Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

JayKay514

macrumors regular
Original poster
Feb 28, 2014
Yes, I read the Nvidia FAQ thread, so please don't flame me...

Can't seem to find a definitive answer whether the NVS 510 (Kepler) will work in a Mac Pro 5,1 - or alternately the Quadro K1200 or the M2000 (Maxwell).

System:
  • Stock Mac Pro 5,1 on latest El Capitan
My needs are:
  • A low profile card to replace the stock Radeon, so I can get 1 PCI slot back for other things
  • 4 concurrent monitor support, up to 4K native 3840x2160, DP 1.2, 30Hz is fine, 60Hz is great
  • Ideally 4 Mini DisplayPort connectors, or 4 regular DisplayPort. No need for old school DVI.
  • As long as it works properly with sleep/wake, I'm fine without EFI/boot screens, but if they're supported, it's a bonus.
  • Don't need very much re: 3D acceleration or CUDA, this is NOT for gaming
There are anecdotal posts in other threads regarding the NVS 510 working with the native Apple / Nvidia web drivers; can anyone confirm this? Any magic combo of drivers needed?

Thanks in advance!

AidenShaw

macrumors P6
Feb 8, 2003
The Peninsula
Yes, I read the Nvidia FAQ thread, so please don't flame me...

Can't seem to find a definitive answer whether the NVS 510 (Kepler) will work in a Mac Pro 5,1 - or alternately the Quadro K1200 or the M2000 (Maxwell).

System:
  • Stock Mac Pro 5,1 on latest El Capitan
My needs are:
  • A low profile card to replace the stock Radeon, so I can get 1 PCI slot back for other things
  • 4 concurrent monitor support, up to 4K native 3840x2160, DP 1.2, 30Hz is fine, 60Hz is great
  • Ideally 4 Mini DisplayPort connectors, or 4 regular DisplayPort. No need for old school DVI.
  • As long as it works properly with sleep/wake, I'm fine without EFI/boot screens, but if they're supported, it's a bonus.
  • Don't need very much re: 3D acceleration or CUDA, this is NOT for gaming
There are anecdotal posts in other threads regarding the NVS 510 working with the native Apple / Nvidia web drivers; can anyone confirm this? Any magic combo of drivers needed?

Thanks in advance!
"Low profile" refers to the height of the card. "Double width" (or "dual slot") cards cover up the adjacent PCIe slot.

If you want to use the adjacent PCIe slot, you want a "single slot" card, not a "low profile" card.

Reactions: itdk92

JayKay514

macrumors regular
Original poster
Feb 28, 2014
"Low profile" refers to the height of the card. "Double width" (or "dual slot") cards cover up the adjacent PCIe slot.

If you want to use the adjacent PCIe slot, you want a "single slot" card, not a "low profile" card.

Thanks for clarifying the terminology. Yes, I would prefer a single-slot card, the profile height is less important as long as there's a tall mounting bracket available...

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.