Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

iclaudius54

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 18, 2021
Hi All,

I was searching around the threads for the answer, but can't seem to find it.

I have a 2009 cMP 5,1 that I've updated to Big Sur (11.2.3). Used OCLP since it seemed like just a quick way to get set up. I loaded everything onto a 2.5" SSD in bay 1 from the USB drive, but I want to use a Sabrent 1TB PCIe NVMe drive for my boot. It's about 5-6x faster than the SSD. So I Carbon Copied the OS over to the Sabrent and I can't get the system to recognize the NVMe as bootable. Even stranger is that the system was running Mojave OS off the Sabrent NVMe before the upgrade. So I know that the NVMe can be used to boot. The Sabrent is currently showing as "no" to bootable volume in diskutil.

I even mounted the EFI folder of Big Sur on the Sabrent and ran the legacy patcher to build OC on it to allow for NVMe boot. Nothing...

Do I need to bless the NVMe drive? Can I use Martin Lo's Bless script on the NVMe drive? I thought about running it or dropping it in, but am unclear on the method and don't want to screw up the current install.

Is there something else I'm missing?

devgru

macrumors newbie
Jan 21, 2022
Hi, I am troubleshooting my own NVMe boot issue. What did you wind up doing?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.