Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

0dev

macrumors 68040
Dec 22, 2009
Would that proxy thing work on my pay as you go 3GS? I'd like the image compression to go away, and a faster connection can only be a good thing!

This fuss over £2 for 500MB is funny, I still remember the days when I was charged £2 per MB! I got 2MB free browsing once and made it last over a week on my Nokia 6230 running Opera Mini! Good times :D

smr

macrumors 6502a
Sep 14, 2007
Shropshire, UK
To get the best speeds on O2 you need to connect with the APN and username which will bypass the proxy. This is true for the iPhone and Mobile Broadband contracts but unfortunately O2 are not yet allowing the iPad to do this because the service is configured PAYG rather than contract. I confirmed this with O2 tech.

APN mobile.o2.co.uk with Username bypass and Password password connects without going through the optimisation proxy. The proxy is designed to compress images but it also severly limits speed. To give an example I'm in a HSDPA HSUPA area which when the proxy is bypassed gives my iPhone speeds of 2.5/0.3Mbps (the iPhone chip doesn't support HSUPA for higher uploads) and 5/1.5Mbps on Mobile Broadband. The iPad however gets 0.9/0.3Mbps at the same time.

What sort of speeds do you get on the 3 network and how do images look on websites? Are they compressed or unadultered? Thanks

Hmmm, that doesn't sound good.

You say 'O2 are not yet allowing the iPad to do this' - does that imply they might in future?

Also, the 'optimised' graphics are anything but optimal.

I will have to consider one of the other providers if O2 can't sort this! [Can I face the hassle of subscribing to Three... No, things are not that bad yet :rolleyes:]

Ironduke

Suspended
Original poster
Nov 12, 2006
England
Would that proxy thing work on my pay as you go 3GS? I'd like the image compression to go away, and a faster connection can only be a good thing!

This fuss over £2 for 500MB is funny, I still remember the days when I was charged £2 per MB! I got 2MB free browsing once and made it last over a week on my Nokia 6230 running Opera Mini! Good times :D

You obviously have not read the original post properly its nothing to do with how much its todo with being promised 24 hours and being cut off after 9 FFS:rolleyes:

smr

macrumors 6502a
Sep 14, 2007
Shropshire, UK
You obviously have not read the original post properly its nothing to do with how much its todo with being promised 24 hours and being cut off after 9 FFS:rolleyes:

To bring this thread strictly back on topic then, have you contacted O2 about being cut off early?

I have just sent them an email asking why I was cut off after 22 hours. I will post once they reply.

ibosie

macrumors 6502
Jul 12, 2008
London

Unfortunately this feature is not available to PAYG including the iPad.

ibosie

macrumors 6502
Jul 12, 2008
London
Hmmm, that doesn't sound good.

You say 'O2 are not yet allowing the iPad to do this' - does that imply they might in future?

Also, the 'optimised' graphics are anything but optimal.

I will have to consider one of the other providers if O2 can't sort this! [Can I face the hassle of subscribing to Three... No, things are not that bad yet :rolleyes:]

I don't know the answer to that but probably it's just something O2 haven't considered yet. The number of users aware of the ability to bypass the proxy is probably low; indeed many of the customer services staff i've spoken to are not aware of its existence but the tech department can answer these questions if you ask to be put through. I don't understand why optimisation is on by default when there are limits you can choose and pay for. O2 optimisation is pretty severe.

Ironduke

Suspended
Original poster
Nov 12, 2006
England
To bring this thread strictly back on topic then, have you contacted O2 about being cut off early?

I have just sent them an email asking why I was cut off after 22 hours. I will post once they reply.

STill waiting chief, Im not going to use the £2 thing again until I know its working right.

BigMovieGeek

macrumors regular
May 22, 2010
I had the same issue with my 1 day internet expiring at midnight. I reported it to O2 the other day and they've just got back to me saying that it won't happen again (ie it'll be 24 hours from now on) and I'll get a free day for my trouble (this Saturday).

Streethawk

macrumors 6502
Feb 25, 2010
Manchester, UK
To get the best speeds on O2 you need to connect with the APN and username which will bypass the proxy. This is true for the iPhone and Mobile Broadband contracts but unfortunately O2 are not yet allowing the iPad to do this because the service is configured PAYG rather than contract. I confirmed this with O2 tech.

APN mobile.o2.co.uk with Username bypass and Password password connects without going through the optimisation proxy. The proxy is designed to compress images but it also severly limits speed. To give an example I'm in a HSDPA HSUPA area which when the proxy is bypassed gives my iPhone speeds of 2.5/0.3Mbps (the iPhone chip doesn't support HSUPA for higher uploads) and 5/1.5Mbps on Mobile Broadband. The iPad however gets 0.9/0.3Mbps at the same time.

What sort of speeds do you get on the 3 network and how do images look on websites? Are they compressed or unadultered? Thanks

Thanks, i just tested your settings against a friends identical iPhone 3g and it was definitely a touch faster. Now we've both set our phones to that setting.

Strangely i then used the same test website against my iPad on 3, and the iPhone won, by about 5 seconds. Yet loading the Macrumors homepage on both devices and the iPad won by about 20 seconds. :confused:

Anyway, i'm perfectly happy with how both perform on 3G, but i prefer 3's signal as it seems to give much better coverage.

wrkactjob

macrumors 65816
Feb 29, 2008
London

Where do you put these settings in? Cellular Data? Mine are currently APN= wap.o2.co.uk with username vertigo is this where you would enter the settings you mentioned?

ibosie

macrumors 6502
Jul 12, 2008
London
Where do you put these settings in? Cellular Data? Mine are currently APN= wap.o2.co.uk with username vertigo is this where you would enter the settings you mentioned?

Yes but I think you'll need either an iPhone or Mobile Broadband SIM ... taking a guess you have something else if the APN is wap...

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.