Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.
Status
Not open for further replies.

jimj740

macrumors regular
Hey guys !

I'm currently working on modifying the Mac Pro's EFI to support booting from NVMe drives.
The actual implementing isn't so hard if I don't run into any surprises. But it will take some as you get massive headaches from reading hex.
I'll return here when I've found a safe way to flash the Mac Pro without bricking it, and I'll release the source code as well.

Hope a lot of people are interested in this project :)
I think it'll increase the Mac Pro's life span even more !

I wish you luck on this project. Is your intent to insert Apple device IDs such that the standard Apple NVMe driver will work under OS X, or do you intend to create a generic NVMe driver?

Curious,
-JimJ

jimj740

macrumors regular
^^^^The Card h9826790 referenced in his post is an 8 lane card PCIe 3.0 card. It's available in unbelievable capacities - 1.6TB, 3.2TB and 4.0 TB. Things are moving very fast in the blade storage category:eek:

Lou

FWIW - at Flash Memory Summit Samsung announced a 16TB 2.5inch SSD, and although this particular model was SAS based they have an entire line of 2.5 inch NVMe drives as well as half height half length and M.2 variants. If they can fit it in 2.5 inch form factor they can make it in a PCIe card; 3.6 TB NVMe AICs have been shipping for over a year. Several cards also boast over 1M IOPS at this point, but the really impressive changes in performance are latency reductions!

Big changes underway in storage right now...

-JimJ

Lauwie

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jun 17, 2011
Making some progress:

In reading through the nMP firmware I've discovered the FL1100 driver, and have tried to implement into the MP 5,1 EFI. Until now I have had limited success with booting from the PCIe card (at least flashing my new firmware didn't brick my Mac Pro, great thanks to MacVidcards for the tip !).
And don't worry I'm still very busy with figuring out the NVMe support :)

h9826790

macrumors P6
Apr 3, 2014
Hong Kong
FL1100? Is that means we may able to boot via the USB 3 card? (I am just a normal computer user, basically have zero knowledge on what EFI can do)

Reactions: Petri Krohn

Lauwie

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jun 17, 2011
FL1100? Is that means we may able to boot via the USB 3 card? (I am just a normal computer user, basically have zero knowledge on what EFI can do)
Yes it means that if I implement this feature successfully you'll be able to boot from usb 3.0 :)

Reactions: ActionableMango

h9826790

macrumors P6
Apr 3, 2014
Hong Kong
Wow, that will be really a good news for me. Really appreciate your work, no matter what the end result is, still thanks for your contribution.

Reactions: Lauwie

mikeboss

macrumors 68000
Aug 13, 2009
switzerland
Making some progress:

In reading through the nMP firmware I've discovered the FL1100 driver, and have tried to implement into the MP 5,1 EFI. Until now I have had limited success with booting from the PCIe card (at least flashing my new firmware didn't brick my Mac Pro, great thanks to MacVidcards for the tip !).
And don't worry I'm still very busy with figuring out the NVMe support :)

no kidding: while thinking about it I thought to myself: I'll have to ask him if it would be possible to implement the Fresco Logic support into the new EFI. this is really exciting stuff!!

Stephen Daedulus

macrumors newbie
Sep 30, 2015
Hi I'm a newbie about this NVME stuff. It was my understanding that Apple added support for the NVME protocol with Yosemite. So am I to assume that the bios for the MacPro5,1 is the problem with using NVME?

flowrider

macrumors 604
Nov 23, 2012
^^^^The SM951 NVMe version is extremely rare. Most sellers show a pict of the device, and the type of chip is clearly marked on the on the label.

Lou

neomorpheus

macrumors regular
Dec 17, 2014
Would it be possible to modify the efi/bios in a way that normal pc vid cards could be used, instead of needing special efi bios?

Since you are already digging around there. ;)

rawweb

macrumors 65816
Aug 7, 2015
Would it be possible to modify the efi/bios in a way that normal pc vid cards could be used, instead of needing special efi bios?

Since you are already digging around there. ;)

A lot of normal PC video cards do work ;). Modifying the internal mac EFI will not give your bios/UEFI based video card a boot screen.

lunaoso

macrumors 65816
Sep 22, 2012
Boston, MA
I don't even have a Mac Pro, but its really interesting stuff what you're doing! Good luck with your project, stuff like this is very infuriating but fun at the same time, and seeing it finally working is the best feeling in the world :).

Reactions: Lauwie

neomorpheus

macrumors regular
Dec 17, 2014
A lot of normal PC video cards do work ;). Modifying the internal mac EFI will not give your bios/UEFI based video card a boot screen.

Well, thats what I would love to be able to do, (boot screen).

sadly, everyone that wants an expandable Mac is at the mercy of MVC prices.

best of luck, OP.

flowrider

macrumors 604
Nov 23, 2012
^^^^The boot screen comes from the EFI on the GPU not from the EFI on the mob.

IMO, MVC prices are very fair. The best way to utilize MVC's talents is for you to furnish him the GPU for him to modify. His pricing for a finished card is high, because he sells through eBay and their fees are insanely high. You can avoid the markup on the basic card by supplying him with the card.

Lou

Jul 4, 2015
Paris
Still, such a waste of time and excitement. From SSDReview:

'Now, let’s be real here, while it is great to see such high performance due to NVMe, consumers will never reach such high queue depths and utilize such high IOPS.'

And if you are expecting some kind of faster boot times...a standard SATA3 drive is still your best bang for buck in terms of real world performance and price. Anything above that just looks good in synthetic benchmarks or when people try to impress each other on a forum with how much money they spent. Here's a dose of reality...

Attachments

• image.png
    image.png
    27.8 KB · Views: 428

rawweb

macrumors 65816
Aug 7, 2015
Well, thats what I would love to be able to do, (boot screen).

sadly, everyone that wants an expandable Mac is at the mercy of MVC prices.

best of luck, OP.

I have to agree with @flowrider, his prices are fair, especially for the flashing service. I'm sure he puts a lot of hard work into his modifications and deserves what he gets for them. No one else is doing it at his level...it seems no one dare spend the time...so no mercy here.

If you want to DIY, pick up a 3gb R9 280X and experiment with it based on the numerous posts on this forum. I found one on craigslist just to play around with it. It's a solid card.

flowrider

macrumors 604
Nov 23, 2012
Posted on 9/24/15:

I didn't. I made a common metaphor about pointless psychologically driven upgrades/purchases and the reaction is very telling. So this is my last post on the Mac Pro section because I have finally seen what this place is actually about. Enjoy the fantasy you guys have created for yourselves.

So it seems you've eaten your words:oops: Couldn't keep away huh? But your wrong, I can feel the difference when using my SM951:p

Lou

Last edited:

bokkow

macrumors 6502
May 3, 2012
The Netherlands
^^^ Second that!

My SM951 PCI-e is definitely snappier than a 840 Pro at SATA3, which isnt slow either!

The thing is; if there is still headspace in which an everyday consumer can experience even the smallest improvement, why not? And besides, as hardware enthusiasts, who doesnt like new technology and tweaking? It's part of the fun to see how far it can be pushed even though you might not notice benefits anymore!

I had a Mac Mini with a 840 Pro, which was fast, did I need a second SSD in RAID0? Definitely not! But I enjoyed putting it in the little bugger and cranking it up way past original specification making it a 'screamer'.

Surpasing the current high-end machines at a (relatively) bargain, that is the fun in all this! At least for me it is, I enjoy the machine down to the hardware and cant wait to crank it up yet a bit higher again :)

Reactions: pointvicente
Status
Not open for further replies.
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.