Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Dhlittle

macrumors member
Original poster
Jan 1, 2010
According to O2's twitter, they will not have any stock of iPhone 5s in stores on Fri 20th. It will be "available to order" only with no indication of when that order will be fulfilled. Days? Weeks? Months?

Three seem to be saying they will have launch day stock.

Any information from other networks?

UPDATE 16/9/2013 14:47:
O2 - no stock in-stores on 20th
Three - now unsure, recommending phoning local stores to check closer to the time
Vodafone - no information available
EE - unsure, recommending checking with local stores

Last edited:

skoldpadda

macrumors 6502
Sep 28, 2010
Vodafone's Online Representatives are saying the same. You will only be able to order in store on Friday not purchase.

Turning out to be a really crappy launch!

Also EE online representatives are asking you to check with your closest store.

dspalton

macrumors 6502a
Jul 28, 2008
Fleet, UK
Hani: Hi my name is O2 : Hani, how may I help?
David Spalton: hi there. just looking for the latest on getting the 5S in store on the 20th on launch day for my business contracts
Hani: Just so you know, you can place the order in the O2 store however you won't be able to get it on the 20th from the store.

:mad:
That sucks

dspalton

macrumors 6502a
Jul 28, 2008
Fleet, UK
On the business lease it upgrades every 12 months but it has to be via the ****ing network

Last edited by a moderator:

dumastudetto

macrumors 603
Aug 28, 2013
Los Angeles, USA
My 'local' Apple store is just over 100 miles away.

Is 100 miles really too far to travel to get your hands on the 5s on launch day? I've travelled more than 300 miles in the past to get the 3GS. And I would do the same this week to make sure I got the 5s if that's what I needed to do. This day only comes around once a year afterall.

It matters because I wanted to pay for it over the contract period rather than having to stump up £639 upfront.

Sorry to hear that. I prefer to buy upfront because over the longhaul you definitely save money.

Steve121178

macrumors 603
Apr 13, 2010
Bedfordshire, UK
According to O2's twitter, they will not have any stock of iPhone 5s in stores on Fri 20th. It will be "available to order" only with no indication of when that order will be fulfilled. Days? Weeks? Months?

Three seem to be saying they will have launch day stock.

Any information from other networks?

If you want to go with O2 then place your order and wait. No big deal.

----------

Is 100 miles really too far to travel to get your hands on the 5s on launch day? I've travelled more than 300 miles in the past to get the 3GS. And I would do the same this week to make sure I got the 5s if that's what I needed to do. This day only comes around once a year afterall.

Don't you have the internet where you live? When pre-order is available you normally get it on release day and for the 5S if you order Friday you should get it Monday.

Driving those distances just because you are impatient is utter madness.

Dhlittle

macrumors member
Original poster
Jan 1, 2010
If you want to go with O2 then place your order and wait. No big deal.

----------

You're right, it isn't a big deal, however it is certainly annoying. As of now O2 have no information about when these orders will be fulfilled, it could conceivably be weeks. Also, I happen to be off work on Friday, if I have to order for home delivery, I'll almost certainly be out when they try to deliver it and will then have to pick it up from the delivery centre, which is miles away.

Therefore if it is available on launch day in store with another network, I would strongly consider moving :)

Dhlittle

macrumors member
Original poster
Jan 1, 2010
Is the 5S even compatible with o2 4G?

No, not at the moment. Apparently a software update from Apple will sort that out but not expected until November.

Having said that, I have no interest in 4G if I have to pay extra for it. 3G suits me just fine.

skoldpadda

macrumors 6502
Sep 28, 2010
You're right, it isn't a big deal, however it is certainly annoying. As of now O2 have no information about when these orders will be fulfilled, it could conceivably be weeks. Also, I happen to be off work on Friday, if I have to order for home delivery, I'll almost certainly be out when they try to deliver it and will then have to pick it up from the delivery centre, which is miles away.

Therefore if it is available on launch day in store with another network, I would strongly consider moving :)

I too am off on Friday and will have the same issue with delivery whilst I am at work.

Three said they will have stock in on the 20th however they have reversed that and are now saying we are hoping to have stock on the 20th.

No real clarity from any of the carriers.

steveza

macrumors 68000
Feb 20, 2008
UK
Don't you have the internet where you live? When pre-order is available you normally get it on release day and for the 5S if you order Friday you should get it Monday.

Driving those distances just because you are impatient is utter madness.
100 miles on a motorway is no problem - I live 100 miles for Heathrow and I drive there quite often - but the same distance on A roads would be a pain.

Not sure the deliveries will be on Monday unless the couriers are working over the weekend, they might be but I don't think that is a given right now.

Dhlittle

macrumors member
Original poster
Jan 1, 2010
I too am off on Friday and will have the same issue with delivery whilst I am at work.

Three said they will have stock in on the 20th however they have reversed that and are now saying we are hoping to have stock on the 20th.

No real clarity from any of the carriers.

Yes, Three seem to be stepping back from promises of stock on 20th. I suspect no networks will have stock on 20th and the only place to get the 5s will be an Apple store. I hope there will be a bit more clarity as the week progresses.

JonLa

macrumors 6502
Dec 22, 2009
Surely this strongly suggests that the lack of preorders reflects constrained supply of the 5s?

Mercenary

macrumors 65816
Sep 17, 2012
Buy from an apple store. They can do carrier upgrades and new contracts. So no need to stump up the full ammount.

You have to buy in store though. Online is unlocked only.

KeanosMagicHat

macrumors 68000
May 18, 2012
It matters because I wanted to pay for it over the contract period rather than having to stump up £639 upfront.

I'm guessing Apple have changed their instore policy then?

I'm currently on a 4S, but when I bought my 3GS that was directly from Apple and they asked me who I wanted as my carrier and what plan I wanted to go on.

I can't remember whether they had the full choice of options, but I found one that suited me and walked out with the phone.

EDIT: Seems some Mercenary beat me to it :)

Azy

macrumors regular
Jun 13, 2012
Buy from an apple store. They can do carrier upgrades and new contracts. So no need to stump up the full ammount.

You have to buy in store though. Online is unlocked only.

Some of us have to purchase directly from carriers for EAP schemes and such. I'm getting a bit bored of the secrecy coming from carriers about the launch. We are no days away from the launch of the 5S and I still don't known where I can it and how much it's going to cost me from Vodafone! Even on Vodafones one forums they're not saying anything about anything

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.