Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Mach Disc

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 23, 2017
I’m attempting to install a Samsung 960 Pro into Slot 3 of a Mac Pro 5 1 that’s running High Sierra. I've seen claims that there’s native support for NVMe drives such as the 960 Pro, and I have gotten the Mac to see the drive in disk utility in both safe mode and recovery mode. I’ve formatted the drive to Mac OS Extended (Journaled) for use as a storage drive. Now, on startup, the computer just reboots continuously until I power it off and remove the NVMe drive, and it even does this in safe mode. I can still see the drive in recovery mode. Is there anything that can be done to fix this?

Last edited:
Jul 4, 2015
Paris
I’m attempting to install a Samsung 960 Pro into Slot 3 of a Mac Pro 5 1 that’s running High Sierra. I've seen claims that there’s native support for NVMe drives such as the 960 Pro, and I have gotten the Mac to see the drive in disk utility in both safe mode and recovery mode. I’ve formatted the drive to Mac OS Extended (Journaled). Now, on startup, the computer just reboots continuously until I power it off and remove the NVMe drive, and it even does this in safe mode. I can still see the drive in recovery mode. Is there anything that can be done to fix this?

There has been some discussion that the 5,1 firmware doesn't support all of High Sierra's features. It's too early to tell what will happen next.

Draeconis

macrumors 6502a
May 6, 2008
High Sierra is a Developer Preview / Public Beta. The solution is.. be patient.

You're not clear whether you're trying to boot from this disk, or use it as an additional storage drive either, so it's also worth reiterating NVMe disks cannot currently be booted from natively on these machines.

darkgoob

macrumors 6502
Oct 16, 2008
Make a bug report to Apple. They have publicly stated that High Sierra will install a UEFI firmware update to enable APFS booting, but they said support for mid-2012 Mac Pro is coming in a future seed. We don't know yet if the NVME concerns will get addressed at that seed or not, but I'm keeping my fingers crossed.

handheldgames

macrumors 68000
Apr 4, 2009
Pacific NW, USA
I’m attempting to install a Samsung 960 Pro into Slot 3 of a Mac Pro 5 1 that’s running High Sierra. I've seen claims that there’s native support for NVMe drives such as the 960 Pro, and I have gotten the Mac to see the drive in disk utility in both safe mode and recovery mode. I’ve formatted the drive to Mac OS Extended (Journaled) for use as a storage drive. Now, on startup, the computer just reboots continuously until I power it off and remove the NVMe drive, and it even does this in safe mode. I can still see the drive in recovery mode. Is there anything that can be done to fix this?

Quick thoughts from someone running high Sierra.
Ignore those over reacting. There are bugs but the os is damn stable.
Pull the nvme drive from the pcie board and remount.
Try slot 4.

Reactions: TheStork

Mach Disc

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 23, 2017
Quick thoughts from someone running high Sierra.
Ignore those over reacting. There are bugs but the os is damn stable.
Pull the nvme drive from the pcie board and remount.
Try slot 4.
Slot 4 didn't change anything unfortunately. Neither did slot 2...

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.