Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Macman45

macrumors G5
Original poster
Jul 29, 2011
Somewhere Back In The Long Ago
Has anyone with an O2 contract in the UK tried tethering Thier iPad? The policy on the site seems to indicate that they do support it, but price is vague, and customer services suck.

Last edited:

MonkeySee....

macrumors 68040
Sep 24, 2010
UK
On my 4s I have a "personal hotspot" option. It's that the same as tethering? I've not tried it yet

Macman45

macrumors G5
Original poster
Jul 29, 2011
On my 4s I have a "personal hotspot" option. It's that the same as tethering? I've not tried it yet

That option is greyed out and not selectable on my 4S, but that may be be ause I'm on wifi when I'm home....I don't think they are exactly the same thing, but I'm not well up on hacking and tethering stuff...It's something I'd like to have as an option if away from wifi, and carrying my iPad, or MBA around.

In the US, Verizon offer it as an option on a PAYG basis....Just. Can't get the pathetic O2 customer services dept. to give me an answer.

JUiCEJamie

macrumors 6502a
Mar 22, 2011
I'm on my iPad, tethering as I type this.
With my plan, tethering/personal hotspot doesn't cost any more. It just counts towards your data allowance.

I've got "The Works" which is 1GB a month. (£10.) Just about what I use.

Macman45

macrumors G5
Original poster
Jul 29, 2011
I'm on my iPad, tethering as I type this.
With my plan, tethering/personal hotspot doesn't cost any more. It just counts towards your data allowance.

I've got "The Works" which is 1GB a month. (£10.) Just about what I use.

I've got the " All Rounder " for iPhone....It's my phone, purchased from Apple. So I can tether and just use my normal data allowance? I'd like to have it confirmed from somewhere definitely!....:)

MonkeySee....

macrumors 68040
Sep 24, 2010
UK
That option is greyed out and not selectable on my 4S, but that may be be ause I'm on wifi when I'm home....I don't think they are exactly the same thing, but I'm not well up on hacking and tethering stuff...It's something I'd like to have as an option if away from wifi, and carrying my iPad, or MBA around.

In the US, Verizon offer it as an option on a PAYG basis....Just. Can't get the pathetic O2 customer services dept. to give me an answer.

Mmm ok. I'm on the £37 a month contract. Maybe it's included in my plan

Macman45

macrumors G5
Original poster
Jul 29, 2011
Yeah. 2 year contract :(

Well, if it's okay for you to do it it should be okay for me....Thing is, they don't like people who buy phones from Apple...They can't screw as much money out of me...I might try it and get a whopping extra bill just for doing it....I guess I'll try phoning them again...That "ask lucy" thing is a piece of C*** and the CS staff are no better! Thing is, the service and coverage are excellent..

Gav2k

macrumors G3
Jul 24, 2009
Wirelessly posted (iPhone 4s: Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; CPU iPhone OS 5_1 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/534.46 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.1 Mobile/9B179 Safari/7534.48.3)

It's included in all O2 iPhone contracts with a data limit. Those like me still on unlimited do not have the option and must purchase a separate bolt on data allowance.

Basically if you have a newer contract with a 500mb+ cap it'll just eat into that when you tether (personal hotspot)

Macman45

macrumors G5
Original poster
Jul 29, 2011
Wirelessly posted (iPhone 4s: Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; CPU iPhone OS 5_1 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/534.46 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.1 Mobile/9B179 Safari/7534.48.3)

It's included in all O2 iPhone contracts with a data limit. Those like me still on unlimited do not have the option and must purchase a separate bolt on data allowance.

Basically if you have a newer contract with a 500mb+ cap it'll just eat into that when you tether (personal hotspot)

I have a 1GB allowance....That's good to know...If I need to use it I just will, I give up of ever getting a straight answer from the so called Customer Service section. I sent them an email, but I'm not holding my breath waiting for a reply anytime soon. It's rare I'm without wifi anyway, but it does happen from time to time.....ThNks for the info!..:)

stridemat

Staff member
Apr 2, 2008
UK
I've got the " All Rounder " for iPhone....It's my phone, purchased from Apple. So I can tether and just use my normal data allowance? I'd like to have it confirmed from somewhere definitely!....:)

Give O2 a call. Internet tethering is included on the all rounder data bolt on! I had the same problem, I needed up having to carry out a clean install, which was slightly annoying.

Macman45

macrumors G5
Original poster
Jul 29, 2011
Give O2 a call. Internet tethering is included on the all rounder data bolt on! I had the same problem, I needed up having to carry out a clean install, which was slightly annoying.

Damn...I'll try them again tomorrow, it's not like I'm in a rush for it....On the web site, my account shows that I have a bolt on, but it isn't clear what it's actually for....as clear as mud..Thanks for the tip..:)

MonkeySee....

macrumors 68040
Sep 24, 2010
UK
Well, if it's okay for you to do it it should be okay for me....Thing is, they don't like people who buy phones from Apple...They can't screw as much money out of me...I might try it and get a whopping extra bill just for doing it....I guess I'll try phoning them again...That "ask lucy" thing is a piece of C*** and the CS staff are no better! Thing is, the service and coverage are excellent..

Exactly. I'd rather have gone with 3 but I live in the sticks and I have two hopes of getting a signal

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.