'm probably not going to have the option for the 7800....bleh.

And what's the time frame on the x1800XT?

D

The PC version of the X1800XT was announced in October IIRC, and they are now reasonably available. But I've heard nothing at all about a Mac version yet...

Mr. Anderson

Moderator emeritus
Original poster
Nov 1, 2001
VA
Lord Blackadder said:
The PC version of the X1800XT was announced in October IIRC, and they are now reasonably available. But I've heard nothing at all about a Mac version yet...

And there's also the GTX version of the 7800 with 512 Megs of RAM which isn't available for Mac either.

Quite an annoying situation - and it seems its always been that way....

D

Lord Blackadder

macrumors P6
May 7, 2004
Sod off
Mr. Anderson said:
And there's also the GTX version of the 7800 with 512 Megs of RAM which isn't available for Mac either.

Quite an annoying situation - and it seems its always been that way....

D

Actually, I think Mac users have become spoiled since the introduction of the 6800 and X800 series - now we're getting back to the "sloppy seconds" philosophy of Mac video cards.

I really hope that some day soon the words "dual platform card" will be printed on the boxes of every new release.

*shouts to nVidia and ATI* "It's just a firmware difference, d*mmit!":mad:

solvs

macrumors 603
Jun 25, 2002
LaLaLand, CA
I've heard the Mac version is low on supply and high on demand, so I'm guessing they're all being used in the BTO. Of course, but the time it's available as a retail kit, a new model will be out just like what happened with the X800/850.

Mr. Anderson

Moderator emeritus
Original poster
Nov 1, 2001
VA
iGary said:
Screw it, just get the Quadro. :)

But that too is only an option on the BTO machines - no upgrade kits from Apple. And its way too much money for what I'm looking at. I'll be getting more RAM and another 24" monitor (dual 24"s work out better than a single 30").

The thing is, like solvs said, it won't be available until the a new is out....so I'm wondering if I should wait till after MWSF or not - but the thing is I can really use the machine now for some work I'm doing and even the 6600 is far ahead of what I have now.

There's no guarantee that I'll be able to get a quad at the store anyway - but I just need to know my options.

D

MacsRgr8

macrumors G3
Sep 8, 2002
The Netherlands
Hector said:
maybe wait a bit for a retail x1800XT.

I second this.

OK, so we haven't even heard of any rumors confirming any announcement of this grfx card for the Mac.
But is must just be plain common sense that ATi must be working on some card for the PCI-E G5. It's all nVidia now, and I won't be surprized to see some big announcement from ATi @ MWSF.
My bet is that the X1800 XT will be launched in January, bragging the H.264 hardware support on it.

I would wait till after MWSF.

Mr. Anderson

Moderator emeritus
Original poster
Nov 1, 2001
VA
MacsRgr8 said:
I second this.

OK, so we haven't even heard of any rumors confirming any announcement of this grfx card for the Mac.
But is must just be plain common sense that ATi must be working on some card for the PCI-E G5. It's all nVidia now, and I won't be surprized to see some big announcement from ATi @ MWSF.
My bet is that the X1800 XT will be launched in January, bragging the H.264 hardware support on it.

I would wait till after MWSF.

I've been thinking there was going to be something announced as well for MWSF.

And since its less than a month away, it might just be best to wait. I can eek out on my current system that much longer I think.

D

generik

macrumors 601
Aug 5, 2005
Minitrue
Any chance that we will see speed bumps to the PM at MWSF? :D

I mean if some are guessing that new cards for the PM will be unveiled.. maybe we will see Intel PowerMacs!

Morn

macrumors 6502
Oct 26, 2005
Hopefully mactel's will be able to use normal PC firmware. :D I mean, as I understand the problem is that some of the firmware code needs to run on the CPU of the computer, hence the mac firmware for video card has some powerpc code in it.
However, I'm sure you can just buy a pc 7800GTX, get the GPU firmware from say a friends quad powermac and put it onto your own 7800GTX.:D

eXan

macrumors 601
Jan 10, 2005
Russia
Morn said:
Hopefully mactel's will be able to use normal PC firmware. :D I mean, as I understand the problem is that some of the firmware code needs to run on the CPU of the computer, hence the mac firmware for video card has some powerpc code in it.
However, I'm sure you can just buy a pc 7800GTX, get the GPU firmware from say a friends quad powermac and put it onto your own 7800GTX.:D

Only GT is available for Mac.

Mr. Anderson

Moderator emeritus
Original poster
Nov 1, 2001
VA
Morn said:

I'd love to see someone try that first to make sure it works :D

I'm going to wait until MWSF before I buy - and then I'll get a BTO with the config that has the best card for me. There's no sense to play around with stuff afterwards and I can work with what I have for another month....

D

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.