Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

misanthrophy

Suspended
Original poster
Aug 16, 2018
Hi,

today I experienced some strange behavior and I hope you can explain me that.

Do basically I enabled FileVault 2 on my NVMe SSD. After the whole encryption and other stuff I made, I shutdown my Mac.

Now I was not able to boot it up properly, as long as I had my NVIDIA GTX TITAN X installed.
When I removed that card and inserted the stock card GTX120, it worked just fine.

My Titan X is a Mac Edition and I am running 10.13.4 with BootROM MP51.0089.B00

Is this expected product behavior, or an issue? I mean, I can work without FV2, but don't get it, why I am not able to boot my machine with the Titan X installed.

Thanks in advance!

misanthrophy

Suspended
Original poster
Aug 16, 2018
Okay, now after further testing I am at the point where I can boot properly into my HDD with the Titan X, or with the SSD with the GT120.

Simply disabling FV2 didn't helped.
Deleting the SSD and cloning the image with CarbonCopyCloner back to the SSD didn't help.

Trying to boot into the SSD with the Titan X installed results in a no screen boot where nothings happens after minutes.

Does someone understand what is going on?

EDIT: I am able to boot into the SSD with the TITAN X, but only if I hold the OPTION key for 20-30 seconds after boot, wait another 10-15 seconds with a black screen and then I can choose the SSD.

System runs approx. 10C hotter right now, but then fans kick in a bit and they go down.

NVRAM reset does not help, it only boots back into the HDD and not the SSD, but also there I need to hold the keys for 30 seconds or more until the boot chime arrives.

SMC reset with no success...

Should I try starting from scratch, delete the SSD and try to install the system manually?

Last edited:

bsbeamer

macrumors 601
Sep 19, 2012
FileVault does NOT work with non-EFI GPUs. That is a well known issue. See the NVIDIA sticky at the top of the forum. Where did you get your Mac Edition TitanX? Have you contacted the seller?

As for NVMe, there's a whole bunch of variables and lots of threads about the finer details. I'd suggest sticking with SATA SSD until you can figure out the GPU issue.

misanthrophy

Suspended
Original poster
Aug 16, 2018
After intense TS multiple clean installs, new BootRom provided by @tsialex no success booting into ANY system natively while the Titan X is installed, no matter if HDD or SSD.

misanthrophy

Suspended
Original poster
Aug 16, 2018
Solution:

new BootRoom138 with NVMe injection
Cleaninstall of NVMe blade
Installation of CUDA and webdriver of GTX Titan X
NOT connecting over Dual Link, but after a NVRAM reset over HDMI

IT WORKS!

Benchmarks better than ever, performance awesome, new microcodes and 5GT/s.

Reactions: crjackson2134
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.