Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

bt878a

macrumors newbie
Aug 16, 2018
Dublin, Ireland
Hi everyone!

I'm aware that this thread is currently mainly related to the SSD expansion and upgrade but can anyone point me to pinout description of the meg-array GPU connector of the Mac Pro 6,1?

@CodeJingle did a lot of work on this in the past and there is information on this thread related to the connections of the CPU to the backplane connector (logic board) but after reading tons of old messages I can't find the result of his investigation when it comes to the meg-array GPU connector of the AMD FireProd GPU board in the Mac Pro.

Any information will be appreciated.

Thanks and happy new year!

tsialex

Contributor
Jun 13, 2016
Apple released 134.0.0.0.0 today with 10.15.3 DP2.

Code:
$IBIOSI$    MP61.88Z.F000.B00.1912181758
Copyright (c) 2005-2019 Apple Inc.  
All rights reserved.
Apple ROM Version
  Model:        MP61
  EFI Version:  134.0.0.0.0
  Built by:     root@saumon
  Date:         Wed Dec 18 17:58:11 PST 2019
  Revision:     134 (B&I)
  ROM Version:  F000_B00
  Build Type:   Official Build, Release
  Compiler:     Apple clang version 3.0 (tags/Apple/clang-211.10.1) (based on LLVM 3.0svn)

Reactions: cgscotto

AppleFarFromTheTree

macrumors newbie
May 27, 2019
Planning on upgrading my Mac Pro 6,1 to NVMe 1TB with the following:

Samsung 970 EVO PRO SSD 1TB
(all the reviews for this on Amazon state not compatible for Mac, however lots of people in here have used it with the latest firmware)

Sintech NGFF M.2 NVMe SSD Adapter

One of the reasons for upgrading is so I can partition and create a bootcamp for Windows. I have read elsewhere that a NTFS and APFS isn't compatible and will cause a lot of kernel panics. Has anyone had any experience with this? I'll most likely do a HFS and NTFS with Mojave. Are there any known issues with that setup? Thanks!

Last edited:

tsialex

Contributor
Jun 13, 2016
10.15.3 DP3 still has 134.0.0.0.0

Code:
$IBIOSI$    MP61.88Z.F000.B00.1912181758
Copyright (c) 2005-2019 Apple Inc. 
All rights reserved.
Apple ROM Version
  EFI Version:  134.0.0.0.0
  Date:         Wed Dec 18 17:58:11 PST 2019
  Revision:     134 (B&I)
  Compiler:     Apple clang version 3.0 (tags/Apple/clang-211.10.1) (based on LLVM 3.0svn)

sbarton

macrumors 6502
May 4, 2001
Planning on upgrading my Mac Pro 6,1 to NVMe 1TB with the following:

Samsung 970 EVO PRO SSD 1TB
(all the reviews for this on Amazon state not compatible for Mac, however lots of people in here have used it with the latest firmware)

Sintech NGFF M.2 NVMe SSD Adapter

One of the reasons for upgrading is so I can partition and create a bootcamp for Windows. I have read elsewhere that a NTFS and APFS isn't compatible and will cause a lot of kernel panics. Has anyone had any experience with this? I'll most likely do a HFS and NTFS with Mojave. Are there any known issues with that setup? Thanks!

Yes, it is true and will happen. Has not been resolved. I ultimately bought a 1TB Apple part so I could do the same thing.
[automerge]1579902007[/automerge]
Another issue that I have with the current firmware is that when booting from Windows 10 back into MacOS using the "option" key, my fans stay at the speed the are during boot. So if they are at 790rpm when booting from Windows 10 to MacOS they will stay that way and cannot even be overridden. System must be shutdown completely and rebooted for fan controller to function properly. I'm on Catalina, latest build of windows 10 and latest bootcamp but this has been an issue for a long time. No, resetting SMC or PRAM does not fix it. I think its just a flakey bug that will never get fixed. This is a 6,1 with Apple 1tb and 64gb apple ram, and 8 core.

Last edited:

AppleFarFromTheTree

macrumors newbie
May 27, 2019
Yes, it is true and will happen. Has not been resolved. I ultimately bought a 1TB Apple part so I could do the same thing.

Anyone know a reputable store to buy one? OWC is selling a used one that's $238 (a whole $10 cheaper than a new one). I don't like the idea of buying a used hard drive and that its $10 less. But, OWC has cornered the market.

sbarton

macrumors 6502
May 4, 2001
ipowerresale is a good source for mac pro 2013 systems and upgrades. They are who i bought all of my stuff from, so might give them a call.

Reactions: R2FX

Dan Streaman

macrumors newbie
Aug 17, 2018
Just upgraded my 6,1 with both MacOS and Windows partitions to 970 EVO Plus 1TB (with new firmware). I got a Sintech NGFF adapter (latest version, see photo below).

Problems encountered:

- The heatsink product recommended in this thread was a disappointment. The thermal tape protective layer didn’t peel off correctly, and left a very thin plastic layer I had to remove it using a cutter (and a lot of patience). If you have thermal issues, it might be due to that almost invisible layer left on the tape. You can notice it because it is slightly reflective.

- I had to cover the base of the adapter pins because the heatsink backplate was almost touching them.

- I cloned the drive and then moved the Windows partition to the end of the new one. So I could finally grow my MacOS partition. At the first login in Windows I got immediately a bluescreen caused by the driver of an unrelated external USB device. Now Windows tells me I cannot login into my original profile, and I got assigned a new profile. Never seen anything like that. Corrupt profile due to bluescreen ? But apart from that, everything seems to work fine in Windows.

- The 970 EVO Plus has a chip that is less thick than the others. Had to use two layers of thermal tape to put it in contact with the heatsink.

- Randomly, I cannot get to the boot selector using the ALT key, and the system is stuck with a black screen. All that is needed is a power-cycle, and then it works again.

Apart from the above issues, the system runs fine. I haven’t used it much though, so can’t be sure everything is 100% ok yet.
Speeds in MacOS are around 1400 MB/s both read and write.
I kept the original drive for firmware updates.
Oh, and I have a good external backup disk ;-)

1580483049847.jpeg

controsol

macrumors newbie
Mar 23, 2011
I recently install a sintech with a Samsung pro, but I have a mini Logitech black Bluetooth keyboard, I can’t force to startup from my bootable Mojave’s Usb, comands startup inky work with the original ssd Apple

anyone can help?

thanks in advance

Dan Streaman

macrumors newbie
Aug 17, 2018
I recently install a sintech with a Samsung pro, but I have a mini Logitech black Bluetooth keyboard, I can’t force to startup from my bootable Mojave’s Usb, comands startup inky work with the original ssd Apple

anyone can help?

thanks in advance
It’s most probably a timing issue.
I have a third-party USB keyboard going through a hub. I can’t stand Apple keyboards.
But I also have to use an additional ultra-small USB keyboard directly connected to the Mac to use just for startup keypresses. Works for me.

controsol

macrumors newbie
Mar 23, 2011
It’s most probably a timing issue.
I have a third-party USB keyboard going through a hub. I can’t stand Apple keyboards.
But I also have to use an additional ultra-small USB keyboard directly connected to the Mac to use just for startup keypresses. Works for me.

Thanks so much I was abandoned the idea but finally and incrediblely startup
[automerge]1580933681[/automerge]
I report a bad response with any finder operations in my 970 pro. And any delay with Bluetooth keyboard in the first use, I will install next Monday the headsink but in apparence not work properly

I can see a firmware but is for the EVO 970

any ideas?

thanks so match

Last edited:

controsol

macrumors newbie
Mar 23, 2011
I thought that the product would bring larger handles (metal tabs to hug) bigger, it has been a nuisance and a problem, it was impossible to hug.

As I did not understand, browsing in Amazon a user was already talking about the 970 pro, I could only hug the handle if you put the thermal foam of a millimeter on the chip part and left the 1.5 for the furthest part of them, you idiot of me don't remember that the ssd is plugged into a Sintech NGFF M.2 nVME -

I finally gave up

anyone finds the right handles ?

I also have doubts if the screw will be short

I will have to reread the forum to see how users have gotten their sandwich, however if someone has been through this I appreciate your help
F31AAD07-B36E-4EB9-9BD4-BC10E4EFD142.png
CB5A7C4E-3807-436B-BB20-A9CE55231C65.png

Dan Streaman

macrumors newbie
Aug 17, 2018
I thought that the product would bring larger handles (metal tabs to hug) bigger, it has been a nuisance and a problem, it was impossible to hug.
As I did not understand, browsing in Amazon a user was already talking about the 970 pro, I could only hug the handle if you put the thermal foam of a millimeter on the chip part and left the 1.5 for the furthest part of them, you idiot of me don't remember that the ssd is plugged into a Sintech NGFF M.2 nVME -
Yes, that product is disappointing.
Use only the thinner thermal pad. You barely have enough of it, so give precedence to the chips on the top side. Even better, buy a decent thermal pad, because the one provided is crap.
The metal clips will be easier to fit if you first stretch them out with your hands to make them looser.
About the screw, don’t worry, it will not be too short. Do not over-tighten the screw.

controsol

macrumors newbie
Mar 23, 2011
Yes, that product is disappointing.
Use only the thinner thermal pad. You barely have enough of it, so give precedence to the chips on the top side. Even better, buy a decent thermal pad, because the one provided is crap.
The metal clips will be easier to fit if you first stretch them out with your hands to make them looser.
About the screw, don’t worry, it will not be too short. Do not over-tighten the screw.

Thank you Dan Streaman

I will take into account the search for a good thermal material, the solution of leaving the finest thermal layer only is also appreciated, the problem of the handle is frustrating, but I already went through the sensation when placing the handles to break the ssd, maybe The solution is to flatten the S-curved handle completely and make a U-shaped mini fold.

Where the hell can you find slightly larger handles?

Thank you

tsialex

Contributor
Jun 13, 2016
Apple released 10.15.4 DP4 (19E250c) today.

MP61:
Code:
$IBIOSI$    MP61.88Z.F000.B00.2002052032
Copyright (c) 2005-2020 Apple Inc.  All rights reserved.
Apple ROM Version
  EFI Version:  135.0.0.0.0
  Date:         Wed Feb  5 20:32:36 PST 2020
  Revision:     135 (B&I)

Reactions: saulinpa

tsialex

Contributor
Jun 13, 2016
Good that the trash can is in more than maintenance mode. Any idea yet what was changed?
Yes, I'm not going into details until Apple official release of 10.15.4, but several main EFI modules were updated with 135.0.0.0.0.

sirfelgar

macrumors newbie
Apr 13, 2017
Hello all,

Thanks for all the great info on this thread. I'm on a bit of an upgrade kick for my Mac Pro 6,1. I recently upgraded to 64GB of RAM, and now I'm finally addressing the internal storage situation.

I've been bumping against the 1TB ceiling for years now, so it'll be good to get to 2TB again (what I was at in my old 2009 MacPro!). I've considered all the options:
1. Boot off an external Thunderbolt 2TB SSD- slower and less elegant, plus no cheaper.
2. OWC Aura Pro X2 2TB SSD- very expensive and not very fast.
3. Angelshark Adapter + 2TB nVME SSD- expensive with the adapter card but the ideal solution.
4. Replace internal 1TB Apple SSD with a 2TB nVME SSD and Sintech adapter- cheapest and fast solution.

Because of price considerations, I think I'm going to go with option 4, although the Angelshark adapter is very tempting and would be good for the future. The two drives I am considering are the HP EX950 M.2 2280 2TB ($273 on Newegg) and the Intel 2TB 660P NVMe M.2 ($220 on B&H). The HP drive is a TLC with faster speeds and longer endurance, and the Intel is QLC with less endurance and is slower. I've read reports of successful operations of both drives in a Mac Pro 6,1. I think I'll get the EK-M.2 NVMe Heatsink as well.

Am I correct in my understanding that I'll have to swap out the nVME SSD for the old Apple one every time I want to update the Bootrom? I'm on 135.0.0.0.0 now, staying on Mojave for the time being. And right now I have a NTFS partition for Bootcamp on my internal 1TB Apple SSD. I've read that this can cause kernel panics on nVME drives– is this still the case? Is there any workaround?

Lastly, I think I have the sequence of events for the installation-
1. Backup my internal drive to Time Machine.
2. Remove old drive and install new one.
3. Boot off Mojave bootable USB stick.
4. Format new drive as APFS.
5. Restore from Time Machine.

Does all of this seem correct? Any comments, suggestions and answers to my questions would be much appreciated. Hope everyone is staying safe.

sbarton

macrumors 6502
May 4, 2001
Hello, yes to both of your questions. Boot rom updates require original apple part and NFS partitions will cause panics.

MisterAndrew

macrumors 68030
Sep 15, 2015
Portland, Ore.
Will NTFS partitions on a genuine Apple NVMe SSD cause panics? The Apple NVMe SSD (SSPOLARIS) comes in 2TB, but it's quite expensive. Might be the best solution if it allows firmware updates and no panics though.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.