Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Classic

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jul 9, 2001

"it lets you connect both an Apple display (using the Apple Display Connector) and a VGA display — without using an additional graphics card."

For those of us who don't have the extra cash to shell out for a new apple monitor, is there a way to conect two older VGA monitors to a Twin View?

I've seen the ADC to DVI converter which allows you to connect an older Cinema or Studio display to a new G4. I've also seen the Dr. Bott DVIator - DVI to ADC adapter which allows you to connect a newer display to an older computer.

But I haven't seen anything that will allow me to plug a VGA monitor into an ADC connector. Does such a beast exist?

For those of you with the GeForce3, does it only have an ADC connector, or does it have the option for either an ADC or VGA?

Thanks.

evildead

macrumors 65816
Jun 18, 2001
WestCost, USA
I think It does

If you look at the apple website section on the specs of the video cards you well find what you are looking for. I have the GeForce2 non-twin view card in my new Quicksliver and it has both the Apple connection and a VGA contection. I would assum that the GeForce3 is the same way. Are you getting a GeFoce3? I bet its really nice. I was testing mine out with Unreal and I got an average of 80 frames per second on my Geforce2. I was seening peeks at 110 frams per second. The GeForce3 must really kick ass!

Classic

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jul 9, 2001
Not getting a GeForce3

I'm sticking with the GeForce2 Twin. I'm not much of a gamer, nor am I a Maya Fiend using massive texture maps. I'd rather put the extra money for a GeForce3 towards an Apple LCD.

Anybody have any opinions on whether a Final Cut user will find a difference between a GeForce2 or GeForce3?

In the meantime, I've found that there is no ADC-VGA converter. For $50-60 you have to buy an ADC-DVI and a DVI-VGA converter... Doesn't sound like too much fun, but atleast it's possible to hook up two VGA monitors to the Twin View.

If anybody has any more info on this, please post it!

Thanks.

evildead

macrumors 65816
Jun 18, 2001
WestCost, USA
You know...

But the time you buy the VGA and both the adaptors you could could proably buy a Apple LCD for the same price. Or better yet... for the price of 2 VGA's all the adaptors and the Twin View card... you could get the normal GeForce2 and a huge Apple LCD. I dont know if thats true or not... but I would pirce it all out first.

frichard

macrumors newbie
Aug 21, 2001
two VGA monitor ...

So if we have two VGA monitor, do we have to stick to the regular GForce2 and plug in another PCI card? And if so, which one do you recommend for the second card?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.