Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

drastik

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Apr 10, 2002
Nashvegas
W00t!

Sources: Apple to Use IBM Processor

SAN JOSE, Calif., Oct 14, 2002 (AP Online via COMTEX) -- Apple Computer Inc., which for months has been encouraging PC users to switch to its Macintosh computers, is on the verge of some switching itself.

The company, which has used Motorola microprocessors in most of its Macs since 1984, is the customer of a line of next-generation processors to be unveiled Monday by International Business Machines Corp., according to industry sources.

Unlike today's Windows and Mac desktops, the IBM PowerPC 970 can process data in 64-bit chunks as well as today's standard 32-bit chunks. Sixty-four bit chips, which can address massive amounts of memory, are mostly found today in powerful servers.

cr2sh

macrumors 68030
May 28, 2002
downtown
w00t indeed...

i'm quite pleased with the prospect but one thing i dont like... the time frame and the expected launch frequency... 1.8gigahertz in LATE 2003? come on, I think we can do a little better than that...

If anyone has detailed link to information on the benefits of a 64-bit cpu could you please share?

<edit>
here's a direct link to the article..

http://www.nytimes.com/aponline/technology/AP-IBM-Apple.html

dongmin

macrumors 68000
Jan 3, 2002
well yes the story is on their site but it's an AP wire story. But you're right about the rumoring part. It's rather uncharacteristic of AP to make such a bold assertion when the only sources of info are 'industry insiders' spouting their guesses.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.