Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

DanMG

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 5, 2016

Taz Mangus

macrumors 604
Mar 10, 2011
With the introduction of High Sierra I am noticing NVME being supported out of the box. So my question is now this. Has anyone yet to try and buy a standard NVME PCIE M.2 SSD and install it with an adapter like so (http://www.microsatacables.com/ngff-m2-pcie-ssd-card-as-2013-2014-2015-macbook-ssd-m2-1022-mac) in a 2015 Macbook Pro 13"? The drive I had in mind was something like so (https://www.newegg.ca/Product/Product.aspx?Item=20-250-084&Tpk=20-250-084)

That adapter does not support NVME:
M.2 SSD must be PCIe version SSD, but only AHCI type. It t also cannot support PCIE-NVME SSDs.

gilles_polysoft

macrumors regular
Jul 7, 2017
Tours (France)
Hi,
With the introduction of High Sierra I am noticing NVME being supported out of the box. So my question is now this. Has anyone yet to try and buy a standard NVME PCIE M.2 SSD and install it with an adapter like so (http://www.microsatacables.com/ngff-m2-pcie-ssd-card-as-2013-2014-2015-macbook-ssd-m2-1022-mac) in a 2015 Macbook Pro 13"? The drive I had in mind was something like so (https://www.newegg.ca/Product/Product.aspx?Item=20-250-084&Tpk=20-250-084)
Hi,
Hi had some success with the sintech M.2 ngff to 12+16 adapter and a NVMe drive : the Samsung SM951.
I'm testing other SSDs and will post results on this other post : https://forums.macrumors.com/threads/upgrading-2013-2014-macbook-pro-ssd-to-m-2-nvme.2034976/

TuffWrap

macrumors newbie
Nov 21, 2017
Hi,

Hi,
Hi had some success with the sintech M.2 ngff to 12+16 adapter and a NVMe drive : the Samsung SM951.
I'm testing other SSDs and will post results on this other post : https://forums.macrumors.com/threads/upgrading-2013-2014-macbook-pro-ssd-to-m-2-nvme.2034976/
[doublepost=1511275497][/doublepost]SERIOUSLY FAST DRIVE!

I found a good new old stock Mac Pro 2012 and wanted some speedy drives

So I did some investigating and bought some drives. Here’s the results of speed tests on each drive

OWC Mercury Extreme on SATA SSD Speeds:

Write about 200 MB/s, Read about 265 MB/s

OWC Accelsior PCIe, installed in a x16 slot, costs $455, uses 2 drives in Raid 0 and the speeds:

Write about 465 MB/s, Read about 660 MB/s

OWC is still the old type SSD AHCI

This next setup needs OS 10.13 to recognize the NVMe without some sort of Hackintosh, installed in a x4 slot

Lycom DT-120 M.2 PCIe to PCIe 3.0 x4 Adapter (Support M.2 PCIe 2280, 2260, 2242)

Samsung 960 PRO Series - 512GB PCIe NVMe - M.2 Internal SSD (MZ-V6P512BW)

This cost $307 at Amazon and the speeds:

Write about 1,400 MB/s Read about 1,500 MB/s

I had some trouble getting the drive
recognized by the current disk utility. I could see it on the hardware info page. So I loaded an old drive with older disk utility and it recognized the drive and I was able to format it.

ShinySteelRobot

macrumors regular
Jul 22, 2002
Upper Left Corner, USA
For people who've performed an NVMe install in a MacBook Pro 13... How's it working for you? How's the heat? Any stability or compatibility issues with High Sierra?

Asking b/c thinking of performing this upgrade myself. :)

Thx in advance for any info!

tabormeister

macrumors member
Jul 9, 2018
Southern PA
For people who've performed an NVMe install in a MacBook Pro 13... How's it working for you? How's the heat? Any stability or compatibility issues with High Sierra?

Asking b/c thinking of performing this upgrade myself. :)

Thx in advance for any info!

I did a 2017 Air and it's absolutely perfect

cweirup

macrumors newbie
Jul 16, 2018
I've done the upgrade with a Samsung EVO 960 and a Sintech adapter (ST-NGFF2013-C) on a MBP Early 2015 13". That seems to be a relatively standard approach. The upgrade went fine, although it took a little wrangling to get the drive to switch to AFPS. However I'm experiencing random reboots. None of the reboots happen when I'm using the MBP, only after it has been sitting unused. It generally happens after about a week, although sometimes sooner, sometimes later. I haven't been able to figure out what's wrong. It doesn't seem like a kernel panic, as the machine is rebooted, but it is somewhat unstable until I do a manual reboot (VPN client doesn't launch, Boxcryptor fails). I'm probably going to post about this elsewhere to see if someone can help me out.

Other than that, it seems to work well. Good speed and heat seems reasonable. There is a little drop in battery life, but that might be more because the battery is getting old. If it weren't for the random crashing, I'd be 100% behind this.

Let me know if you need more info.

UPDATE 2018-11-07: I've actually found out that the rebooting is not related to the SSD upgrade but something else (problem with multiple monitors and WindowServer). Now that I've figured that out, the drive is acting like a champ!

Thanks!
Chris

Last edited:
Reactions: BGM

BGM

macrumors member
Aug 5, 2009
Amsterdam
I've done the upgrade with a Samsung EVO 960 and a Sintech adapter (ST-NGFF2013-C) on a MBP Early 2015 13". That seems to be a relatively standard approach. The upgrade went fine, although it took a little wrangling to get the drive to switch to AFPS. However I'm experiencing random reboots. None of the reboots happen when I'm using the MBP, only after it has been sitting unused. It generally happens after about a week, although sometimes sooner, sometimes later. I haven't been able to figure out what's wrong. It doesn't seem like a kernel panic, as the machine is rebooted, but it is somewhat unstable until I do a manual reboot (VPN client doesn't launch, Boxcryptor fails). I'm probably going to post about this elsewhere to see if someone can help me out.

Other than that, it seems to work well. Good speed and heat seems reasonable. There is a little drop in battery life, but that might be more because the battery is getting old. If it weren't for the random crashing, I'd be 100% behind this.

Let me know if you need more info.

UPDATE 2018-11-07: I've actually found out that the rebooting is not related to the SSD upgrade but something else (problem with multiple monitors and WindowServer). Now that I've figured that out, the drive is acting like a champ!

Thanks!
Chris

Can you clarify what you mean re: a bit of wrangling to switch to AFPS?

I just started a thread a moment ago checking which what the earliest MBP with replacable hard drives support NVME PCIE, but to find that an early 2015 will run at the PCI Express speeds is fantastic!

cweirup

macrumors newbie
Jul 16, 2018
Can you clarify what you mean re: a bit of wrangling to switch to AFPS?

I just started a thread a moment ago checking which what the earliest MBP with replacable hard drives support NVME PCIE, but to find that an early 2015 will run at the PCI Express speeds is fantastic!

Ah, it's been a while, but I remember having an issue with AFPS not showing up as an option for the drive. I believe I had done a clone from a backup that was HFS+, then I tried to convert to AFPS afterwards. I forgot how I got it to come up as an option; I think I booted into the clone and then ran Disk Utility against the new drive. My sense is if you format the drive as AFPS first, you should be okay.

I've been happy with the new drive in my 2015 MBP, especially with the monitor issue being fixed.

sni1075

macrumors newbie
Dec 16, 2018
California
Hi Every one. I'm new to this forum site. I have Mac Pro Late 2013. And read some forum and find out about nVME M2 drives can be run at speed around 3000 Mb/s. I get and install Samsung 970 Evo nVME M2 2TB drive on Mac Pro late 2013 OSX Mojave and getting speed only 1242 MB/s write and 1450 MB/s read.
Any one know how to make it run at full 3000mb/s?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.