Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

schlapparazzi

macrumors newbie
Original poster
May 25, 2020
Hi there,
I am planning to upgrade my 4,1 MacPro.
I have a question I could not find answers here in the Forum:

- when "upgrading" to Mojave and installing Bootrom 144.0.0.0 is it still possible to keep the 10.9. installed and boot on one of the harddrives? I would do a clean install on another drive of course and keep my 10.9. installation untouched.

with the 144 bootrom I should be able to boot from a PCI NVMe (I ordered a Samsung 970 evo and an IcyDock PCIe Adapter)
If I clone my 10.9. system drive to the NVMe Drive, would 10.9. boot from the NVMe?

I love my 10.9. system, everything works smoothly and yet I want to explore High Sierra or Mojave I do not want to loose the ability to stay on 10.9.

Thanks for your help

(I already did the 5,1 patch and watched tons of YT Tutorials etc. )

schlapparazzi

macrumors newbie
Original poster
May 25, 2020
my bad, did some more research and found my answers:

- 144.0.0.0.0 and previous macOS releases note:

Yes, BootROM 144.0.0.0.0 can boot even 10.6.4 (10F2521), the first ever macOS release that supports a MP5,1, but you are limited to GPU driver support since you can't boot a macOS version that don't have drivers for your GPU. For example, with AMD RX 4xx/5xx GPUs, you are limited to 10.12.6/10.13/10.14.

It's the distribution file inside the macOS installer that defines what Macs are supported. Earlier releases than 10.6.4 (10F2521) don't have MP5,1 support and are not bootable with a MP5,1. Several people on MacRumors checked 10.6.8 and it runs without any problems with 144.0.0.0.0.

Other limitation is NVMe support if you have a NVMe drive, NVMe only works since High Sierra (Sierra for 4KB/sector drives), read the first post of the PCIe SSDs - NVMe & AHCI thread to know more. SATA support is not affected by NVMe support requirements.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.