Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

sniffies

macrumors 603
Original poster
Jul 31, 2005
somewhere warm, dark, and cozy
Scenario:

You're blasting music through external speakers/HomePod/etc. A call comes in. You want to invoke Control Center in order to pause the music before answering the call. You can't in iOS 12.

Well, not anymore. iOS 13 allows you to invoke Control Center while the phone is ringing.

Screenshot below shows the Control Center with an incoming call ring in progress in the background.

g0L0v3u.png

Last edited:

lolasher

macrumors member
Aug 1, 2014
Why music doesn't automatically pause when someone calls like it happens with media played on Mac? Is that intended behaviour?

Reactions: DblHelix

sniffies

macrumors 603
Original poster
Jul 31, 2005
Why music doesn't automatically pause when someone calls like it happens with media played on Mac? Is that intended behaviour?
It auto-pauses when played on iPhone directly. But when music is sent to external speakers, there’s no reason why it should pause.

When I send media from Mac to external speakers and a call comes in on Mac, the media doesn’t stop playing through external speakers. Same with iPhone.

It’s been like this since day one, which makes most sense.

Last edited:

lolasher

macrumors member
Aug 1, 2014
I wouldn't expect this, it pauses when playing music from phone through car audio, it even pauses YouTube videos on computer. If it didn't happen I would think something is broken. Maybe I had it wrong and it pauses because I can answer call on Mac and car receiver has microphone for hands-free.

sniffies

macrumors 603
Original poster
Jul 31, 2005
I wouldn't expect this, it pauses when playing music from phone through car audio, it even pauses YouTube videos on computer. If it didn't happen I would think something is broken. Maybe I had it wrong and it pauses because I can answer call on Mac and car receiver has microphone for hands-free.
When you play music from iPhone through car audio and a call comes in, where does the call come through? Directly on iPhone or on iPhone through car audio?

lolasher

macrumors member
Aug 1, 2014
Both ways, depends if I'm driving or listening to music while parked. In both scenarios music pauses when phone starts ringing and resumes after call ends.

sniffies

macrumors 603
Original poster
Jul 31, 2005
Both ways, depends if I'm driving or listening to music while parked. In both scenarios music pauses when phone starts ringing and resumes after call ends.
Well, there’s your answer. It auto-pauses on car audio because your call comes through the same source as well, which is car audio.

The rule is simple:

Music pauses automatically during call on all audio sources that currently play the music provided that the call comes through those same audio sources.

lolasher

macrumors member
Aug 1, 2014
Hmm, but it doesn't matter if I press button on receiver and call goes though speaker or I pick up the phone and touch the screen (then call doesn't come though external speakers if doesn't explicitly changed during call).

Reactions: ajayjp

sniffies

macrumors 603
Original poster
Jul 31, 2005
Hmm, but it doesn't matter if I press button on receiver and call goes though speaker or I pick up the phone and touch the screen (then call doesn't come though external speakers if doesn't explicitly changed during call).
The car connection is different from AirPlay. Different technologies. When your iPhone is connected to car audio, an incoming call will pause music no matter what.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.