Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.
Status
The first post of this thread is a WikiPost and can be edited by anyone with the appropiate permissions. Your edits will be public.

sv1cec

macrumors newbie
Apr 16, 2009
There is another active thread with some solutions there, not sure which ones are "permanent", do check it out and try them to see if they help your situation:

Went through it, so luck.

I am fed up with this!

I am not running any NVidia specific programs here, but I need Screen Sharing to work correctly. Would replacing the NVidia card with an MSI one solve the problem?

Ashok.Vardhan

macrumors member
Original poster
Oct 4, 2017
Visakhapatnam, India
Went through it, so luck.

I am fed up with this!

I am not running any NVidia specific programs here, but I need Screen Sharing to work correctly. Would replacing the NVidia card with an MSI one solve the problem?

Currently in the consumer market there are only two major GPU manufacturers that make GPU chipset that work in Apple systems: AMD & NVidia (only on legacy hardware).

Apple cut ties with NVidia a few years ago and support has been problematic for their legacy GPUs ever since. Apple stopped supporting Nvidia chipset GPUs on Mojave OS X 10.14 onwards with the introduction of Metal. The last OS that supports NVidia chipset GPUs on a MacPro was High Sierra OS X 10.13.6.

MSI does not make any specific chipset for GPUs, they usually use AMD or NVidia chipsets in the GPUs they produce.

So if you have an MSI GPU that has an AMD chipset, that should work on your MacPro, however, check these threads for compatibility, and any other quirks that might arise with specific individual models:

(a) https://forums.macrumors.com/threads/amd-polaris-vega-navi-gpu-macos-support.2083168/

(b) https://forums.macrumors.com/threads/gpu-compatibility-list-for-cmp.2174600/

Also go through this guide: https://blog.greggant.com/posts/2018/05/07/definitive-mac-pro-upgrade-guide.html#gpuupgrades

Last edited:

MikeKato

macrumors newbie
Jun 5, 2022
From MacVidCards, Europe (June 5, 2022):

"Hello,

NVIDIA would probably renew the certificate tomorrow (Monday). You can try changing the computer date to somewhere in April to see if this helps.

Regards,
Marek Zakrzewski
MacVidCards Europe"

Reactions: Ashok.Vardhan

Appleturd

macrumors newbie
Jun 5, 2022
With this tool you can install and download every (!) version of Nvidia OS X Webdriver
Since June 01st the drivers for my Titan-X (Maxwell) PCI-e GPU were not working anymore. When I tried to reinstall using WebDriver-387.10.10.10.40.140 it appears that the certificate is not valid anymore.

The preference pane panels for both CUDA and NVIDIA Driver Manager were not working:

View attachment 2012348

I managed to reinstall CUDA drivers by using the following commands in terminal on the CUDAMacOSXInstaller.app file:

sudo spctl --master-disable
sudo codesign --force --deep --sign - /Users/AshokVardhan/Desktop/CUDAMacOSXInstaller.app
xattr -cr /Users/AshokVardhan/Desktop/CUDAMacOSXInstaller.app

However, the same procedure was not working for WebDriver-387.10.10.10.40.140.pkg file.

Initially it would give the error message:
View attachment 2012350
Once I performed these actions in terminal:

sudo codesign --force --deep --sign - /Users/AshokVardhan/Desktop/WebDriver-387.10.10.10.40.140.pkg
xattr -cr /Users/AshokVardhan/Desktop/WebDriver-387.10.10.10.40.140.pkg

The installer starts to run, however, during the last step it fails and this the error message I am getting:

View attachment 2012349
SIP was disabled in recovery mode using Command-R during bootup by using this command in terminal:

csrutil disable

How do I fix this??

The drivers were working fine till the end of May, 2022. No changes were done to the system.

Thanks in advance.
This small app modifies the Nvidia web driver so that it will restart under newer High Sierra and Mojave systems.

The app from version 4.0 can also be used to simply download and install the latest available driver.
Language English, German and French.

How to use this app

Installation of older NVIDIA Webdriver on not supported High Sierra versions.
Starting from version 4.0 download of the newest and older Webdriver possible.
Apply after an update to re-enable the old webdriver.

Preparation for new installation
An existing older NVIDIA Webdriver installer on the system.

found @

Appleturd

macrumors newbie
Jun 5, 2022
Since June 01st the drivers for my Titan-X (Maxwell) PCI-e GPU were not working anymore. When I tried to reinstall using WebDriver-387.10.10.10.40.140 it appears that the certificate is not valid anymore.

The preference pane panels for both CUDA and NVIDIA Driver Manager were not working:

View attachment 2012348

I managed to reinstall CUDA drivers by using the following commands in terminal on the CUDAMacOSXInstaller.app file:

sudo codesign --force --deep --sign - /Users/AshokVardhan/Desktop/CUDAMacOSXInstaller.app
xattr -cr /Users/AshokVardhan/Desktop/CUDAMacOSXInstaller.app

However, the same procedure was not working for WebDriver-387.10.10.10.40.140.pkg file.

Initially it would give the error message:
View attachment 2012350
Once I performed these actions in terminal:

sudo codesign --force --deep --sign - /Users/AshokVardhan/Desktop/WebDriver-387.10.10.10.40.140.pkg
xattr -cr /Users/AshokVardhan/Desktop/WebDriver-387.10.10.10.40.140.pkg

The installer starts to run, however, during the last step it fails and this the error message I am getting:

View attachment 2012349
SIP was disabled in recovery mode using Command-R during bootup by using this command in terminal:

csrutil disable

How do I fix this??

The drivers were working fine till the end of May, 2022. No changes were done to the system.

Thanks in advance.
See conversation with nvidia support from 6.6.2022

chatAgent.png

Arun: Hi, my name is Arun. How may I help you?

chatEndUserMessage.png

Ben Stevens: Hi since 2. Of June a lot of Nvidia User and me got this problem: NVidia WebDriver-387.10.10.10.40.140 Signature/Certificate invalid. GPU Kexts unable to install/load.

chatAgent.png

Arun: Hello Ben

chatEndUserMessage.png

Ben Stevens: See link: https://forums.macrumors.com/thread...u-kexts-unable-to-install-load.2346484/page-2

chatAgent.png

Arun: I am sorry for the inconvenience and would be glad to assist you

chatAgent.png

Arun: what is the graphics card and the Operating System ?

chatEndUserMessage.png

Ben Stevens: Operating system is macpro 5.1 OS X 10.13.11 high sierra, using Nvidia GTX 980 ti. Was working until 2.6., I didn’t change anything of system/software/driver. Web driver is last version387.10.10.10.40.140 it seems the certificate is not covered anymore. A lot of user are favoring the problem see link

chatAgent.png

Arun: thank you for the details

chatAgent.png

Arun: unfortunately the drivers for this configuration are not available on the NVIDIA website

chatAgent.png

Arun: The graphic cards for Apple are custom designed by Apple to suit the MAC architecture hence the drivers are fully controlled by them to support individual OS or later updates, etc., This needs to be approved by Apple that a compatible driver is available for the OS

chatAgent.png

Arun: Apple fully controls drivers for Mac OS. Unfortunately, NVIDIA currently cannot release a driver unless it is approved by Apple

chatEndUserMessage.png

Ben Stevens: So who released the webdriver? Apple?

chatEndUserMessage.png

Ben Stevens: This is a NVidia software for NVidia cards…

chatAgent.png

Arun: yes the point of contact would be Apple for the compatible drivers

chatEndUserMessage.png

Ben Stevens: NVidia released always a new webdriver for every OS X built

chatEndUserMessage.png

Ben Stevens: it’s not from Apple

chatEndUserMessage.png

Ben Stevens: See https://www.nvidia.com/download/driverResults.aspx/136062/de

chatAgent.png

Arun: you may click on the following link for the driver from NVIDIA, however unfortunately it does not include the graphics card you have mentioned, GTX 980 Ti

chatAgent.png

Arun: the only cards that were supported by this driver are listed under the supported products on this page

chatAgent.png

Arun: if there were drivers available, we would have definitely offered them to you

chatEndUserMessage.png

Ben Stevens: and who released the webdriver built 387.10.10.10.40.140?

chatAgent.png

Arun: the best might be to check with Apple for information on this driver

chatAgent.png

Arun: sorry please ignore, this driver too is available on the NVIDIA website

but again it does not include the graphics card you have mentioned

chatAgent.png

Arun: https://www.nvidia.com/download/driverResults.aspx/167083/

chatEndUserMessage.png

Ben Stevens: Why should Apple deliver support for Nvidia driver released by Nvidia when the certificate ended intentionally by nvidia?

chatEndUserMessage.png

Ben Stevens: We both know that Apple wouldn’t support

chatAgent.png

Arun: could you let us know where do you see this information ?

chatEndUserMessage.png

Ben Stevens: https://factslasopa578.weebly.com/uploads/1/2/5/6/125602654/872533542.gif

chatEndUserMessage.png

Ben Stevens: This installer (see gif) is from Nvidia right? So the webdriver is and always was

chatAlert.png

Communication with Oracle Service Cloud Chat service has been lost. The chat session has been terminated. Check your network connection and verify that you can connect to other sites on the Internet.

• Haha

sv1cec

macrumors newbie
Apr 16, 2009

Ashok.Vardhan

macrumors member
Original poster
Oct 4, 2017
Visakhapatnam, India
No answer there, either!

The most frustrating thing is that all the video cards I have, are NVidia cards!!! Except one, which is an ASUS DirectCUII, but that is a 3-slot card and I can't use it!!!

I totally empathize with you. I was relying on a Titan-X all this while. Needed Mojave to upgrade Adobe Suite so invested in a used WX9100, which never worked. Now I am back to the old original ATI Radeon HD 5770 1024 MB and am literally able to do nothing on it except web-browsing and text editing.

Where I live, we do not have a large market for used cards, so just contemplating on which direction to go ahead.

Might invest in a AMD Radeon 6xxx card and flash it to use in my mid-2012 MacPro 5,1.

Till a few weeks back it was thought that even the AMD Radeon 6xxx series could not be used, because of hardware limitations, which on further investigation was revealed that was not the case.

Now Syncretic has come up with a solution:

raoultesla

macrumors newbie
Nov 23, 2014
There is another active thread with some solutions there, not sure which ones are "permanent", do check it out and try them to see if they help your situation:

Have been watching/reading that thread since this whole thing started.
I am a
Screen Shot 2022-06-07 at 9.07.34 AM.jpeg

I cannot find any of me with this problem. All I can find is you Pro guys (who are totally focused)

In regards to what is said above, and reading ALL of the 236445 thread link above I can say...
I had a spared MBP 2.8 with same GT750M, it was OFF before this started.
I started the machine yesterday June 6 , NOT Interwebs connected, waited 3 minutes, then connected Internet and all is fine.
Ran a draining Russian, over coded, crap, MMOG and the GT750M keeps working.
Shutdown, phsycially disconnected Cat5/6 cable, restarted, waited 3 minutes, plugged in Cat5/6 to router, and again all works OK.
I have not tried the 'solution'
(https://forums.macrumors.com/thread...idia-webdrivers-anymore.2346445/post-31142878)
that looks to have worked for most on the other thread as I am not a MacPro with removable card like you guys.
It is obvious that the Restart Connected is the issue. Regardless of Certifications, or kexts, etc.
I hope this helps someone make a decicsion in importance of what 'sudo' order is appropriate to fix this issue.

It is more than saddening to hear people say they contacted nVidia who are 'looking into the Leukemia test resuts, and will get back to you" as we all know they and Apple do not care aobut us.

Could you tell me where High Sierra MBP people here live/chat? I cannot find anyone with same issure discussing.

raoultesla

macrumors newbie
Nov 23, 2014
Currently in the consumer market there are only two major GPU manufacturers that make GPU chipset that work in Apple systems: AMD & NVidia (only on legacy hardware).

Apple cut ties with NVidia a few years ago and support has been problematic for their legacy GPUs ever since. Apple stopped supporting Nvidia chipset GPUs on Mojave OS X 10.14 onwards with the introduction of Metal. The last OS that supports NVidia chipset GPUs on a MacPro was High Sierra OS X 10.13.6.

MSI does not make any specific chipset for GPUs, they usually use AMD or NVidia chipsets in the GPUs they produce.

So if you have an MSI GPU that has an AMD chipset, that should work on your MacPro, however, check these threads for compatibility, and any other quirks that might arise with specific individual models:

(a) https://forums.macrumors.com/threads/amd-polaris-vega-navi-gpu-macos-support.2083168/

(b) https://forums.macrumors.com/threads/gpu-compatibility-list-for-cmp.2174600/

Also go through this guide: https://blog.greggant.com/posts/2018/05/07/definitive-mac-pro-upgrade-guide.html#gpuupgrades
Ashok, Dayo over on the other thread same problem has updated his 'solution'.

kingAndy

macrumors newbie
Jun 8, 2022
I have the same problem (High Sierra 10.13.6 (17G14033))
Nvidia GTX 1080 stopped working

takovej

macrumors member
Mar 6, 2015
This has nothing to do with nVidia, no need to bother them, the revoked certificates were issued by Apple to sign Nvidia's drivers. Expired on June 1st and were immediately blacklisted by Apple as part of the fight between these two companies. I don't expect much and looks like blocking ocsp servers is the only solution for now...

sv1cec

macrumors newbie
Apr 16, 2009
SUCCESS!!! I run that Applescript from the other thread, blocked access to ocsp.apple.com and ocsp2.apple.com from LittleSnitch and I finally can use Screen sharing again! Oh and Chrome works as it used to.

Ashok.Vardhan

macrumors member
Original poster
Oct 4, 2017
Visakhapatnam, India
If anyone wants to run a official solution (with CUDA and WebDrivers) from NVidia with new certificates do try these steps. They worked for me:

1. Download the GPU & CUDA Driver combo FullerFun shared in post #602 at this thread: https://forums.macrumors.com/thread...idia-webdrivers-anymore.2346445/post-31186645

2. Boot into Safe Mode by holding SHIFT during the boot up process.

3. Open System Preferences.

4. Open "NVIDIA Driver Manager" to uninstall your existing GPU driver. If "NVIDIA Driver Manager" preference pane opens proceed to step 5. If not go to step 6.

5. Once you enter "NVIDIA Driver Manager" preference pane, on the lower right hand corner you will find the "Open Uninstaller" button. Click that, and follow its instruction to uninstall your GPU driver. Proceed to step. 8.

6. If you get an error message asking you to reinstall the driver, then it means that the certificate is revoked and macOS is unable to load the associated files. You will have to manually uninstall your GPU driver (proceed from step 7 for that).

7. Open terminal and run the following commands to manually uninstall GPU driver:

(a) pkgutil --expand /Library/PreferencePanes/NVIDIA\ Driver\ Manager.prefPane/Contents/MacOS/NVIDIA\ Web\ Driver\ Uninstaller.app/Contents/Resources/NVUninstall.pkg /tmp/foo

(b) sudo /tmp/foo/Scripts/postinstall 0 0 /

(c) Enter your password when prompted. Wait for the process to complete.

8. Uninstall your existing certificate revoked CUDA drivers.

(a) Here are some typical CUDA driver uninstallation steps. You will have to run these commands in Terminal (found under "utilities" in your applications folder):

How to remove CUDA driver:

Type each command in the Terminal (when prompted enter your password):
  • sudo rm -rf /Library/Extensions/CUDA.kext
  • sudo rm -rf /Library/Frameworks/CUDA.framework
  • sudo rm -rf /Library/LaunchAgents/com.nvidia.CUDASoftwareUpdate.plist
  • sudo rm -rf /System/Library/StartupItems/CUDA
  • sudo rm -rf /usr/local/cuda
How to remove CUDA preference pane:
  1. Open System Preferences.
  2. Right-click on CUDA.
  3. Click Remove CUDA Preference pane.
(b) Refer to the "uninstall" notes, which are contained in the "installation guide" for your respective version in the archive here: https://developer.nvidia.com/cuda-toolkit-archive

For example, for version 10.2 this is the link: https://docs.nvidia.com/cuda/archive/10.2/cuda-installation-guide-mac-os-x/index.html#uninstall

(c) Or search on Google for an appropriate tutorial to manually uninstall your CUDA driver. (What I have observed is that any driver (GPU or CUDA) once their certificates are revoked, their respective uninstallers--which might have been installed during the past installation process--might not work. You have to go about the process manually using terminal and/or finder, or a combination of both.)

9. Install the GPU & CUDA Driver combo downloaded in step-1.

10. Reboot (into normal mode)

11. Most likely everything should work fine.

Enjoy!

Last edited:
Reactions: 2ndStreet

Sam Gumgee

macrumors newbie
Nov 25, 2014
If anyone wants to run a official solution (with CUDA and WebDrivers) from NVidia with new certificates do try these steps. They worked for me:

1. Download the GPU & CUDA Driver combo FullerFun shared in post #602 at this thread: https://forums.macrumors.com/thread...idia-webdrivers-anymore.2346445/post-31186645

2. Boot into Safe Mode by holding SHIFT during the boot up process.

3. Open System Preferences.

4. Open "NVIDIA Driver Manager" to uninstall your existing GPU driver. If "NVIDIA Driver Manager" preference pane opens proceed to step 5. If not go to step 6.

5. Once you enter "NVIDIA Driver Manager" preference pane, on the lower right hand corner you will find the "Open Uninstaller" button. Click that, and follow its instruction to uninstall your GPU driver. Proceed to step. 8.

6. If you get an error message asking you to reinstall the driver, then it means that the certificate is revoked and macOS is unable to load the associated files. You will have to manually uninstall your GPU driver (proceed from step 7 for that).

7. Open terminal and run the following commands to manually uninstall GPU driver:

(a) pkgutil --expand /Library/PreferencePanes/NVIDIA\ Driver\ Manager.prefPane/Contents/MacOS/NVIDIA\ Web\ Driver\ Uninstaller.app/Contents/Resources/NVUninstall.pkg /tmp/foo

(b) sudo /tmp/foo/Scripts/postinstall 0 0 /
(c) Enter your password when prompted. Wait for the process to complete.

8. Uninstall your existing certificate revoked CUDA drivers.

(a) Refer to the "uninstall" notes, which are contained in the "installation guide" for your respective version in the archive here: https://developer.nvidia.com/cuda-toolkit-archive

For example, for version 10.2 this is the link: https://docs.nvidia.com/cuda/archive/10.2/cuda-installation-guide-mac-os-x/index.html#uninstall

(b) Or search on Google for an appropriate tutorial to manually uninstall your CUDA driver. (What I have observed is that any driver (GPU or CUDA) once their certificates are revoked, their respective uninstallers--which might have been installed during the past installation process--might not work. You have to go about the process manually using terminal and/or finder, or a combination of both.)

9. Install the GPU & CUDA Driver combo downloaded in step-1.

10. Reboot (into normal mode)

11. Most likely everything should work fine.

Enjoy!
This worked for me thank you!
Right up to step#8 when it all 'fell apart'.... Then utilized 'TrashMe' app instead to locate and trash all related Nvidia WebDriver & Cuda files.
After that it took two restarts to get things back to normal again. 👍👍👍

Ashok.Vardhan

macrumors member
Original poster
Oct 4, 2017
Visakhapatnam, India
This worked for me thank you!
Right up to step#8 when it all 'fell apart'.... Then utilized 'TrashMe' app instead to locate and trash all related Nvidia WebDriver & Cuda files.
After that it took two restarts to get things back to normal again. 👍👍👍

Glad to hear you were able to successfully resolve the problem.

I appended the instructions to include some typical manual CUDA uninstallation commands, for those that come after.

Some of the uninstallation apps like TrashMe can definitely be helpful if one is hesitant to jump into the ocean of terminal, though we cannot be assured they will achieve 100% success in all cases.

Which card are you using? macOS build? (Try including them in your "signature" for your macrumour ID) for posterity. Some clues on how to help can be referenced from that info.

Sam Gumgee

macrumors newbie
Nov 25, 2014

I appended the instructions to include some typical manual CUDA uninstallation commands, for those that come after.

Some of the uninstallation apps like TrashMe can definitely be helpful if one is hesitant to jump into the ocean of terminal, though we cannot be assured they will achieve 100% success in all cases.

Which card are you using? macOS build? (Try including them in your "signature" for your macrumour ID) for posterity. Some clues on how to help can be referenced from that info.
The NVIDIA TITAN XP Star Wars Collector's Edition Jedi Order Graphics Card 12gb will be the last hurrah on my Mac 5,1 (keeping at High Sierra 😉)

RevHead

macrumors newbie
Jun 27, 2022

I'm the guy that can't start up in SAFE mode. So I used TrashMe then re-installed the up-to-date WebDriver which reported that the installation failed. However the preference pane appeared and running it I was able to select NVIDA as the driver. Tried normal restart then SAFE start without success (blank screen). PRAM restart worked but only the generic driver appeared. The NVIDA preference pane no longer worked, reporting that I should re-install the package.

I'm thinking of swapping out the card for the original ADM card, start in SAFE and perform you suggested procedures. Any thoughts would be helpful.

MacTower84

macrumors newbie
Jun 27, 2022
Los Angeles

Hi Ashok, i noticed this thread is June 3, it is now June 28. Had apple or /nvidia or anyone in the community found a solution for this yet? i really hope so. peace

MacPro5,1 (mid 2010) (17G14042)
High Sierra 10.13.6
2 x 3.33 GHz 6-Core Intel Xeon
64 GB 1333 MHz DDR3

Ashok.Vardhan

macrumors member
Original poster
Oct 4, 2017
Visakhapatnam, India
Hi Ashok, i noticed this thread is June 3, it is now June 28. Had apple or /nvidia or anyone in the community found a solution for this yet? i really hope so. peace

MacPro5,1 (mid 2010) (17G14042)
High Sierra 10.13.6
2 x 3.33 GHz 6-Core Intel Xeon
64 GB 1333 MHz DDR3

Yes, there is a solution.

Please refer to the first post.

I just edited it to include a solution. Hope that resolves your issue.

All the best.

RevHead

macrumors newbie
Jun 27, 2022
Ashok, thanks so much for your efforts. I was finally able to SAFE boot and ran the terminal commands as you instruct, however for commands that refer to GeForce files in System Extensions I get "Operation not permitted". ( I have dbl checked that permissions are good.)

Consequently the NVIDA web driver pkg attempts to load then reports it failed to install.

I was able to install the web driver (after using TrashIt for the NVIDA files) on another startup drive I have in the same computer.

I guess a clean system install is my only other option.

wstrohm

macrumors newbie
Jul 13, 2022
The easiest way I have found to fix the revoked WebDriver issue is to download and install the new version good through October 2027, from post #137 on this web page.

wstrohm

macrumors newbie
Jul 13, 2022
"That post links to this post..." That is incorrect. There are other posts on that same page. Please scroll down to the correct post number (#137) located in the upper right corner of the post. I uploaded a direct link to the downloadable file.Try again! ;)

bogdanw

macrumors 603
Mar 10, 2009
"That post links to this post..." That is incorrect. There are other posts on that same page. Please scroll down to the correct post number (#137) located in the upper right corner of the post. I uploaded a direct link to the downloadable file.Try again! ;)
Seriously?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.