Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

H2SO4

macrumors 603
Original poster
Nov 4, 2008
All, hi.

I wonder if anybody can help. Today alone I’ve gone through almost a gig of downloads to get an app that will allow me to do a good quality freehand drawing but none are suitable as I’m after a particular quality.
I need one that sees not each stroke, but each time I use a finger or stylus continually without lifting from the surface as an object that I can delete in it’s entirety in one action.

Usually an app has an eraser which is good for removing part of a brush stroke. I want to be able to remove the entire brush stroke with one click, (or use the eraser tool when it suits of course). For example;

When I write a capital ‘K’, for me it consists of two discrete objects.
The first is a continuous line from the top left to the bottom left corner, (of an imaginary box), followed by a change in direction and without lifting the pen I would then move from bottom left to top right.
The second object is to move from a point where two diagonals in that same imaginary box meet down to the bottom right corner.

Hope that’s clear, thanks?

GerritV

macrumors 68020
May 11, 2012
The GoodNotes Eraser tool has an option "Entire Line".
When activated, you can erase a whole stroke by just touching a part of it.
So if you were to draw your K in one move, you can then erase it completely by touching a point of the letter. If you'd draw it in two strokes, you'll need to touch a point of both strokes with the eraser.

Notes Plus allows you to "strike through" whatever you'd like to erase, no matter how many strokes there are.
Draw your K in one, two or even three strokes. Strike it through (from right to left) and the whole letter disappears.

Both apps can do that thanks to their vectorizing approach.

I think the question now will have to be: do either of these apps qualify as a freehand drawing app? IMHO they don't - they're rather note taking apps, you won't find real drawing tools in them.

Did you check iDraw?

Jessica Lares

macrumors G3
Oct 31, 2009
Near Dallas, Texas, USA
So if you were to draw your K in one move, you can then erase it completely by touching a point of the letter. If you'd draw it in two strokes, you'll need to touch a point of both strokes with the eraser.

Notes Plus allows you to "strike through" whatever you'd like to erase, no matter how many strokes there are.
Draw your K in one, two or even three strokes. Strike it through (from right to left) and the whole letter disappears.

I think the question now will have to be: do either of these apps qualify as a freehand drawing app? IMHO they don't - they're rather note taking apps, you won't find real drawing tools in them.

Did you check iDraw?

I was going to say Notes Plus. It didn't work that way though. At least when I tried doing a "K", it wouldn't see it as a I and <, even with a small pause of writing it, and would erase the whole letter.

H2SO4

macrumors 603
Original poster
Nov 4, 2008

Did you check iDraw?

That Goodnotes appears to be quite good. I’m just wandering if I want to spend the money to try it out. I’m not sure that iDraw will work tho.
You know what’s odd, now that I’m used to cheap apps, (we all are), £3.99 seems a lot. You hear people on the App Store that are outraged and demanding their £0.69 back sometimes too.

----------

I was going to say Notes Plus. It didn't work that way though. At least when I tried doing a "K", it wouldn't see it as a I and <, even with a small pause of writing it, and would erase the whole letter.

Thanks for the heads up on Notes plus. I’m just wondering if this thing about 2 week refunds in Europe will apply if an app doesn’t do what I need.

H2SO4

macrumors 603
Original poster
Nov 4, 2008
Look around here and see what are your options in general:

https://reportaproblem.apple.com

Might be fine.

All over it. Thanks.

----------

PAYMENTS, TAXES, AND REFUND POLICY

You agree that you will pay for all products you purchase through the Stores, and that iTunes may charge your payment method for any products purchased and for any additional amounts (including any taxes and late fees, as applicable) that may be accrued by or in connection with your Account. You are responsible for the timely payment of all fees and for providing iTunes with a valid payment method for payment of all fees. For details of how purchases are billed please visit http://support.apple.com/kb/HT5582. You agree to receipt of all invoices in an electronic format, which may include email.

Your total price will include the price of the product plus any applicable VAT (in effect on the day of download). By using the United Kingdom store you are specifying that as your country of residence for tax purposes.

Right of cancellation: If you choose to cancel your order, you may do so within 14 days from when you received your receipt without giving any reason, except iTunes Gifts which cannot be refunded once you have redeemed the code.

To cancel your order, you must inform us of your decision. To ensure immediate processing we recommend you use Report a Problem to cancel all items with the exception of iTunes Match, Season Pass, Multi-Pass and, unless purchased from a third party or redeemed, iTunes Gifts and Allowances, which can be cancelled by contacting iTunes Support. You also have the right to inform us using the model cancellation form below or by making any other clear statement. If you use Report a Problem we will communicate acknowledgement of receipt of your cancellation to you without delay.

To meet the cancellation deadline, you must send your communication of cancellation before the 14-day period has expired.

Effects of cancellation: We will reimburse you no later than 14 days from the day on which we receive your cancellation notice. We will use the same means of payment as you used for the transaction, and you will not incur any fees for such reimbursement.

Exception to the right of cancellation: You cannot cancel your order for the supply of digital content if the delivery has started upon your request and acknowledgement that you thereby lose your cancellation right.

GerritV

macrumors 68020
May 11, 2012
That Goodnotes appears to be quite good. I’m just wandering if I want to spend the money to try it out. I’m not sure that iDraw will work tho.
You know what’s odd, now that I’m used to cheap apps, (we all are), £3.99 seems a lot. You hear people on the App Store that are outraged and demanding their £0.69 back sometimes too.

GoodNotes is great. The past week I've been cleaning out my 2014 notebooks (handwritten in GoodNotes, typed in Notebooks). These 2 apps can exchange files directly in two directions (using pdf) without needing anything else. I think that's quite cool and something you may not find in the cheap apps.

H2SO4

macrumors 603
Original poster
Nov 4, 2008
GoodNotes is great. The past week I've been cleaning out my 2014 notebooks (handwritten in GoodNotes, typed in Notebooks). These 2 apps can exchange files directly in two directions (using pdf) without needing anything else. I think that's quite cool and something you may not find in the cheap apps.

I have now purchased Goodnotes. It is very good too. Does exactly what I need to do.
Thanks for all your input and thankyou everybody else for yours too.

GerritV

macrumors 68020
May 11, 2012
I have now purchased Goodnotes. It is very good too. Does exactly what I need to do.
Thanks for all your input and thankyou everybody else for yours too.

You're most welcome OP.
Best of luck with GoodNotes, don't hesitate to ask questions if needed.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.