Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Xenoxide

macrumors member
Original poster
Jul 14, 2008
Hi,

I went for the 32GB WiFi version and bought a MiFi from Three at the same time, and I've had nothing but connection issues.

Since then I've unlocked the device and tried using my iPhone's O2 sim in it and it works perfectly. However, as on the iPhone, images appear compressed.

Does O2 do the same with the iPad plan? I want to order the sim and put it in my MiFi (Yes I know it's a micro sim, I can still make it work...) Hopefully they leave the images uncompressed.

Cheers!

ibosie

macrumors 6502
Jul 12, 2008
London
Hi,

I went for the 32GB WiFi version and bought a MiFi from Three at the same time, and I've had nothing but connection issues.

Since then I've unlocked the device and tried using my iPhone's O2 sim in it and it works perfectly. However, as on the iPhone, images appear compressed.

Does O2 do the same with the iPad plan? I want to order the sim and put it in my MiFi (Yes I know it's a micro sim, I can still make it work...) Hopefully they leave the images uncompressed.

Cheers!

You need a SIM that's provisioned for the APN mobile.o2.co.uk then connect with Username bypass Password password. Unfortunately PAYG and the micro SIMs are not provisioned to do this. If you want to use a MiFi to bypass the proxy (image optimiser) you'll need one that takes a mini SIM and pay for something like a 30 day contract to get provisioned for mobile.o2.co.uk

Avoiding the proxy also makes the full HSDPA/HSUPA available.

Xenoxide

macrumors member
Original poster
Jul 14, 2008
I posted this in another duplicate topic just a few days ago, but try this.
http://www.edandersen.com/2008/07/13/iphone-o2-fix-the-image-compression/

Wow, that worked perfectly with the sim in both my MiFi and my iPhone. Thanks. :)

You need a SIM that's provisioned for the APN mobile.o2.co.uk then connect with Username bypass Password password. Unfortunately PAYG and the micro SIMs are not provisioned to do this. If you want to use a MiFi to bypass the proxy (image optimiser) you'll need one that takes a mini SIM and pay for something like a 30 day contract to get provisioned for mobile.o2.co.uk

Avoiding the proxy also makes the full HSDPA/HSUPA available.

Hmm, ok. Do you happen to know what O2 products come with a sim that's setup to use mobile.o2.co.uk? And does that also mean that for iPad users with the O2 microsim there's no way for them to get uncompressed images?

ibosie

macrumors 6502
Jul 12, 2008
London
Wow, that worked perfectly with the sim in both my MiFi and my iPhone. Thanks. :)

Hmm, ok. Do you happen to know what O2 products come with a sim that's setup to use mobile.o2.co.uk? And does that also mean that for iPad users with the O2 microsim there's no way for them to get uncompressed images?

At the moment iPhone & Mobile Broadband contract SIMs are provisioned with it. We need to make some noise at O2 to get them to realise people want this on the iPad as well - ability to use the internet without "optimisation".

CEO ronan.dunne@o2.co.uk

:)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.